Front Suspension Issues

jonathan

Just had a P1 service at ~45,000 miles (UK car), Nissan have told me it needs two new front suspension 'wishbones' at a cost of £800 pounds plus VAT (kerching!). Speaking to the guy in service he reckons it's the bushes that have gone (split), but they come as the whole unit.

No Noise or effect on steering that I've noticed, and when the mechanic tried to show me I couldn't really see what the issue was. Speaking to the mechanic he referred to them as the trailing arm bushes, adding if it did have a wishbone they would be the rear bushes.

Has anyone had any experience of this and are the bushes available seperately from any after market supplier, your help would be appreciated.

These do split but are not dangerous, so nothing to worry about.

Sign of the times with garages trying to drum up business.

If you really want to replace them then I have a pair that have only done 9000 miles that you can have but like I said, really no need to replace them. :thumbs:

Thanks for the advice and the offers, reassuring to know it's not serious, since there are no problems with running I think I'll see how it goes.

I did get the feeling that Nissan (Widnes) were trying to drum up business, in the same breath I was advised to get 2 rear tyres (at £500), the aircon belt (due to age cracks), the rear brakes done (which are OK), to think about rear disks (also OK), etc... I know the dealerships are having a hard time but this is driving business away.

Much appreciated.

Thanks for the advice and the offers, reassuring to know it's not serious, since there are no problems with running I think I'll see how it goes.

I did get the feeling that Nissan (Widnes) were trying to drum up business, in the same breath I was advised to get 2 rear tyres (at £500), the aircon belt (due to age cracks), the rear brakes done (which are OK), to think about rear disks (also OK), etc... I know the dealerships are having a hard time but this is driving business away.

Much appreciated.

I'd get the aircon belts done as if it does break it can slash through your aircon hoses meaning replacement and a re-gass.

the aircon belt (due to age cracks)

I'd get the aircon belts done as if it does break it can slash through your aircon hoses meaning replacement and a re-gass.

Agree with Ian. Had the aircon belt done in my Z a few months back, just starting to show a tiny bit of wear. Best to get that sorted. You'll easily see if it's looking a bit tired.

assuming it's the front inner control arm bushings - quite common for them to tear

you do not need to buy the whole arm...we can supply the Whiteline urethane bushings just for this...they are cheap as well! We also offer a full bearing version as well

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24617

Requires your shop to remove the arm, press the old bushes out, and press the new ones in. Not a long job at all. Given enough time, the bushings can totally split. The front end will get very noisy as a result, and steering will become extremely vague, bordering on unsafe