Just Test Drove a 997 C2S.....sorry but not impressed

Kev946

Well all I can say is it did feel like it was worth £70k. This is the first time I've ever driven or been in a Porker. Yes I only tested it on the road and not the track but it just didn't feel special and certainly not that quick. Yes quicker than a Zed but so smooth and competent it just didn't inspire me.....yes dull is the word I'm looking for. :(

I also did not like the arrogant attitude of the sales staff. He keep me waiting for over 30mins, then when I said I was going miraculously another salesman came available. Before I even asked he said "you won't get any discounts you know" and then said "the waiting time is 6 months and if you are not prepared to wait and pay full price someone else will". What a ass hole. :angry:

Things I liked about the 997: -

Build quality, ride although a bit soft unless you switch on sports mode. The way it takes off. Rear traction is great, but them again it would be with the engine hanging out behind the back wheels. Back seat which will just about take a small adult behind the passenger seat. Oh and of course the residuals.

Things I don't like apart from the fact they are everywhere: -

Sound of the engine, not as exoctic as I would expect from a car costing £70k. Gear change, very rubbery and felt like it wasn't connected to anything. Seating position, the base doesn't tilt on the standard seats which meant no support for my long legs which would leave me with cramp. The cost...wow...everthing is an extra, e.g. you have to pay extra for chrome trims on the exhaust tail pipes. Oh and did I mention then arrogant salesman.

So in summary I wouldn't swap my Zed for 997. Maybe a GT3 is a possibility, but not a 997 or even 996 C2S. Overpriced and just not worth £70K in my oppinion.

There are other cars I would swap the Zed for but my mind isn't made up yet on that front.

Interesting post Kev. :thumbs:

Always good to get a warts and all assessment from someone with no axe to grind.

I've never driven one (although was fairly unmoved after 3 days in my mum's Boxster) and despite it being far better looking than the 996 I just can't get excited about them. I figure we've seen it all before..... :dry:

I am a little biased I guess by owning a Zed. I've always thought the 911 had the engine in the wrong place and was a bit of a dinosaur. But for £70k I want more than competence. For me it's not just about being the quickest. I want to enjoy my driving so the car has to feel special, and that's where the 911 for me fails.

I think you do youself a diservice suggesting you're biased, Kev. I would say that coming from a generally acclaimed sports car to drive another puts you in perfect position to judge the Porker. It's not like you work for Nissan! :)

I think you do youself a diservice suggesting you're biased, Kev. I would say that coming from a generally acclaimed sports car to drive another puts you in perfect position to judge the Porker. It's not like you work for Nissan! :)

To be honest I was expecting to like it a lot more, but even though the residuals are good, I'd rather loose money on something more exoctic at that price.

Intersting post - particularly the 'everything is an extra' bit. We drove the RX8 and the baby Merc when we were considering the Z. Never even got to the boxster for exactly that reason - even in standard form it's expensive - to get it to anything close to decent spec you needed a second morgage! The merc was much the same (and also uninspiring!).

I've never been a great fan of porsches, but I've never driven one, so it's nice to hear that there are other people in the world who feel the same way!

Incidently, we went to test drive a Z in COventry - the salesman was such a prick that we walked out. Fortunatley we didn't give up and drove 20 miles in the opposite direction to another dealer who couldn't do enough for us. Give us the keys, pointed at the car and said 'have fun!' Think of what we have missed if we just walked away...

I've personally never like Porkers but thought I'd look at a second hand one when I was thinking about buying the Nissan. Looked at a second hand Boxter or Boxter S. I've never like the sound of a Porsche engine. It just sounds tinny and cheap. There's no nice deap grumble at low revs like you've got in the Z and the noise only get worst as the revs get higher with that high rasping noise, sounds like an out of control 2 stroke engine to me.

