RSR Exhaust Tips - How to Polish/Paint

Rubber

Hi all,

Just got my hands on a 2nd hand RSR exhaust system to replace my rusty OEM :teeth: However, the tips of the exhaust are slightly different colours. I have had a go with T-Cut which brought the exhaust boxes back to a nice shiny finish but this has done nothing for the exhaust tip. I believe the passenger side exhaust tip has had the silver finish burnt off due to high running temperatures. I think it is a coating that has been burnt off rather than a case of polishing the exhaust back to a shiny finish.

I've called a few metal fabricators and painters etc around Aberdeen and it seems like no one can help me. Doesn't seem to be anyone who does any form of plating up this way either.

A search on the net reveals that there is a brand of spray paint - VHT (Very High Temperature) paint that may be able to help. Failing that I do have one more company to call - Custon Chrome Racing - after the bank holiday to see if they have any advice.

I am open to any other suggestions but I want to keep the cost reasonable!

As the others have said, if its just SS then autosol/Megs NXT polish will bring it up lovely with a bit of elbow grease. I would wait for someone to confirm its just SS though. I seem to remember a thread a while back about someone starting to polish their tips (actually might have been talking to the member at a meet) and it started to "go off". We decided that it had been plated with some finish and the polish was taking it off. Can anyone confirm the RSR is just SS?

EDIT: Just had a quick google and it seems its a mix of plain SS back boxes and ceramic coated SS pipes. Perhaps the tips are this ceramic coated SS? Would explain why autosol wouldnt fix it. Would need someone with more knowledge to confirm and advise on a fix :)

Ok I went at it for about 1.5 hours! All of those who suggested more elbow grease was required were correct. Cheap option for me so a good result!

I used the wire wool with the T-Cut which was quite abrasive and took a fine layer of metal off. I then polished it with a soft polishing cloth and T-Cut. Finally I used Meguiars body polish with a soft cloth to try and get a shinier finish.

Its much better than it was but I can't get a mirror finish like the box or the other exhaust tip. I think it may need some kind of mechanical polishing to give it a mirror finish. I'm happy enough with it now but if anyone has suggestions how to get it 100% then I would be glad of any advice.

Cheers,

Chris

body polish wont touch it mate, i usually clean exhausts with mr muscle oven cleaner to remove all the hard baked on crap then some scotch brite fine pads then finally go at it with autosol and a soft cloth, wont take long at all and autosol or alubelgum are purpose designed metal polishes

worth bearing in mind though, the harder you polish the better the finish as you are applying an abrasive to the metal