induction kits

sparky370z

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey mate, the pop chargers will suffer from some heat soak when stationary but when your driving the air flow increases so its not much of a problem. The JWT does have a heat shield as does the HKS so that will help.

At the end of the day most peiople have them on for the noise and not so much about the performance as the OEM box is already awesome. :thumbs:

The air travels through a gap in the front of the bumper directly infront of the pop charger, well it does on mine anyhow not sure if there are differences between what year your car is and if its an import. Sure someone more knowledgable than me could tell you. :lol:

:thumbs:

At least you guys have a decent front air feed. However I'd say get a sheet of mild stainless steel from B&Q and make your self a nice sectioned off area around the induction.

Looking at the engine bay pics, the 350Z does have enough space so shouldnt be too hard to do. You'll find a smoother ideling even at stand still if you can keep the heat out and even some more bhp gains.

K&N typhoon system comes with an enclosed air box, and a carbon lid, with an air feed that goes down to the bottom of the front grille.

Yep..I have a Popcharger with New Spare filter element to save messing about cleaning, waiting for it to dry!!

Even thought it takes less than an hour so can have it our, cleaned and reoiled by the time you have washed the car :p:lol:

Pop charger is the best bang for buck. They do suffer from heat soak even with the heatshield. I think the shield could be improved and also there is room for some better airflow without cutting the bumper which I am investigating :ninja:

just altered my last post as i accidently wrote inside the original quote, pointed out the typhoon.

Personally, I think a closed airbox ie stock or the B)STILLEN box is the way forward, however I am very interested in a new Maxogen Kit for the 350Z by ITG..

and as far as i'm aware the stillen doesn't have a cold air feed from low down, it feeds from the original airbox air feed.

the typhoon is the only kit for the zed that i know of that uses a low down scoop in the grille, the make use of the coldest air, which i slow down.

Personally, I think a closed airbox ie stock or the B)STILLEN box is the way forward, however I am very interested in a new Maxogen Kit for the 350Z by ITG..

I think for stage 1 this is true. A Good panel filter will most likely give you more gains in power then an induction kit but if you are looking for big power, a proper induction isolated from heat with a proper air feed is the way forwared.

And as for having a low down scoop, I'm always against it because you only need to go through a pool of water for it to all go wrong.

I think for stage 1 this is true. A Good panel filter will most likely give you more gains in power then an induction kit but if you are looking for big power, a proper induction isolated from heat with a proper air feed is the way forwared.

And as for having a low down scoop, I'm always against it because you only need to go through a pool of water for it to all go wrong.

thats only true if the filter is mounted low, i'd be impressed to see water go up the intake on the typhoon,

and even then the boxes the cones sit in isnt 100% sealed so it would just suck air thorugh the gaps before it sucked water .

I would guess thats why the holes are there, to let water out and air in, in the event that you do sit in a puddle ;)

my previous focus St had a snorkel duct setup as oem but that had the snorkel placed up high near where the Z has the air box any hows. changed to a k n n typhoon and good good gain (14bhp on the a dyno) but that didnt have the heat soak issue i can see the Z getting . still quite shocked how hot the intake pipe gets , cant be good for air temps .

Yep, the intake pipe on the Zed gets well hot, it could do with some heat wrap TBH!

Give it a go and let us know how you get on :thumbs:

I am looking for some wrap as I write this, although it wont look nice in the bay, but i`tll do the job as it refects 98% of radiated heat ie from the engine bay up to 280degrees!! ;)

i don't think heat soak on the pipe will make much difference. the pipe is thick to start with, and although the exterior surface gets hot, i doubt it rreally affects the air flow.

once air is moving its going to cool the internal of the pipe anyway. so asl long as your moving it wont be an issue.

if the heat wrap does make a difference we're probalbly talking the difference of 1 to 2 bhp, on a mod that until tuned will make no difference.

and even then we're talking about the slim difference of sod all

I think that good old Baking foil would do a fair job of reflecting some engine heat, if it was secured properly, I may experiment!

You do that. I'm working on some extra ducting for the OEM bumper so we can meet in the middle and sell the solution :teeth::lol:

for me the only thing worth wrapping would be manifolds, and only if they were aftermarket as the heat they give off is huge.

and proper exhaust heat wrap would be better for keeping the heat in. not reflecting the heat away.

turn the heat wrap inside out then :lol::lol:

for me the only thing worth wrapping would be manifolds, and only if they were aftermarket as the heat they give off is huge.

and proper exhaust heat wrap would be better for keeping the heat in. not reflecting the heat away.

Although its a lot easier to wrap the intake than the manifolds ;) But if you are doing it right, then yes manifolds being wrapped or treated would be the best way to keep the heat out :thumbs:

Thermo wrapping isn't just about reflecting the radiated heat, its also about insulating the pipe from the temperatures around it ;)

http://www.agriemach.com/default.php?cPath=0_101_107

Provides both reflective AND conductive protection :)

While vented bonnets are great for keeping underbonnet temps down, they're also great at getting all your electrical connections soaking wet :lol:;)

Cheers,

Andy