Why does my UK Zed bog down around 120mph

colsy

'I wonder for some reason its had a JDM ECU fitted at the factory by mistake'

Anyway of checking?

What really makes me think is that the car pulls great throgh the first 3 gears, only starting to struggle at the end of 4th, Now the engine has performed throughout the range in these first 3 gears, therfore providing the gearbox has not been tampered with....and why would you tamper with 5th and 6th??? the only other thing that can be effecting it (other than abnormal drag...and my Zed looks like every other Zed) is ECU intervention...the engine goes through the same motions and processes in every gear, and is oblivious to road speed??? BAFFLED!!!

I dont know if it helps....

used to have a maserati 4200gt....which at some point and after a lot of abuse broke one of the gearbox mounts....which knocked the middle bit of the exhaust and as a result turned the CEL light on due to the O2 sensors reading F..k all!!!

The car run ok up to 110-120 mph but after that nothing...from stand still it was slightly slower than normal but nothing you would have noticed if you didnt drive the car before and after...

JCT600 in Leeds said its a safety thing in the ECU....suppose it has to do with the mixture fuel/air...

Reshaped the exhaust...changed the box mount...changed knackered clutch btw and £2500 later it was ok.... :lol:

Just a thought...could it be the same??? apart from the CEL light that is... :)

I will check, but it i don't think it stops accelerating..it creeps. I will go on a longer run with it tomorrow and record some times on the 'test track' near me and you guys can maybe tell me if the figures are inline with your own car's performance?

I did a proper HPI Check...came back with nothing regarding the vehicle being imported, and it is an identifiable in the check. I think I can be sure it was born in the UK, haven't found anything other than the speed issue to suggest otherwise.

I will try the ECU reset...thinkers crossed.

Greekman, your infor re your masserati is really interesting, I will look into it, and see if I can see any similarities and report back, thank you.

If it was a JDM ECU, what things would show up different on a computer if I was to get it hooked up?

Thanks again!!

I will check, but it i don't think it stops accelerating..it creeps. I will go on a longer run with it tomorrow and record some times on the 'test track' near me and you guys can maybe tell me if the figures are inline with your own car's performance?

I did a proper HPI Check...came back with nothing regarding the vehicle being imported, and it is an identifiable in the check. I think I can be sure it was born in the UK, haven't found anything other than the speed issue to suggest otherwise.

I will try the ECU reset...thinkers crossed.

Greekman, your infor re your masserati is really interesting, I will look into it, and see if I can see any similarities and report back, thank you.

If it was a JDM ECU, what things would show up different on a computer if I was to get it hooked up?

Thanks again!!

before i started tuning my z it did that in 4th too... now i hit the speed limiter in 4th. foes sound like u got the same limiter,,, very odd, get the number off the ecu!

a.

So strange that a ecu reset does the job.

On a simalar note, i have a Pug 106 1.2 as a run around and that has had a lumpy feel to it and at higher speeds a missfire. I replaced plugs, airfilter, oil, new back box and checked for air leaks ect..... and it was miles better but not perfect :dry:

Last week i disconnected the battery over night, resetting the ecu and ever since the car drive's like new :yahoo: what a result. :thumbs: