Help!!! - Terrible noise!!!

craigy hardcore

Hi guys,

I'm unsure if this is in the correct section as I think its more of a Drivetrain issue. Please feel free to move to the correct section....

OK heres the script, I have a few noises from my 04 UK Spec Z.

The first one I think is my front driver side brake. Its making a clicky sound, I'm unsure if my brakes are needing replaced, however I have ordered new pads and they should be here any day now. I will update once they're fitted, in the meantime if anyone thinks they might know for sure what this is, your help/guidance would be much appreciated.

The second noise is really scaring me. OK read this carefully as I'm going to do my best to explain whats happening....

While driving at around 30-40mph in 5th gear (or at a low speed in a high gear) this god awful noise appears to be coming from under my gear stick. I can feel the vibration through the gear stick while driving. This happens continuously and gets worse as I accelerate, but as the car picks up speed it gradually stops. Difficult to explain but feels as if one moving part is trying to catch up with another moving part... That seem clear???.....

Now the noise itself is like a grinding/scraping noise which is embarrisingly loud. I've resorted to driving around town in 3rd/4th gear just so it doesn't happen.

While the car is static with the engine turned on and out of gear there is what appears to be the same noise. obviously sounding a bit different as the car isn't driving. But it does seem to be coming from the same area.

I've had a read through some of the common faults and nothing really seems to be similar to mine.

I'm no mechanic and I certainly don't have the skills to correctly diagnose this problem, but I think my driveshaft may need some attention. I have had a look under the car and nothing seems to be loose or hanging down or anything.

If you can help please do. My 350z is my daily driver and I do a 60 mile a day commute. This noise has been happening for the past month or so now.

Thanks in Advance.

Craig

the first noise might be the common clicky axle noise. its caused by a dry cv joint.

the second noise sound like a noise i used to have in my van, it could be a clutch problem. the clutch plate had broken loose and was spoinning freely when not under pressure. it made a lound rattly noise and could be felt alot throught the gearstick. not a major problem regarding the car but it was just annoying and needed to be changed.

As gunmetalzgt indicates, are you sure the 'clicking noise' is coming from the front and not the rear -as there is a regular problem of 'clicking rear axles' - do a search on here. If it is that, it is not a major issue - more of an irritation but ZMANALEX will sort you out with parts if that is the problem.

Otherwise, I presume its not somthing simple like a stone or nail in the tyre, or possibly a stone (or something) caught between the backplate and shield?

As for your gearbox noise that sounds like it might be a clutch release bearing issue - again a known problem. Although they are known to rumble on tickover and low speeds (that's not a problem in itself), but the fact you have a loud noise at speed as well as when stationary does suggest its the release bearing breaking up, and/or possibly the clutch/flywheel is damaged. Is the clutch slipping - test in high gear and accelerate hard to see if the revs rise under load but the car does not respond equally.

As Colin has said I can fix you up with the drive shaft kits for the clicky noise if you require them :thumbs:

The noise that you are describing from the drive train could be nothing more than you just labouring the car and as you have confirmed, dropping a gear gets rid of the noise.

Worst case scenario could be a new clutch kit and possible flywheel.

The springs could be rattling about in the centre plate or the dual mass flywheel may be falling apart.

Either way I have all the parts available should you require them.

Axle Kits, Exedy Clutch Kits, OEM Dual Mass Flywheels, or Fidanza Lightened Aluminum Flywheels.

Hopefully you wont require any of the parts and a slight adaption to your driving methods may cure the issues. :thumbs:

Alex.

Thanks for the responses guys...

I see what your saying about my driving, but would it really be this severe?

I mean "normal" driving habits would see me doing 30mph in 4th or 5th gear with no problems, but again I'm still a Zed newbie, however I'm not convinced that a car should be making a noise like this driving the way I am...

Could possibly be the clutch and flywheel or maybe the clutch release bearing, I've read a few posts on here about this issue and I think this is similar to my problem... Do these cost much to replace?

The clicking is definetly coming from the front, no doubt about it, I'll change the brakes first and take it from there...

Thanks again!

Thanks for the responses guys...

I see what your saying about my driving, but would it really be this severe?

I mean "normal" driving habits would see me doing 30mph in 4th or 5th gear with no problems, but again I'm still a Zed newbie, however I'm not convinced that a car should be making a noise like this driving the way I am...

Could possibly be the clutch and flywheel or maybe the clutch release bearing, I've read a few posts on here about this issue and I think this is similar to my problem... Do these cost much to replace?

The clicking is definetly coming from the front, no doubt about it, I'll change the brakes first and take it from there...

Thanks again!

Exedy Clutck Kit (Cover,Plate and Bearing) £295.00

Fidanza Single Mass Lightenened Aluminium Flywheel £295.00

0r OEM LUC Duall Mass Flywheel £295.00

Hope this helps.

Alex.