Some Headlight information

dcash5

Right I have been getting quite intermate with my head lights recently due to a few issues with a second set I was installing so I thought I would pass on my knowledge

First of all ...

The UK Headlights have an 8 pin connector block

The JDM/US lights have an 6 pin connector block therefore they are not a direct plug and play swap

The difference is that that the UK lights use a self leveling system (red and blue wires) where as the JDM/US uses a manual system

On the JDM/US lights the 6 pins/wiring is arranged in the following configuration (diagram is looking from the wire side of the block not looking at the pins)

Lightplug.jpg

The Red and Black wire on the top row goes directly to the Xenon invertor and they are slightly thicker as there are two black wires (its Obvious when you see it)

Here a paint version of the JDM headlight wiring loom :teeth:

[WiringDiagramHeadlamp-1.jpg

The bulbs are:

Indicator: 20mm wedge (commonly known as a T20)

Side Light: 10mm Wedge (commonly known as a 501)

Xenon Headlight bulb: ( 35w D2R) Stock rating is 4600k The higher the K (kelvon) rating the bluer the bulb (not any brighter as most people think)

High Beam bulb: H7 55w

The fuses are located in the fuse box behind the battery. There is a multitude of fuses

1x 15amp per Xenon bulb (dipped)

1x 10amp per halogen (High)

Note the rest of the cluster can work with a single fuse blown as the fuses are per bulb, (confused me for a while). Displays symptoms of a blown bulb.

Just thought some of this info might be useful for someone one day

i've just got some ballasts and igniters to replace the damaged ones i have, i got them in the states, will this affect them, as i'm not sure which bits your plugging or unplugging.

i'm fairly certain the bit i have only controls the current to the HIDs i don't think it affects the self levellers.

• 2 years later...

The UK Headlights have an 8 pin connector block

The JDM/US lights have an 6 pin connector block therefore they are not a direct plug and play swap

The difference is that that the UK lights use a self leveling system (red and blue wires) where as the JDM/US uses a manual system

Exactly. I need the plug circled in red below so I don't have to destory my current headlights? Wrecker wants me to buy the whole murano light I found locally for the single plug :rant:

xenonclip.jpg

Is this what I'm looking for? http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Matsushita-N ... 35b5827e95

If so - anyone know where to source a genuine part rather than the Chinese rip-off?

• 4 months later...

I have a 03 plate JDM and am currently trying to get continental headlights. I have asked some dealers and german scrappys and they stop talking to me the moment they find out I have a non European import. Apart from the difference in wiring will the headlight unit fit in my vehicle or do they differ in size and shape?

One guy I spoke to said he doesn't have headlights for a JDM but he's happy to see if the euro ones fit/work for free, but his workshop is quite a distance so I don't want to waste his time/my petrol if they won't.

Thanks for any help.