Rarerims 19" Rota GTR Group Buy Thread

ben@RARE RIMS

Hello Ben and Julian, fancy seeing you here ........... :D

Hello Doc :) Has your story made on to here as well?

I have updated post 1 with the names of the people who appear to be interested. That leaves just 2 more spaces for this to go ahead!

It looks like we have a good supply of pictures as well now, but any questions please do ask and I'll come straight back to you.

Cheers

Ben

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like we have a good supply of pictures as well now, but any questions please do ask and I'll come straight back to you.

Hi Ben, I've posted a few questions above. Thought I'd better mention it in case you missed them as they got caught between your last two posts. :thumbs:

Thanks for that Matt :)

We will include a complete set of new wheel nuts with these in a nice black colour :thumbs:

Centre caps will be wheel coloured with the Rota logo.

IMG_2225.jpg

Hyper silver is not quite the same... the wheels you posted are hyper silver with polished lip. If you look at the spoke sides you will see they're quite black, the silver we have is silver all the way round as below:

IMG_2226.jpg

The picture I posted was silver with polished lip, and looks very similar. The ones we have chosen to stock are a more even and uniform finish, and generally more popular as a result.

Hyper silver is more a chrome black silver. As Ben says its almost like a flip paint. We dont seem to get it over here. Why do the US get so many more colours Ben? I have never understood that. Its why Phil had to get mine refinished as the colour I wanted wasnt available over here :dry:

There is a HUGE range of colours available. For example there are 10 difference bronze options.

We have over 10,000 wheels in stock at present, and that's just carrying the popular colours and fitments. To have every colour and fitment and size and offset available would mean carrying over 400000 wheels to have one of each...

What we do is get the popular fitments and sizes and offsets, often ones we have ordered as specials, which as the largest Rota dealer in the world, we can do!

What we do offer if refinishing of any wheels we have in a colour of your choice, with a variety of finishes. Depending on what you would like, this can be very economical and give you a unique set of wheels!

The picture I posted was silver with polished lip, and looks very similar. The ones we have chosen to stock are a more even and uniform finish, and generally more popular as a result.

Fan-bloody-tastic! :teeth: They look even better than the Hyper Silver! Right, I'm definitely in for a set with FK452s!

Do the nuts include a set of black lockers or is that extra?

What we do offer if refinishing of any wheels we have in a colour of your choice, with a variety of finishes. Depending on what you would like, this can be very economical and give you a unique set of wheels!

So if wanted a anthracite spokes with a polished lip that would be possible?! Something for me to think about! ;)

For this Group buy, I'll put a set of lockers included in the cost, as a little extra incentive :D

We can do anthracite spokes and polished lip. We will possibly get some in from Rota in anthracite with polished lip if the demand is there, but for the time being we will just refinish stock wheels.

I know the GTR wheels are called P45 in the US, they are also offered as P45R which has all 4 wheels concaved.

Do you offer the same setup? I assume the R simply means REAR and 4 rear wheels are shipped.

I know the GTR wheels are called P45 in the US, they are also offered as P45R which has all 4 wheels concaved.

Do you offer the same setup? I assume the R simply means REAR and 4 rear wheels are shipped.

Yeah P45R = Rear. From what I read on the US forums running 19x10 on the front and rear isn't really recommended. I found the following posted by a US Rota dealer:

For a 19" setup that is this wide I would typically recommend running a staggered setup. With a smaller front tire (in the 245 to 255 range) you will have a responsive setup that will have great turn in, especially considering the 19" size.

It will still perform however for a street setup I would recommend the staggered fitment. If you do plan to run 19x10 all around I would run a 255/35/19 front and 275 or 285/35/19 rear tire. The front tire will be stretched and won't be as responsive however overall fitment on the car won't bee very difficult.

255/35 front and 285/35 rear would still maintain a 21mm difference between front and rear diameters (so no TCS issues) and I don't think think the front tyres would be stretched as Toyo say the T1R in 255/35/19 is good for 8.5 - 10 inch rims.

The questions I have about a non staggered setup are:

1) Would it handle properly with 19x10 front and rear?

2) Would it look right, i.e. would the fronts stick out too much?

3) Would the front arches need rolling, especially if lowered, with 19x10 on the front?

This is a pic of a non staggered Rota setup (18 x 9.5 I think):

IMG_2356.JPG

Another option for a deeper dish look that still has some stagger is 18x9.5 +20 front and 19x10 +20 rear. That would look like this:

AngledShot-LoadingDock.jpg

FrontAngle-CarStereoInstallation-1.jpg

RearShot-Clouds.jpg

I'm very interested in a set of silver Rotas with Toyos, what is the durability like on the polished lip? Any reported cases of corrosion setting in?

If I'm honest its not the best, but not too bad, and for the price you can get them refubed about 5 times before they get anywhere near the price of Volks, so its no biggie :thumbs: I had mine refurbed with a powdercoat laquer which was rock solid and even that is starting to go after about a year of doing 70 miles a day :blush:

as it happens we have recently upgraded the warranty on the polished lips, as they are improving all the time! Details are on our website.

http://www.rarerims.co.uk/rarerimsblog_ind.asp?id=22

With regards the concave look, that's the real beauty of these 19s... They're concave front and back with the staggered fitment sizes, so they really match well. With the 18s the smaller widths looked quite different to the larger ones, but with the 19s they are both concave spoked.

I'm very interested in a set of silver Rotas with Toyos, what is the durability like on the polished lip? Any reported cases of corrosion setting in?

If I'm honest its not the best, but not too bad, and for the price you can get them refubed about 5 times before they get anywhere near the price of Volks, so its no biggie :thumbs: I had mine refurbed with a powdercoat laquer which was rock solid and even that is starting to go after about a year of doing 70 miles a day :blush:

It's also worth noting that the LMGT4s are well known for corroding as soon as winter sets in so this isn't restricted to the wheels at the cheaper end of the market.

If you clean and seal the wheels like mad you might be able to make them last a few years before needing a refurb though. Chemical Guys Wheel Guard and Jetseal109 are both supposed to work really well in protecting the wheels. Also make sure you clean them religiously, once a week if possible, even if you don't have time to clean the rest of the car and you might be in luck. Otherwise just see it as an excuse for a refurb! :lol:

is it just me or every single rota design is a blatant copy of another manufacturer? (Volk, Work, Nismo and so on...)

Blimey, they're not going to get anything past you, mate! :lol:

is it just me or every single rota design is a blatant copy of another manufacturer? (Volk, Work, Nismo and so on...)

Surely they could design their own unique wheels? Oh wait, to sell them cheap they have to save money somewhere :doh:

Fook me, you're a genius! As Nixy says, exactly the same as highstreet fashion. Why reinvent the wheel if you dont need to :lol:

Surely they could design their own unique wheels? Oh wait, to sell them cheap they have to save money somewhere :doh:

Yeah, Volk invented the "Classic" LMGT4 5 spoke design didn't they?! :lol: The clue is in the word "classic". :dry:

What's the matter, didn't get the response you were hoping for with your previous comment so have to be a bit less subtle this time? :lol: If you want to bitch about Rota then start a new thread in the Wheels section and I'm sure plenty of people will be happy to debate it. Again. This isn't the place for it.