Pop Charger

madhops87

Check in the guides section, there is a procedure in there but IMO its not something that you will bother to do on a regular basis.

The advert is correct in that it would make a gain possible but the 350z ecu learns and smooths out the gains.

Check in the guides section, there is a procedure in there but IMO its not something that you will bother to do on a regular basis.

The advert is correct in that it would make a gain possible but the 350z ecu learns and smooths out the gains.

That's what I thought, but my impression that there had been a slight improvement in pickup has continued since I fitted the popcharger a few weeks ago. Is it possible that I have one of the early JDM ECUs that do not level things out? Is there any other way of knowing whether you have one of them or not?

Anyway, it does sound great now! :thumbs:

That's what I thought, but my impression that there had been a slight improvement in pickup has continued since I fitted the popcharger a few weeks ago. Is it possible that I have one of the early JDM ECUs that do not level things out? Is there any other way of knowing whether you have one of them or not?

Anyway, it does sound great now! :thumbs:

surely regardless of ecu's learning thingy. a better breathing filter and better flowing exhaust will improve the throttle response.

Ive never heard of a car having a "full" exhaust or the more important exhaust parts fitted without and gain. For instance what about sports cats??? Do these have little gain??? They make a massive difference on nearly every car i know of.

Don't get me wrong though, im speaking in general. i cant really say much about a car i dont know too much about. Ive just never heard of an ecu being able ruin any gains like this. But re-setting the ecu usualy does freshen up a car from time to time.

Gilly

Gilly, the car will benefit from breathing mods yes. But from what we are led to beleive, the operating window of the ECU is very limited. So you add more air, you need more fuel. Well the car is very clever, and it knows for the revs and engine load, what fueling it should give (this has a window dependant on other things too), so once you hit the upper window in any given situation you wont get any more power as the car will simply not give it any more fuel, so it runs lean. This coupled to a FBW throttle can control the intake too, thus controlling the airflow. SO yes you will get gains, but only up until the point the car doesnt know what to do with the extra breathing which is pretty quick.

From the technosquare website (these guys map loads of 350z, so generally know their stuff I am led to beleive!)

Current Nissan ECUs come with VERY sophisticated engine control functions, such as a constant O2 sensor feed back system and torque management by an electronic throttle control system. In another words, the ECU has complete control of the engine, not you. When it comes to performance modification and driving, these systems will get in your way, as the factory ECU is set to work best with the stock configuration of the vehicle and ordinary drivers.

When you start modifying your Nissan, you will find it very difficult to gain output by just adding performance parts. In some cases, you even lose some power and torque. Since the ECU is unable to automatically detect the modifications you made to your engine, it will still try to work within the parameters set for stock condition.

Even if you push the gas pedal to floor, it doesn't mean your throttle is opening 100%.

Nissan sets the throttle characteristic for various particulars, such as torque management for drivability, or Venturi effect for faster induction and more. This is fine for the average Joe content to run his car stock, but a lot of enthusiastic drivers find it very annoying.

Gilly, the car will benefit from breathing mods yes. But from what we are led to beleive, the operating window of the ECU is very limited. So you add more air, you need more fuel. Well the car is very clever, and it knows for the revs and engine load, what fueling it should give (this has a window dependant on other things too), so once you hit the upper window in any given situation you wont get any more power as the car will simply not give it any more fuel, so it runs lean. This coupled to a FBW throttle can control the intake too, thus controlling the airflow. SO yes you will get gains, but only up until the point the car doesnt know what to do with the extra breathing which is pretty quick.

From the technosquare website (these guys map loads of 350z, so generally know their stuff I am led to beleive!)

Current Nissan ECUs come with VERY sophisticated engine control functions, such as a constant O2 sensor feed back system and torque management by an electronic throttle control system. In another words, the ECU has complete control of the engine, not you. When it comes to performance modification and driving, these systems will get in your way, as the factory ECU is set to work best with the stock configuration of the vehicle and ordinary drivers.

When you start modifying your Nissan, you will find it very difficult to gain output by just adding performance parts. In some cases, you even lose some power and torque. Since the ECU is unable to automatically detect the modifications you made to your engine, it will still try to work within the parameters set for stock condition.

Even if you push the gas pedal to floor, it doesn't mean your throttle is opening 100%.

Nissan sets the throttle characteristic for various particulars, such as torque management for drivability, or Venturi effect for faster induction and more. This is fine for the average Joe content to run his car stock, but a lot of enthusiastic drivers find it very annoying.

that sucks lol

Gilly