Second hand exhaust

cookiemonster

Just a quick question, after looking at the forums about exhausts it seems that they last the life of the car? But some people are saying they have had rot trouble. i know the UK winters can be pretty harsh but surely an expensive exhaust £1000+ would still be o.k?

Reason being as im looking at getting a second hand exhaust and im wondering if it will still be o.k. Its only done 20k in 2 years.

Any help as always would be much appreciated! :thumbs:

i have a 2nd hand exhaust fitted, and the weak areas on it were the flexi joints, more precisily the welds, as they are often mig welded, not tig welded, or the flexi joint is mild steel not stainless.

i had to replace 1 flexi joint wneh i fitted it, but the rest of the exhaust was fine.

would that be the same for a 5zigen a spec? Thanks for the quick reply. :thumbs:

in an answer, don't know.

mine is the invidia G200 true dual. its about £800-£1000 depending on shipping and the supplier and the echange rate. and one of its flexi joints had rotted out.

just delivered a second hand DC sports exhaust true dual, and it also showed corrosion on the flexi,

nismo exhaust is renowned for the flexis splitting.

so my guess is most companies seem to use mild steel flexi's, and it seems to be the weak spot. its also cheal and easy to fix.

It will last a whole lot longer if, and only if..you look after it ie clean it after its been raining, snow/ salt exposure etc ;)

very true.

but the weak point is not the flexi joint its self, its the collars either side that hold the steel weave in place. on all the exhausts i've seen the welds have been fine, but the actual collar had disintergrated and rotted out.

i fixed one side of mine with a new flexi joint and sourced a special stainless flexi joint which should fix the problem

They probably will, Flexis are the weak point in any exhaust. My old Nismo went at the flexis.

My buddy club will last forever tho :thumbs: and thats one of the reasons i went for it.

It doesnt have any flexis in the y-pipe so nothing to rot. Top quality welds to, i am very confident it will still be all shiny in 5 years time :D

Photo0257.jpg

Indeed, i have manifolds to go on aswell, and i may fit solid mounts.

But on our cars the engines merely 'rock' not pull/push the exhaust, so flexis arent really neeeded if the exhaust is well built :thumbs:

must admit i'm not a fan of flexi's they are always the dodgy part of any exhaust.

I had a Jackson Racing manifold on my CTR, and poly engine mounts with torque damper!! In hindsight, the damper was overkill, the mounts did the job fine..no more movement of engine.

As you know jerry i had the ESMM's and a torque damper aswell :thumbs:

But the 350z engine is mounted differently, and tbh it wont make as dramatic a difference or be as much of a benefit on our cars.

What is the importance of the weave ? I've just purchased an exhaust from a member on the forum, and it's arrived with half the weave missing on one flexi joint and corroded amd missing parts of the collar that holds the weave in place.

I'm told the exhaust doesn't leak, so I'm assuming the butt welds of the exhaust are all ok (and this looks the case when you look inside).

But is the weave important ?

What is the importance of the weave ? I've just purchased an exhaust from a member on the forum, and it's arrived with half the weave missing on one flexi joint and corroded amd missing parts of the collar that holds the weave in place.

I'm told the exhaust doesn't leak, so I'm assuming the butt welds of the exhaust are all ok (and this looks the case when you look inside).

But is the weave important ?

my guess is it holds the ends of the flexi joints on as the internal is like a spring inside to allow for the flex, i think it also acts as a barrier to the external elements.

someone else might have a more definitive answer.