New disc and pad question.... (bedding in!)

cfoster

Fitted my new Ultimax discs and redstuff pads last night (thank CS for supplying :) ), all went on perfectly only taking about half hour per side.

Took it down the road with my left foot very lightly on the brake to get them bedded in slightly. When i got back and came to a halt on the driveway I noticed a slight grinding noise when coming to a stop. I presume its coming from the discs/pads. Is this a normal type noise when first fitting them. The face of the redstuff pads look quite rough so I presume its just them wearing off the top layer b as I have noticed slight score marks on the black face of the discs. I presume once they smooth out after a few more miles all should be ok?

Is this normal?!!

Cheers

Chris

PM CS, although I' sure he will be along shortly to confirm bud. I havent used them myself, but I do know they have a bedding in surface on them (which I havent seen on other pads) so it may just be this. If you have checked that there arent any stones in the guard at the back and that the pads and disc are mating properly, I'm not sure what else it can be :wacko:

Have a look at http://350z-tech.com/zwiki/Brake_Pad_Bedding for a good guide on bedding.

Dragging the brakes is usually a bad idea and not recommended for a bedding procedure as you'll get parts of the disc/pad hotter than others with

the constant contact rather than allowing the whole system to warm up which is what you get from separate applications.

If the pads have an additional high friction layer at the surface then the bedding time should be reduced but you still need to get

the pads up to a decent temperature to get rid of the surface resins. The high friction layer is more beneficial when fitting new pads

on ols discs as it allows any surface film from the old pads to be removed quickly as the new pads bed in.

Have a look at http://350z-tech.com/zwiki/Brake_Pad_Bedding for a good guide on bedding.

Dragging the brakes is usually a bad idea and not recommended for a bedding procedure as you'll get parts of the disc/pad hotter than others with

the constant contact rather than allowing the whole system to warm up which is what you get from separate applications.

+millionty

If you carry on doing that you could warp the discs and then need to replace them again straight away. As a rule I always do:

50-30 with light pressure x6

70-40 with med pressure x6

Drive for about 100 miles without ever using full pedal pressure unless it's to avoid an accident

90-40 with hard pressure x6

That's a very rough rule though, depends on pad type really.

Excellent cheers guys, i wont be driving with my left foot on the brake slightly any more!!!! That was always the general concensus in my Cosworth days to bedding them in!!

Been speaking to CS so all sounds normal, was just worried about the ever so slight score marks on the discs, but presume its just the black surface wearing off!!!!

Chris :)