Phil's world tour...recommendations?

PhilTheForce

So the Zed is sold. :byebye:

but as some of you know... I'm off around the world :yahoo: . The date keeps getting put back but here's the semi-booked trip:

I start off flying through Dubai into China, then travel a few hours to the mountains where myself and a couple of other brave (stupid) westerners will be spending a month with the Orange robed types training in Shaolin and other Kung-Fu styles. :boxing:

When I've finished I have about a week free in China. I was thinking of Hong Kong (but I'd love to see X'ian etc)

From HK (or wherever) it's onto Hanoi - Vietnam. I'll be taking a junk boat around Halong bay etc then heading down the coast to see Hue and onto Ho Chi Minh (Saigon).

From Vietnam I'm heading up the Mekong river, floating Markets etc and onto Cambodia to get my Indiana Jones on at Angkor (Which looks incredible - anyone been?). After Cambodia it's onto Bangkok and Thailand. I HAVE to see a Full Moon party here cus they are legendary so I'll be bouncing down to KohphaNgen island to party and do beaches! :drunk:

After Thailand I have a gap, I might fly straight across the Pacific to catch up with my mates Stateside or head down to Singapore etc.

One way or another it's West Coast USA/Canada seeing mates from my last trip. L.A, San Fran, Seattle maybe?

Finally I'll be making my way across the states to Miami (I always have to hit Miami !) and New York, maybe Toronto before heading home.

I'm not just saying all this to show off! :lol: I was wondering if anyone has any experiences or must see recommendations for any of these places?

I don't have endless funds or time but I have quite a bit of flexibility at this point so would love to hear peoples thoughts. :thumbs:

photo_lg_china.jpgchina-hong-kong.jpgHalong-Bay-Junks.jpgho-chi-minh-city.jpgmarket.gifBayonfacesl.jpgthailand-phi-phi-beach.jpgfullmoonthailand2.jpg0-los-angeles_master.jpgsan_fran1.jpgocean-drive-sw.jpgtimes-square-at-night.jpg:yahoo:

Shame you cant stop off in Sri Lanka on the way... Sygaria rock is a site to behold.

Got to do Japan on the way? (You could pay for your trip by sourcing some rare Zed parts!!)

HK great place, not sure if it desirves a week...

San Fran is brilliant, loved the place... Its worth driving then to LV and seeing the canyon etc and then hopping on a flight to NY

I know it seems a weird one, but you could consider hitching a lift on one of the freight ships between a couple of your locations, good way of seeing a few ports and things not on the public trail. Ships are tres comfertable and you wont be asked to be the cabin boy for the trip... Just somethign to add to the experience if you have the time?

To be honest Singapore has lost a lot of its charm and is now just another buit up city, you would be better advised visiting somewhere like Penang. The trip looks great and I am glad you are staying away from the normal tourist bits of the Far East.

Osaka was one of my favourite stops out there, its an amazing place.

I love Seattle, a very nice city.

I am not sure how New Orleans is faring at the moment but well worth considering although again, Bourbon Streets focus has shifted considerably since I first visited.

Xi'an is definitely worth a visit, you probably only need to spend 2/3 days there though and you can see most of HK in 3/4 days so you could probably do both, it's hard to say which is best because they're so different but both well worth a visit. If you did decide only to do one then I'd say maybe Xi'an as it's probably more likely that you'll be able to go to HK in the future? You could also spend 2/3 days in Xi'an and then 3/4 days in Shanghaii?

I'd agree with MartinMac on Singapore but I did really like Kuala Lumpur, Borneo might be another option if wildlife interests you at all, you can fly there from KL with AirAsia for about £20 return!

Man, that's an awesome sounding trip! My and my missus will be heading that way in September (all booked up), although, i'll be going for 6 weeks and she will be going for 6 months! :(

Will be flying to Bangkok, doing a ten day trip through Cambodia "roam Cambodia", into Vietnam, up that coast, pop over into Laos, ending up into Hanoi where i'll be bidding farewell to my other half and heading home.....unless work goes pete tong and if that happens, i'll be going for 6 months! :teeth::teeth:

Hope you have an awesome time dude!!

I had to travel to China and Japan on business over the last 7 years and can recommend you go to the Great Wall and the Forbidden City (both done from Beijing). Avoid the tour that does 4 pales in a day, it only give a hint of any on them. You need at least 1/2 a day for the Great Wall and a full day for the Forbidden City.

The Summer Palace is good if it's sunny and the echoing wall at the Temple of Heaven has to be experienced. Again, these are in Beijing.

I didn't get to go to Xi'an but you need 1 or 2 days minimum there.

I hear that the tour on the Three Rivers gourge going downstream from ChongQing is a good trip as well.

In Thailand you should definitely go to Lumpini stadium in Bangkok. Although it might not be your style of martial arts its definitely worth going to see the Thai-boxing there. It was amazing when I went (but I used to practise it and fight!!). you should also try and get down to the islands as I have honestly never been to a place like Phi Phi island before. The site of the island from the boat actually made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I also found a bar where you can have an exhibition fight for free drinks. I ended up getting up there after far to many Thai beers and whipped some guy for even more free Thai beer!!! :lol:

Your trip sounds amazing and I am very jealous!!