Intake Advice please

smudga

VQ35HR engine so need two intakes any advice as to the best to get as I'm a bit lost !

Looked at the Stillen long tube direct from them is about £315, but if I get stung for VAT its nearly as cheap to get it over here... then looked at the AEM & Wolf popcharger seem cheaper to buy any preference peeps. The only advantage I can see with the Stillen versions is that the filters are completely enclosed whereas the others seem to be exposed would they be liable to some heat soak from the engine?..... or should I just go for the Cosworth high performance panel filters in the existing boxes?

I'm confused :doh:

K&N also do a duel intake for the Zed. Not sure if they do the full typhoon in the duel though which is good against heat soak due to the full surround heat shield. Everyone always raves about the standard airbox though and how its the best for performance, just don't get the sound you do with the after market ones.

K&N also do a duel intake for the Zed. Not sure if they do the full typhoon in the duel though which is good against heat soak due to the full surround heat shield. Everyone always raves about the standard airbox though and how its the best for performance, just don't get the sound you do with the after market ones.

So if I stick the high flow panel filters in will this give the extra gains that the other intakes do, just without the noise?

its hard to gauge as you never really know what gains you are getting from an aftermarket one unless you dyno before and after but I don't think many people will have done that. Alot of people rate the standard air box though and putting in a performance filter will help.

I dyno'd my standard roadster with just the K&N typhoon on and it came out at 270bhp at the fly, although I had just got it and it only had 95 RON fuel in. Hoping that now I have been running it on 99 RON since I bought it I would get better figures. I am having it dyno'd this weekend hopefully but I also have a plenum spacer and exhuast on now so wouldn't be accurate results against the first run.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:

I think you may find that the 08 cars have the very uprated air intakes with the velocity stacks built in.

The panel filters actually perfom better on the HR than any of the cone type CAI's

If I were to go any I would be looking at the Pop Chargers with the velocity stacks built in. I did have a typhoon but the filter isnt great (even though the rest of the kit is very nice) and this is dyno proven that the pop is a better filter design.... The PC does come with a type of heat sheild though...

Stillens look quite nice with the enclosed box but cant rememember of they have VS.

Mark

I think you may find that the 08 cars have the very uprated air intakes with the velocity stacks built in.

The panel filters actually perfom better on the HR than any of the cone type CAI's

If I were to go any I would be looking at the Pop Chargers with the velocity stacks built in. I did have a typhoon but the filter isnt great (even though the rest of the kit is very nice) and this is dyno proven that the pop is a better filter design.... The PC does come with a type of heat sheild though...

Stillens look quite nice with the enclosed box but cant rememember of they have VS.

Mark

Now then, this is getting confusing... am I right that some cold air intakes have velocity stacks and some dont.. might seem a daft question but which bit is the velocity stack of the intake? and the standard boxes have them yes?

Maybe I just go for the panel filter & take Marks advice & try the Dyno route.. would be interesting to see any difference.. the car has the Nismo cat back exhaust so would be good to see what the power is in any case.

Just from what people have told me, the change of intake wont make any difference unless you plan on having your ECU remapped (Uprev i believe) as the ECU is adaptive it will simply alter the air intake to bring your bhp to its original setting.

The only thing you will achieve, especially with a pop charger, is some increase in noise. If you want the added bhp, best to do the other mods aswell like plenum spacer, exhaust, and pop charger then get the ECU remapped. :thumbs:

Mark

Now then, this is getting confusing... am I right that some cold air intakes have velocity stacks and some dont.. might seem a daft question but which bit is the velocity stack of the intake? and the standard boxes have them yes?

Maybe I just go for the panel filter & take Marks advice & try the Dyno route.. would be interesting to see any difference.. the car has the Nismo cat back exhaust so would be good to see what the power is in any case.

Welcome to the world of Zed !!1 :wacko: The early mk1 350zs with one ontake didnt have VS in the airbox, the 06 facelift did as do the 08's, I think the VS sits after the filter on the ztube.

Stillens filter has a VS after the filter (the silver ring)

402835.jpg

Pop charger has a dual effect with the open front end of the filter and the silver ring

POPCHARGERGENERICSMALL.jpg

Just trying to find the differences between the OEM boxs so you can see how they differ.

Quote from my350z which says it all!

"I don't think anybody has decided the ultimate intake.

06 has a JWT-like velocity stack and ensures cold air

JWT has a bigger filter but may get heat soaked

If you like more sound, go JWT.

If you are looking for a negligible power gain over stock with no extra noise... go 06 airbox.

If both cars were to line up at a drag strip, neither one really has an advantage. "

More info here! http://my350z.com/forum/intake-exhaust/ ... x-pix.html

Just from what people have told me, the change of intake wont make any difference unless you plan on having your ECU remapped (Uprev i believe) as the ECU is adaptive it will simply alter the air intake to bring your bhp to its original setting.

The only thing you will achieve, especially with a pop charger, is some increase in noise. If you want the added bhp, best to do the other mods aswell like plenum spacer, exhaust, and pop charger then get the ECU remapped. :thumbs:

Just to clarify, BHP or torque cant be bought to original settings as there is no such thing, all the cars have different ammounts of BHP/torque, put 2 cars on the dyno with standard setups and they will both come out with different numbers! The ECU settings depend on a number of limiting factors...

Pleunum adds mid-range torque. Remaps, ECU swaps and Piggybacks can all help to get the numbers up as will other modifications, like exhaust manifolds, CAI's, even exhaust systems, plenums and spacers etc etc etc etc !!

I have fitted the NISMO kit to an 08 car and it fitted very well. NISMO stuff also tends to give some gains if anything will. :)

And you still got the scars to prove it ;) !!! Does look good that one. Just a shame its not a long tube on the 08

Certainly have mate! :lol: Agreed, it does look good too B)

• 5 months later...
Did any one actually run a back-to-back (OEM Paper filter -v- K&N Panel) dyno test on this?

Really interested to know what BHP increases a K&N Panel Filter delivers over the Nissan paper filter on a standard 276 car.

Very little as there is no velocity stack in the stock airbox (2002 to 2006) couple at the most!