Tyre size Traders Welcome

alessandro

I'm sure there is a topic somewhere that cover this but I can't find it.

At the end of the month I'll have to change my tyres, I don't use the car to commute every day but I'm in it every spare second :drive1 , grip it's more impotant than looks etc.. so I think I'll go for Falken 452, ( feel free to comment if there are better options ) which it looks like is the choice of many here.

I tried to look at different web sites but I'm not sure of the size that I'm looking for.

I have an 03 JDM with OEM nissan alloys running Bridgestone at the moment.

If there is any trader arond Beds / Bucks / Herts or Surrey I'll be able to pick them up

Thanks

Alex

look round the tyre wall it will say what size they are.

if they are standard 18's you'll be looking at 245/45/18 on the rear and 225/45/18 on the front.

my advice, go to camskills and order the vredestein ultrac sessantas, they are an excellent tyre, and rate them better than the falkens or toyos and they are around the same price or were, as camskills did have a special offer on with them.

the other 2 brands i mentioned are good, but i think the sessantas are better.

The advantage of the Vredesteins is that they are an all season tyre (the majority of the tyres in the UK market are classified as summer tyres - as a country, we are very ignorant to winter / all season tyres).

Rubber goes harder below 5 degrees and the all season / winter tyres resist this making them great in the majority of Britsh weather! The downside of this is the wear rate, especially when the temperatures start to rise.

My advice would be to go for the Falkens, I'll be purchasing a set of these for my Zed after I've finished the Bridgestones off on a track day at the end of the month. Falken are a Japanese brand owned by SRI who used to own Dunlop, so they know what they're doing. I hear very few poor reviews of these tyres.

the sessantas are summer tyres as well. i think your thinknig of some of the other vredestein tyres.

i choose them for there grip levels and wet grip.

falkens are good, but i've heard that near the limit they are less progressive.

and the toyos i don't like the soft walls, they changed the design a while back and they just aren't as good as they used to be. they are less progressive and on the last car had not very good tyre wobble. was like driving on jelly.

this place gives some of the most detailed reviews going.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/

and if you look at the magazine test reviews the sessantas are one of the tyres in the top 10. falkens and toyos don't even appear.

flakens and toyos are midrange tyres, the sessantas are ultra high performance.

I'm going to stick up for the Vreidesteins aswell, worth any extra cost.

Having had falken FK452 on my wheels since i got them, and now swapped to the Vreidesteins, the difference is like night and day, even in the dry. They have changed the car, and i cant recommend them enough.

You will confuse every garage that looks at them once fitted tho.

Ultra High Performance (UHP) is just the classification of the tyre, anything W, Y or Z rated is UHP, all tyres in the Zed's sizes are UHP. H & V rated are High Performance (HP) and S & T are standard.

you can get nankangs in that size, doesn't make them UHP

falkens and toyos are not as competent as tyres like the sessantas, MPS2's etc tyre reviews and and people who track cars have proved it.

rtbiscuit - I'm in the tyre trade, I was only saying that UHP is a classification of speed ratings, not brand or opinon, if a Nangkang / Wanli / Chengshin make a tyre that is Z (150 mp/h max), W (168 max) or Y (186 max) then it is classed as UHP.

This makes tyre choice for Joe Public less than straight forward.

Pearl - be careful with Camskills, they're known for importing non-EU tyres that aren't designed roads/climate. Check the tyres for an E-mark (letter E in a circle) on the sidewall of the tyre.

For independant reviews, companies like DEKRA or TUV SUD carry out impartial tests.

rtbiscuit - I'm in the tyre trade, I was only saying that UHP is a classification of speed ratings, not brand or opinon, if a Nangkang / Wanli / Chengshin make a tyre that is Z (150 mp/h max), W (168 max) or Y (186 max) then it is classed as UHP.

Pearl - be careful with Camskills, they're known for importing non-EU tyres that aren't designed roads/climate. Check the tyres for an E-mark (letter E in a circle) on the sidewall of the tyre.

For independant reviews, companies like DEKRA or TUV SUD carry out impartial tests.

cheers for the info, i got my sessata's from camskills, will go and check them later for that.

sorry if i seem pushy with the point, i always grouped things on price and performance and had assumed that was UHP, serves me right for making an assumption :blush:

Who do you work for?

rtbiscuit - that's fine mate, I'm useless with most things automotive, but I can talk rubber. I've tried that line several times on the laydeees and it never works :wacko:

kings - I work for a leading tyre manufactuer

you going to say which one? :lol:

or at least give us a clue