Didn't like the drive either, compaired to the Z. It just seems plain and normal, nothing exciting at all and nothing that made you wanted to push the car. The Z on the other hand is completely different. The drive is involving and the engine and setup of the car just makes you want to drive it quickly (within the speed limits of course). Sometimes it's a little bit of a handful but being 1 1/2 tones its going to be from time to time, but that's all part of the fun of the Z.

Can't wait for mine to arrive, might even make me get out of bed on time in the morning. Just over a week to go!

Kev , these Porsche dealers dont deserve to sell anything with that attitude..I dont think I would have been able to keep my hands of him if someone had said that to me, when your looking to buy a £70K vehicle.. :rant::headhurt:

Same thing happened to me with a 30k car..... The zed :angry:

Kev , these Porsche dealers dont deserve to sell anything with that attitude..I dont think I would have been able to keep my hands of him if someone had said that to me, when your looking to buy a £70K vehicle.. :rant::headhurt:

I take it you didnt buy from them?... I hope :)

Wasn't gonna buy from them anyway,,, just couldn't resist a test drive :teeth:

Wasn't gonna buy from them anyway,,, just couldn't resist a test drive :teeth:

:thumbs:

I was treated OK at the Nissan garage until I had ordered, then things really changed.

I had a very plesent experience at Graypaul Maserati / Ferrari last week mind you.

YOU GOT MONEY BURNING A HOLE IN YOU POCKET???

I wish.....Maserati's are better value than 911's

Intersting post - particularly the 'everything is an extra' bit. We drove the RX8 and the baby Merc when we were considering the Z. Never even got to the boxster for exactly that reason - even in standard form it's expensive - to get it to anything close to decent spec you needed a second morgage! The merc was much the same (and also uninspiring!).

I've never been a great fan of porsches, but I've never driven one, so it's nice to hear that there are other people in the world who feel the same way!

Incidently, we went to test drive a Z in COventry - the salesman was such a prick that we walked out. Fortunatley we didn't give up and drove 20 miles in the opposite direction to another dealer who couldn't do enough for us. Give us the keys, pointed at the car and said 'have fun!' Think of what we have missed if we just walked away...

Last week I had a few hours to spare so I pulled into the Porsche Dealership on the A45 in Coventry. I'd just waxed the zed so it was looking :teeth: I had contact with them about test driving a 3.2S Boxster before buying my previous zed.

Got out of my car and wondered about. Wondered about for a bit longer. A bit longer. Actually wondered inside, straight past all the sales guys in their office doing **** all :scare: I assumed as I was in a decent car and wearing a suit they would be all over me wanting to offer me this and that :surrender:

WAS THEY HELL!!! I hung around for a while gasping at some of the prices and left without anybody even glancing in my direction! Why do Porsche dealership sales people feel that they don't have to do anything to sell their cars :rant: Their cars cost more than some houses but they are so arrogant its unreal :angry: If you go to a cattlemarket like bristol street motors etc and they fight each other to get you a cup of tea :dry:

My Nissan salesman was very stand-offish through the sales process. Didn't warm to him at all and had to remind him that we were existing customers (Kat's Micra) when he wouldn't throw in mats etc. Car sold it though.

Had it serviced yesterday and heard the girl on the desk ask another couple when they wanted to collect their car, the woman politely said as soon as possible and the terse reponse was "as you've got a courtesy car you're no sort of priority, you know". :wacko:

Love cars, hate dealers. :dry:

Firstly, I've never been a big fan of Porkers, personnally I can't understand what everyone bangs on about. Ok, they are rock solid and you can use them every day, but you can use a lot of other cars every day too, plus I think they look OK - but if I'm spending that sort of money on a car I don't want it to just look OK.

I've driven both the 997 Carrera and the 911 Turbo on a track and the 997 just didn't do anything for me at all. The Turbo was a different beast entirely but, I still wouldn't buy one. Very strange feel to them too, almost felt too light in the steering. For me, if I was to spend that sort of money I'd rather have a Ferrari with a few miles on.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...