Windows not dropping when opening doors

BladesGrant

Hey everyone, my windows seem to appear to have stopped dropping when I open the doors. They are trying to go up when the doors shut but obviously don't do much as they haven't dropped in the first place. Both passenger and drivers side are doing the same. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be or how to fix them to go down again?

Thanks

Grant

Hey everyone, my windows seem to appear to have stopped dropping when I open the doors. They are trying to go up when the doors shut but obviously don't do much as they haven't dropped in the first place. Both passenger and drivers side are doing the same. Does anyone have any ideas why this may be or how to fix them to go down again?

Thanks

Grant

Hi grant,

have the same issue on the driver door... reset of windows didnt work (not opening and reset on the actual motor but holding the window button up until you hear it click), never a good time o take of the side panel either...always RAINING over here!

let me know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

The reset procedure is only really to ensure that the window drops the right distance before the motor cuts out.

If like me, you still have a problem after trying that, I suspect that you will end up having to replace the motor/regulator unit. To access this, you have to remove the door card, then take out the 10mm bolts that hold the central metal plate in place - the window mechanism, including the motor and cable gear, is attached to the back of this. You then have to lossen the three bolts that hold the mechanism to the bottom of the glass. These bolts are behind the large black plastic covers on the plate. It's a two-man job, really, as you need somebody to hold the glass while you remove the plate (after having removed the various wiring connections).

I found that simply greasing and freeing off the mechanism was enough to cure the problem on the driver's side, but I had to replace the motor on the passenger side.

I may try greasing it like you say first to see if that works. How come the windows still work fine if there is something wrong with the motor?

The motor turns but the mechanism can stick or the regulator can be faulty, and the regulator unit is riveted together so it's not something that can be fixed.