Is my battery dead or my alternator?

Bundus

Well I finally got the car back and I am over the moon with the work - another post with pics to follow on that ;)

One problem though is the battery. The car wont start at all without being jumped but once its running it keeps running. I drove it back for 4 hours, turned the engine off outside my house, instantly tried to restart it but nothing.

Mine is a JDM with the smaller battery. Do you think I just need a new battery or could it be something else?

If I do change the battery does anyone know the size of one that I can fit in the JDM. Ive read about what lomoto did by taking the battery tray into a store and asking for one in that size but does anyone happen to know what size it is?

Cheers guys :thumbs:

Well I finally got the car back and I am over the moon with the work - another post with pics to follow on that ;)

One problem though is the battery. The car wont start at all without being jumped but once its running it keeps running. I drove it back for 4 hours, turned the engine off outside my house, instantly tried to restart it but nothing.

Mine is a JDM with the smaller battery. Do you think I just need a new battery or could it be something else?

If I do change the battery does anyone know the size of one that I can fit in the JDM. Ive read about what lomoto did by taking the battery tray into a store and asking for one in that size but does anyone happen to know what size it is?

I had the same problem after my battery died, jump started the car and drove to Halfords and took out the battery and found one of theirs battery was the same size (HB054), below a link, hope this sorts you out

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165762

Not sure what work you had done or whether your starting problem was an issue before it went in for the recent 'work'? Also, when you say "tried to restart it but nothing" do you mean no sound of the engine being turned over - i.e. total silence - not even any clicking noises from the starter motor area?

I'm no expert of the ZED's electrics but going on previous experience if you did not have the problem before the recent work, and given co-incidences are rare, it might be down to a detached wire to the starter solenoid or the starter itself, or possibly a fuse protecting those items that might have got blown?

If on the other hand the starter is trying to work but simply has not got enough guts to turn the engine over, then yes the battery might be knackered - best get it checked. As regrds the alternator - is your voltmeter still working as before? If that seems to be acting normally when the engine is running I would have thought your alternator should be OK.

With a bit of luck someone more familiar with ZED electrics will be along to help out, or you could try contacting ZMANALEX on here by pm - he will almost certainly know what you need to check, and over and above that is usually in the position to supply any necessary parts at competitive prices ;)

Thanks a lot for all the info guys.

Based on what you said I figured the battery was the culprit so decided to start with that.

In the end I went for lomoto's original route and removed the battery and the battery tray. Took the tray with me to halfords and they had a uk battery that was the perfect size.

Had a bit of luck too because they had one in stock that already had the smaller terminals so it was a straight swap.

Car now fires up quicker then ever and had no problems since.

Now I guess I better do that other post and give a write up of my "new" zed.

Cheers.

Glad to see it sorted chap. How long was the car not started for? I know with my old bike batterys (small as the JDM car ones are), if you let them drain too much over time, they just refuse to take charge. I have a feeling this is what has happened to yours, and new battery will do the trick as it appears to have :thumbs: