RC drifting

Chris`I

Ask all you want about RC drifting in here.

Will add info on my car and what cars/equipment are best shortly in this post.

To wet your appetite

OK, so not sure what info you want, but the best place to start is DRC Central and their n00bie FAQ- http://www.drccentral.com/forums/index. ... topic=4048

So basically, RC drifting is just like normal drifting just with RC cars! You can use pretty much any car you already have, but a few alterations need to be made, which are largely what you see when you see RC drift packages. Main thing to change is the tyres. Largely they use a hard compound to get all the wheels sliding. From there on, its the usual stuff you see in normal cars and the skys the limits, carbon chasis, better suspension, new motors, ARBs etc etc. You get the idea.

There are a lot of manufacturers with a lof of kits out there. Some of the biggest and best players are:

• Yokomo:
    Yokomo almost singlehandedly made RC drifting mainstream. They made a drift specific chassis bare on their succesful MR-4TC. But their other chassis' still hold their own in drifting. The SD SSG is one of those other chassis' that is used extensivly throughout the scene (Eddie in the UK D1RC competition just to name one).

Tamiya:
    The inventor of the RC as we know it today. Tamiya today offer great entry kits, but also a selection of VERY high quality full race spec kits. Like the TRF 415MSX.

HPI:
    HPI.... The maker of the RS4 Pro series. And the latest incarnation, the Pro4. HPI has always had an preference for belt driven cars (altho the Pro4 is shaft). Altho people always argue which is best (belt or shaft driven), HPI's kits do the job they are supposed to do. Many hop-up parts are available for almost every chassis they make. So an entry-level Sprint sporting almost a full carbon setup is not impossible.

Hot Bodies:
    A fairly new contender in the top class RC racing scene. Their Cyclone is a Pro4 derived belt driven race car. With many alu. and carbon bits as standard.

Team Associated
    The maker of the TC-X series of chassis'. Used throughout the 1:10 scale touring car championships. The TA kits have own numerous A mains. And there's no doubt that they make very capable chassis'.

Team Losi:
    Losi might not be such a popular brand. But their quality is very good. And their fully enclosed belt drive system on their XXX-S. Is imo a briliant idea.

X-Ray
    X-Ray are based in Europe and have made high specification race chassis for some years, winning world championships on the way. They are a little expensive and parts can be difficult to find but the quality is high.

All these companies off drift cars and kits. These kits come in various forms, from Ready to Run (RTR) to full kits where you need all the electronics and other gubbins. RTR comes with all the bits you need generally, but sometimes not so read the kit contents carfully. You will need

• The Car!
    Transmitter (stick or pistole type, is up to you). These usually include servo's and receivers.
    Electronic Speed Control (ESC) This allows you to change the speed of your motor... Quite useful if you ask me :p
    Batteries: NiCD, NiMH, LiPO ect.. Bottom line is. You wont get your car moving, unless it's got some juice.
    Charger: Even if you have batteries. You wont be able to use them, if you cant charge them.
    Paints, scissors, craft knife and some imagination for painting the shell and getting it looking tip top

This is all covered in the DRC Central FAQ posted above (and ripped off from there!)

So that should get you guys and idea of what is needed etc. Kits can cost from £100 or more. I wouldnt suggest getting a cheap Tamiya like the TTO1, but rather go for something a bit better like a Yokomo or a HPI Sprint 2 (which is what I have). They are much better built and better upgrade path. Model Sport ( http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ ) are my fav online supplier, but try out your local hobby shop if you have one :thumbs:

Once you guys get comfortable with this we can start to talk about more complex stuff like if you should go brushless motor and use LiPo packs

:drive1

How much and how much to keep em going? I had a Tamiya off road battery car when I was younger and the PITA was having to keep charging it.

New a fully built chasis would see you about £250, but recently there were 2 as new Sprint 2s on ebay for under £100! Decent thing with drifting, is because of the low grip levels, you dont stress the motor much and with new bigger capacity batteries, you can see 1.5hrs out of 2x 4500Mah batteries :thumbs:

I cant afford to have RC as a hobby! :blush:

i used to do it in early teens and my car was off the track more than on it - and then i attempted to take it up again last year... bought all the car and kit etc - took it to a meet, and 3 things broke on the first day! Cost me another 40quid to carry on :surrender:

It brought back all my previous bad memories - so i came home and stuck the thing on eBay!

Have to admit though - that drifting looks ace. B)

How much and how much to keep em going? I had a Tamiya off road battery car when I was younger and the PITA was having to keep charging it.

New a fully built chasis would see you about £250, but recently there were 2 as new Sprint 2s on ebay for under £100! Decent thing with drifting, is because of the low grip levels, you dont stress the motor much and with new bigger capacity batteries, you can see 1.5hrs out of 2x 4500Mah batteries :thumbs:

The hunt on ebay last night didnt throw anything really up, will continue today, if you find anything chris, drop us a pm :thumbs:

The hunt on ebay last night didnt throw anything really up, will continue today, if you find anything chris, drop us a pm :thumbs:

Will do mate. Like I say there were 2 sets on there that went quite cheap in the end I guess, but there arent any on there now :surrender:

EDIT: There is a Sprint 2 Flux which is the brushless version of the Sprint 2 (costs about £300 new) for £160 BIN or going for £130 with 0 bids atm. You'd need to get some drift tyres (about £15 on ebay) and it would be good to to :thumbs: This is pretty much the same spec as the one I use as I upgraded my Sprint 2 to brushless a couple of weeks ago.

Ah brings back memories of the old Tamyia Falcon I had - well just on sat gave to a mate to play with and give it an overhaul - still running after 20 years.

Would love to get back into it but know it would end up costing £300+ Would want to build it from scratch again