Political Correctness bit far?

stanski

Personally I think very wrong :thumbdown: A Jackson skit could've been done without the 'minstrel' theme and still been very funny - I like nothing better then ripping the P*ss out of MJ :D ................. and we need to remember how right wing and predominantly white Australian society is - in my experience both over there and having friends and family who are Ozzy racism is ingrained into that society - what passes for acceptable over there would cause bloody riots over here. So the so called survey done by news.au really isn't valid IMHO.

To be honest Viks I did'nt actually read the story (too much work at work!) just heard it on the wireless this morning and thought they looked funny in the pictures!

I do agree with you some of our Aussie friends leave a lot to be desired on the equal opportunities front however as is every country including ours!

I dont think they even considered or thought about their actions in that way - they were just trying to be funny (I guess without seeing them perform etc etc) so its more likely they are just stoopid rather than anything else. :bangin:

Oh well they made the headlines anyway...... :blink:

Political correctness can definitely be a bit too much sometimes but when i see things like that I don't like it. I have two young newphews who are black aged 8 and 2 and I would have trouble explaining that one to them.

for me the act wasn't actually that funny, abit poor taste, but at the end of the day, if your white and trying to do a comedy sketch that includes black people, and you don't have any black people to do it you are at a bit of a loss.

is it any different to people like avid merrion using black masks etc when hi does bo selecta, what about spitting image useing black puppets.

you have to draw a line somewhere. yes it was poor taste but it wasn't a deliberate racisit attack. they were just trying to be funny and failed miserably.

i have dual nationality and my other passport is ozzy, and yes the ozzies can be abit backward when it comes to multicultural issues. but i think we take it to far in this country.

By definition that was not racism though! It wasn't poking fun at blacks, it was poking fun at the Jackson 5!

If it had been a generalised act making blacks out to be inferior, then yes it would have been racist - check out the definition of racism for yourselves!

Is it wrong to say the Jackson 5 were black (well maybe there was some doubt about Michael towards the end lol)? If thats the case I give up on society ffs....

its one of those issues you will always get different opinions on, I guess i'm more sensitive to it because of my nephews and how protective i feel towards them living in a place where they are the only black children etc.

my ex fiancee was black and as dark as a piece of mahogany, and when i first started meeting her family i was overly cautious etc and not wanting to offend etc. refering to the family as afro carribean etc. they thought it was hilarious, they were very much say it how you see it types of people. and so were most of their friends and family. they saw the funny sides of things. but like anyone wouldn't put up with personal attacks, verbal or phsyical.

i once had a fellow student ask me on a bus how i could date "someone" like that, and didn't i feel dirty, among other comments.

i smiled and told him if he talked about my girlfiend like that again i'd cave his face in. he looked really perplexed and couldn't believe he'd offended me. suppose it was just his up bringing, his dad was very racist.

people are to over sensitive these days, and scared of offending everyone and anyone.

that was just a crap joke executed badly. if they'd done it and made black jokes etc and been offensive to black people then take them out side and flog them. but it wasn't.