Jacking the rear of the Z with the diff, or.. ?

Spen

Hi, I want to get at the silencer on my z.

I've had a good search on the forum and I see the jacking point for a trolley jack on the rear is under the diff. I see people mention our "UK" cars have a plastic cover which I've noticed on mine but no one has actually said how they got around it in the end?

Can the cover be easily removed by first jacking the car up on one side with the scissor jack? Or is i possible with the rubber pad on the jack to still jack it with the plastic cover in place and not damage it??? ( I wouldn't have thought so)

If the diff is then a no no. Is it ok to jack it from the sills but then put the axle stands under the cup type things that sit under each spring (one post I read said something about doing this but it looks a little iffy to me !?

As my drive is sloped I'm forced to work on the car on the road so being able to put a trolley jack under from the rear in the middle would have been ideal.

I hope someone could shed some light :D

Thankyou in advance!

Spencer

I always jack mine off the diff at the back straight onto the plastic cover. It isn't a brittle plastic so will move when the jack goes on it. I have never had any problems with this and have had the car up and down many times!! That being said, others may have a different technique and this is just how I do it so I accept no responsibility if it all goes wrong! I am sure others will be along in due course to offer some more advice :thumbs:

Thanks for that guys.

Just had another look and I noticed a lug on the bottom of the diff. Any ideas if thats the proper jack point. It isn't central though but I've got no idea what else it could be????

The said lug doesn't appear to be on US spec cars that don't have the plastic cover.

diffvyv.jpg

Then jack it up on the lower spring cradle if you are not comfortable around the diff housing. :thumbs:

For a complete idiot like myself, is that the big flat bit that the rear springs sit in? Can you jack it on any part of that? Theres no weak bits to avoid.

I was wondering if you could jack it on that bit of the diff sticking out too, I've always done it off the sills :blush:

Then jack it up on the lower spring cradle if you are not comfortable around the diff housing. :thumbs:

For a complete idiot like myself, is that the big flat bit that the rear springs sit in? Can you jack it on any part of that? Theres no weak bits to avoid.

I was wondering if you could jack it on that bit of the diff sticking out too, I've always done it off the sills :blush:

Some of us cant get under the sills ;)