I think I cought the cleaning bug

maz77

this is the result of my first real attempt at cleaning the zed.

some

Megs gold shampoo

dry

Megs clay kit

Megs gold shampoo

Aotuglym polish

unfortunately I ran out of time to wax the car but hoping next attempt would include wax and sealant.

buy the way, advice on sealant for azure paint would be much appreciated.

this is the clay bar after just one door :headhurt:

P1010047.jpg

P1010051.jpg

P1010052.jpg

P1010055.jpg

P1010057.jpg

P1010058.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010063.jpg

thanks for looking

if you clay bar you must polish it after and you must wax as well. no wax means your not putting back the moisture the paint needs and your leaving the paint un protected. polish isn't enough on its own.

I am planning on waxing it 2moro as I am working for the rest of the day. thanks for pointing that out bud

if you clay bar you must polish it after and you must wax as well. no wax means your not putting back the moisture the paint needs and your leaving the paint un protected. polish isn't enough on its own.

I am planning on waxing it 2moro as I am working for the rest of the day. thanks for pointing that out bud

sorry if it sounded like i was telling you off, or if i stated the bloody obvious and you already knew :blush:

I'd agree that you are best off waxing or sealing after but why the need to polish? Can't think of any reason why you would need to unless you had marred the paint.

Re OP sealant query.

Jetseal 109 or Glisten MkV will both be suitable - I've never found sealants to be colour sensitive TBH.

Lay down either sealant and leave a day or so to completely cure (will cure much faster if machine applied) and then coat with your favourite wax,

Your clay has a lot of tar in it - tar is a pretty gritty product and clay removing it will generally mar the surface. Esp' if the car is badly tarred.

This is fine if machine polishing is to follow.

However, a better removal method is a bespoke tar & glue remover - this will very quickly enable you to remove tar in a much safer manner.

Hope this helps.

I'd agree that you are best off waxing or sealing after but why the need to polish? Can't think of any reason why you would need to unless you had marred the paint.

i was always told if your cleaning normally you only need to wax after a wash, but if your using a claybar that you should always polish after clay, but before wax.

have i got my methodology all wrong? i'm fairly new to Detailing so don't profess to be any kind of an expert, i just do as i'm told :blush:

i was always told if your cleaning normally you only need to wax after a wash, but if your using a claybar that you should always polish after clay, but before wax.

+1.

I have to mention that the tar only came up after I got to the skirt.

the paint isn't marred at all.

maybe nick can shed some light here :thumbs:

Re: polishing after claying. This is not needed unless the paint has been marred. After you have finished claying you have a very clean surface albeit covered with lube and small particles of suspended crud. Once this is removed then the surface is ready for an immediate application of wax or sealant which will benefit from the clean surface re adhesion.

Maybe something has got muddled in translation ie the usual steps would be clay, polish and then wax but the polish process is not a necessity.

Clear as mud? :)

There is a danger in removing anything with clay, be it tar, tree sap or fallout. Small particles are easily pulled off the paint and into the clay but occasionally a larger particle may give rise to a nasty 'squeal' which = a scratch in progress. Unless I am correcting after I prefer to use a solvent to minimise this risk.

Second reason I don't like removing tar with clay is that to remove difficult deposits requires an amount of 'scrubbing' - this pretty much always mars. Often visible as a dulled patch in daylight and def' visible under a Brinkmann.

The extent of this will depend on paint hardness, aggresiveness of clay and sensitivity of the user! :)

I've used a mild clay (pre-correction) and have marred removing very hard deposits of tree sap. Maybe I'm not sensitive! :lol:

Clay - good stuff but needs a bit of care.

Re: polishing after claying. This is not needed unless the paint has been marred. After you have finished claying you have a very clean surface albeit covered with lube and small particles of suspended crud. Once this is removed then the surface is ready for an immediate application of wax or sealant which will benefit from the clean surface re adhesion.

Maybe something has got muddled in translation ie the usual steps would be clay, polish and then wax but the polish process is not a necessity.

Clear as mud? :)

There is a danger in removing anything with clay, be it tar, tree sap or fallout. Small particles are easily pulled off the paint and into the clay but occasionally a larger particle may give rise to a nasty 'squeal' which = a scratch in progress. Unless I am correcting after I prefer to use a solvent to minimise this risk.

Second reason I don't like removing tar with clay is that to remove difficult deposits requires an amount of 'scrubbing' - this pretty much always mars. Often visible as a dulled patch in daylight and def' visible under a Brinkmann.

The extent of this will depend on paint hardness, aggresiveness of clay and sensitivity of the user! :)

I've used a mild clay (pre-correction) and have marred removing very hard deposits of tree sap. Maybe I'm not sensitive! :lol:

Clay - good stuff but needs a bit of care.

cheers nick. info much appreciated :thumbs: