Tyre / Wheel Dilema

Reekie

Hi Guys,

Bit of a dilema....

I had the Z in the garage yesterday to have a spoiler fitted, picked it up, looks great, and then came the bombshell dropped by the technician....

My front tyres are almost showing canvas on the inside!!! Gutted.

They look fine on the outside, I just obviously didn't check them well enough on full-lock. The backs aren't far behind either.

So, I've got to dip in to the savings to replace the tyres on all four corners.

Now, my dilema....

4 new tyres all likely to be pretty pricey, plus they need balancing/tracking by the sounds of it as well. So, £650ish?? That a good guesstimate?

I've got a JDM import with 17inch wheels (sorry, not got the tyre sizes to hand, I'll add them later), do I get some quality tyres for these alloys? Falken FK452's, Bridgstone Potenza etc....

Or, do I treat myself to some nice new 19 inch wheels with tyres??

Are the prices likely to differ that much?? £650 for new alloys??

I'm obviously going to do some research but you're input helps!!

Help, suggestions, thoughts all appretiated.

Thanks!!

If you are going for tyres, try camskill as they are pretty decently priced. I personally would go for an upgrade to some bigger alloys including tyres, although if you are wanting Falken 452s then you will probably be looking at more than £650. You should pick up all 4 corners for less then £650 from camskill on 17" though.

I was looking at the difference between tyres for 20" compared to the 18" I have and the difference was only about £30 on the rear and similar on the front from camskill.

You could always look to see if anyone is selling some Rays/18" standard nissan with tyres for a good price. Seen some knocking about on here recently.

Just don't go for the Bridgestones!!!!!!!

Hope this helps. :)

just had 4 vredestein ultrac sessantas delivered from camskills for about £480, as they have a special offer on at the moment for them. thats on 18's.

if you go to rarerims, they sell good wheels, but your looking at a rough price of about £1400 for a wheel and tyre package, and thats with falkens, and they are a relativley low cost tyre, but pretty good quality for everyday driving. i thought about the same thing, but have decided to go for new tyres and a wheel refurb.

you could possibly get a set of rays with tyres off here for around £400 which would last you for 6-12 months depending on mileage, and then upgrade the tyres. don't know if you'll get much on ebay, but you could sell the old alloys.

Dilemma over I think.

A set of alloys + tyres are a little more than my budget stretches.

I'm looking at either a set of Toyo T-1R's or Goodyear F1's, both about £500 including fitting.

Any preference? I've been told the Toyos are a similar compound to the standard Bridgestone Potenzas and that they dont last as long as the Goodyear??

if thats your choice, i would probably say that the eagle F1's are better.

i found the tyre wall on them a bit soft, and the compound shredded easier, i.e. picking up puntures etc. but the grip on them is way better than the toyos. theose were the old gsd2's, have heard the updated gsd3 aren't as good. but their asymetrics get a good write up

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goody ... metric.htm

not as sexy a tyre but meant to perform very well

if thats your choice, i would probably say that the eagle F1's are better.

i found the tyre wall on them a bit soft, and the compound shredded easier, i.e. picking up puntures etc. but the grip on them is way better than the toyos. theose were the old gsd2's, have heard the updated gsd3 aren't as good. but their asymetrics get a good write up

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goody ... metric.htm

not as sexy a tyre but meant to perform very well

Biscuit you might be referring to the old compound GS-D3 F1 in terms of the "bit soft" sidewall, not the new superseded Asymmetric F1. The Asymmetric if you have a play with the tyre has a much firmer sidewall than the original GS-D3. :)