My buddy's 1993 Mazda RX-7 / 500 hp!

Indyzed

My buddy stopped by with his RX-7 and took me for a ride Friday evening. It ended abruptly when while sitting on a hill, in line, waiting for a stop sign, his car decided to eat a 30 amp fuse that supplies his fuel pump (he has two pumps for a combined pressure of 40 psi). The car just died and that was it. We had to get out and push it up the rest of the hill, thru the intersection and then into the nearest drive-way. Man I'm glad RX-7's are light! I ended up calling the wife (thankfully she was still at work and only 2 miles away) so she came and rescued us. We went back to my house, picked up some tools and then to the auto parts store. We were able to get the 7 running again so I followed him to his parents home so he could finish the repair. It has only 180 miles on a fresh rebuild so he's babying it for 1500 miles. Mike (my buddy) told me that even babying it (no boost) he's only getting 12 mpg!!!!!!! New wheels are the next upgrade.

RX-7engine1001.jpg

RX-7engine2.jpg

RX-7rear.jpg

RX-7.jpg

RX-7inside.jpg

RX-7inside.jpg

I need to take some pictures of his dad's newest toy. When we got to his house Friday night he took me into the garage and pulled the cover back on a mint 1997 Lotus Esprit twin turbo V-8. It was wedged in a corner so I couldn't get a super close look but he promised to bring it by this summer. :drive1

• 3 weeks later...

Wow thats a machine and a half!

Funny when I had my RX -8 (I know its not in the same BHP league) but even looking at your mates engine - the damn engine itself is only the size of 2 Starter motors really and the rest is just pipework! Such a smart design if only it was a bit more frugal on fuel! Oh well come on Mazda keep developing it! Top Machines! :thumbs:

Wow thats a machine and a half!

Funny when I had my RX -8 (I know its not in the same BHP league) but even looking at your mates engine - the damn engine itself is only the size of 2 Starter motors really and the rest is just pipework! Such a smart design if only it was a bit more frugal on fuel! Oh well come on Mazda keep developing it! Top Machines! :thumbs:

I owned an 8 before my Z. I just had this same conversation with my wife (she's a gear head as well). Our stupid government is trying to pass a new bill that will significantly raise taxes on all sorts of energy including petrol. If that happens, Mazda may as well give up selling the rotary in the states. Btw.......my buddy told me he's only getting 12 mpg right now and that's with no boost. :wacko: