decat pipes...worth it? much gain?

sketch

before anyone says, yes i am aware it not strictly legal and wont pass an mot and all that jazz...

just looking to find out if there are any real gains from fitting decat pipes, im used to turbo cars not v6s, ive ben reading gains of up to 20bhp which i think is a bit optermistic... what gains am i likly to see?

also has anyone bought them off the site below? are they a good fit ect?

could we keep this thread on track please as i think quite a few people would be interested to know

thank you, jake

http://www.jperformance.co.uk/nissan-35 ... p-181.html

people do run them on here, and with a proper uprev tune up/ecu reflash you should see some gains on them. but on a standard car you'll only really notice more noise.

my personal choice would actually be hi flow cats, they don't need changing out every mot time, and sound better in my opinion. decats tend to sound very raspy at the top end of the rev range, which i personally think sounds very rice. where as a HFC will lower the tone slightly but still offer you the free flow you want, without the rasp. ;)

cheers guys, thats just what i wanted to hear, ive had sports cats before and they were junk, no differance and still didnt pass an mot... only differance is i now work at a garage lol...

just wondered where to buy them from as i want a really good fit with no messing about...

what do you reckon is the biggest choke point on the exhaust system, the manifolds or the cats, or both.

i'm planning long term to put some berk high flows on. but was tempted to do the manifolds at the same time.

Manifolds!!

I have a set of manifolds to go on now, which will finish my exhaust setup.

Manifolds -> Berk Sports CATS -> Buddy club Y-pipe -> Buddy club Prospec

Even without the manifolds i made good power gains 290.1bhp with the buddy club and sports Cats, no loss of torque for me either i dont think, made around 260lb/ft

thanks adrian,

currently have invidia G200 true dual exaust,

plan is to add in berk hi flows, and then new manifolds.

just not sure which, am tempted by the price of the japspeed ones, but i'd want to heat wrap them before fitting. or the DC sports manifolds.

what have you got going on to yours?

hi flow cats are more use if youve tuned your engine up, i dont really want to do anything map wise as in the past ive made costly mistakes, dont really want advice on "get its done properly" etc..

the main reason i like the decat route is because it will help the engine alone, ill also be doing the plenum spacer and thats it, nothing else... then see what it makes on the dyno...

Even without the manifolds i made good power gains 290.1bhp with the buddy club and sports Cats, no loss of torque for me either i dont think, made around 260lb/ft

Is that with any tuning or just rolling roaded with standard ecu?

RR with std ECU, berks, buddy club and a pop charger :thumbs:

My manis are UK made DC sports copies, i got them for a rediculously low price :thumbs:

As for the plenum spacer, i made more on the dyno than other cars with plenums etc.. by a fair way.

Its all in the buddy club methinks :yahoo:

Is that with any tuning or just rolling roaded with standard ecu?

RR with std ECU, berks, buddy club and a pop charger :thumbs:

My manis are UK made DC sports copies, i got them for a rediculously low price :thumbs:

As for the plenum spacer, i made more on the dyno than other cars with plenums etc.. by a fair way.

Its all in the buddy club methinks :yahoo:

Hi Adrian,

Where did you get the dc copies from? Also do you know what size the end collectors are on the manifold?

ive got APS decats on mine and love them!!!!! they sound great tho there is abit of rasp at the top end but i now get flames so i dont care :lol:

by the way, cheers Adrian ;)

no worries mate, glad you like them, they were a good piece of kit.

take it you dont get any CEL with the O2 spacers i left in the pipes?

Mine used to pop flames with those fitted aswell!

ive got APS decats on mine and love them!!!!! they sound great tho there is abit of rasp at the top end but i now get flames so i dont care :lol:

by the way, cheers Adrian ;)

no worries mate, glad you like them, they were a good piece of kit.

take it you dont get any CEL with the O2 spacers i left in the pipes?

Mine used to pop flames with those fitted aswell!

the spacers were a very nice suprise when i opened the box! ;) top man :thumbs: