Broken exhaust... putty??

marzman

Hey guys,

I've had my dad staying with me this last week, and every time we've left my street i've bottomed out on the spead humps due to the extra weight in the car!

Anyway, i noticed yesterday when i started it up, the exhaust is making a really odd noise. It sounds almost subdued but echo-ey as well... its hard to explain. Definitely different though.

So i jacked it up tonight, blocked one pipe with a towel, and held a piece of wood to the other exit briefly to see if i can see it blowing from anywhere, but i cant. Even had the missus revving it while i was underneath, but again, i cant see it blowing.

The sound is coming specifically from the back box though, if that helps?

My next question is - is a blowing exhaust an MOT failure - as thats due next week :headhurt:

Okay, so i got it on a ramp tonight and as i feared, the common fault has occurred - on the back box side of the joint the weld has cracked.

So my guy at the garage has whacked a load of exhaust putty on it, which has stopped the blowing, and he says it should get it through my MOT.

Does anyone know how long this will last? He gave me a tub to keep re-applying if needs be. Will it be alright getting through the MOT using this?

Why not take this opertunity to get a swanky new exhaust!

...cos i've had 600 quids worth of swanky new brakes, plus tax, insurance and MOT this month!! I had a K1 for a couple of months but hated it, i like the stock sound wit the JWT. :)