Bonnet Damper with custom brackets

BulletMagnet

Got some INXX bonnet dampers and looks like they came from ESR originally.

Fitted them without any hassle, but wasn't happy how the brackets fitted.

DSC01613.jpg

DSC01614.jpg

So I went to a local ironworkers and had them make up some new brackets.

DSC01618.jpg

Made from stainless steel, they are slightly thicker than the ESR brackets and had them made longer so both bonnet bolts can be used to prevent the bracket from twisting under pressure.

Also had the balljoint bolt hole raised to clear the bonnet hinge better.

DSC01615.jpg

DSC01617.jpg

I was worried that raising the balljointbolt hole would change the geometrics too much, but I worried for nothing, fits perfect

DSC01620.jpg

DSC01621.jpg

All within 2 days from taking measurements and getting the call to pick them up for the nice price of £10, I'm happy with the result.

The dampers are not lightweight specific.

They are the INXX ones ESR used to sell, I bought them BNIB of another owner that bought them off ESR, but never got round to fitting them.

With the old brackets, there was slight movement of the brackets because the single bolt would act as a pivot point, thus me wanting some new and improved ones.

When closing, there is no more movement in the brackets, at no time is there any flex in the bonnet whilst closing.

I only remember slight dimensions from the sketch the ironworker took, but recall that the two holes were 15mm from the edge and 60mm apart from each other.

Holes are M6 sized.

I'll get the measuring tape out later and take some more dimensions.

Yeh I have the same issue with my brackets, I had to make up a bit to go on the lower bolt to stop the top one moving... a tad ghetto so was going to get some made up like yours so measurements would make life easy!

If there not the lightweight ones isnt your bonnet hard to shut? And does it flex when your closing?

Yeh I have the same issue with my brackets, I had to make up a bit to go on the lower bolt to stop the top one moving... a tad ghetto so was going to get some made up like yours so measurements would make life easy!

If there not the lightweight ones isnt your bonnet hard to shut? And does it flex when your closing?

Not hard to shut at all and no flex either.

I think it's either down to Varis making a quality bonnet and/or that the dampers I bought, although they were BNIB, they weren't fitted for a year after purchase, so might had lost some pressure. But I did attempt to compress them by hand but couldn't, only by pointing one end to the floor and then putting some bodyweight behind it, did they compress.

• 1 month later...