I hate (a feature of) this site!!!

Mainly cos its soooo addictive but one thing reeeeeeeallllllyyyy pee's me off. :angry:

When I log on and click view new posts I can see all the wonderful threads I can (crash ;) ) add my valuable experience too :teeth: The problem comes when I just take a quick peeps at the site and all the new threads to be read. Sometimes I don't have time to read them at the time and decide to read them when I get home or later on. When I come to do this and click the new posts they have all disappeared as if I have read them!!! The only way to find any unread stuff is to trawl through every category and sub category to find each and every one. Even then the all the little zed emblems go light grey so its very difficult to find anything unread. At least on the other side ( :ninja: ) they have a little square next to the thread title indicating that there are post that are unread within this thread :thumbs:

Can we not have something like this? Or a facility to search for any unread posts within the last 3days etc etc :blush:

:D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ideal sarnie as I sometimes do this, however its the same on almost every forum I go to. Therefore must be difficult to fix.

Never know we may be lucky, will wait to see if there is a way from the admins

PS may be better to label the thread "I hate this feature" as I am sure you do not hate the site.

Good ideal sarnie as I sometimes do this, however its the same on almost every forum I go to. Therefore must be difficult to fix.

Never know we may be lucky, will wait to see if there is a way from the admins

PS may be better to label the thread "I hate this feature" as I am sure you do not hate the site.

Title amended :ninja:

I appreciate that it may happen on other sites but over on the OC the little squares tells you if you have read the thread :surrender:

I just dont log on when i know for a fact I won't have time to read all the threads.... the forum is getting busier, and the threads to read are many more than when we started... not sure it can be fixed guys, see what Chris says

I just dont log on when i know for a fact I won't have time to read all the threads.... the forum is getting busier, and the threads to read are many more... not sure it can be fixed guys, see what Chris says

Surely it can be fixed as on the otherside unread threads are clearly indicated with square :headhurt:

Ill have a look at this guys... I know its an issue, and it happens for me too.

Especially if you log out, then log back in.. (which I do for testing every now and then) That wipes them out too..

Ill see what I can do as regards setting the unread posts to permanent and also giving an option for all new posts in the last X hours.

Ill have a look at this guys... I know its an issue, and it happens for me too.

Especially if you log out, then log back in.. (which I do for testing every now and then) That wipes them out too..

Ill see what I can do as regards setting the unread posts to permanent and also giving an option for all new posts in the last X hours.

:thumbs:

I just dont log on when i know for a fact I won't have time to read all the threads.... the forum is getting busier, and the threads to read are many more... not sure it can be fixed guys, see what Chris says

Surely it can be fixed as on the otherside unread threads are clearly indicated with square :headhurt:

different softwares???? :p

Good news! - I believe I have found a solution..

It will keep all the unread flags set forever. But if you want to mark any specific areas as "read" you can do, leaving all other posts in other areas that you have not read yet, set to unread.

Sound about right for folk?

Good news! - I believe I have found a solution..

It will keep all the unread flags set forever. But if you want to mark any specific areas as "read" you can do, leaving all other posts in other areas that you have not read yet, set to unread.

Sound about right for folk?

Sounds perfect to me, well done Chris. Busy at work today then?? :lol:

No, seriously top change :thumbs:

nope, explain?

ie i use the read new posts button, then after reading a thread, it stays flagged as unread? nope, that'll be confusing as hell imo

But can't you select what you wanted to mark as read? So you could do what you're doing, and just before logging out mark as read the ones you've had chance to look at

No - once you read anything it will go to read (light grey).

But if you log on, see 100 unread posts, read 20 of them then log off for the night. When you log on again next morning, the other 80 will still be there.

It basically leaves all the unread marks for ever until you read the thread.

It also gives you the ability to mark entire sections as read if you want to.

Guest prescience

Excellent news. I've been banging on about this since I can't remember when**

** Perhaps with this feature, I would've been able to remember when too ;)

But if you log on, see 100 unread posts, read 20 of them then log off for the night. When you log on again next morning, the other 80 will still be there.

aaaaa that'd be perfect then! :thumbs:

Make it so number one.

I thought that it would be the right thing for the job...

Well - 44 pages of coding for me then... :blush:

And you think im joking. :headhurt:

See you in a while....:)

Edit - I think I might try the automatic method, although as our software is highly modified there is the chance that it will go horribly wrong.

If it does - expect a brief blip in service whilst I put it back. LOL