Couple pics of the Roadster

Nick_MSM

Complete disaster guys. Some of you may have read that I slightly damaged the rear valance on a bump in the road the otherday cracking it through completly just below the left exhaust.

Well today something slightly more servere happened. Entering a retail park there is a small 'cattle' style speed hump. Getting over was fine, but on the descent I heard a huge scrape/bang and saw the rear bumper hanging off the driver's side in my rear view mirror :thumbdown::headhurt::angry:

After inspecting it has pulled the bumper off the side (poss snapping brackets although this should be fixable) and slightly damaged the already broken bit further (again fixable) although I'm slightly worried it may have rippled the bumper where it joins the wing.

Then went to inspect this speed hump, it blatently hasn't been looked after, was bumpy, uneven and shows evidence that the down ramp has in fact been removed in the past culminating in a rather large sheer drop.

Went to seek the manager of Sainsburys, complained, filled out a form andf took pics with him - He was in fact very kind and helpful. They are calling me back tomorrow because he isn't 100% sure if it's owned by Sainsburys (in which case he says they will pay) or by the council high ways.

Fingers crossed this will be sorted quickly and I don't have to pay etc. Getting bodyshop to look tomorrow. Just gutted now, taken the shine off the car and I'm wondering if I actually want to keep it having to worry about it like this :thumbdown::wacko:

GUTTED.

I've had it over 2 years and haven't been in such trouble with speed bumps, especially the rear? is it possible yours has been fitted lower than mine has?? seems like the extra lowering of the car is causing more problems than expected :(

If I ever scrape anything, it's the front!!

But yeah if you see unusual speed bumps the suggestion is, don't go over it :)

i know there is a guideline about speed bumps and the set aprameters they must be within but I don't know what the actual fugures are. If the bump was outside these parameters you could take the owner of the speed bump to court.

Complete disaster guys. Some of you may have read that I slightly damaged the rear valance on a bump in the road the otherday cracking it through completly just below the left exhaust.

Well today something slightly more servere happened. Entering a retail park there is a small 'cattle' style speed hump. Getting over was fine, but on the descent I heard a huge scrape/bang and saw the rear bumper hanging off the driver's side in my rear view mirror :thumbdown::headhurt::angry:

After inspecting it has pulled the bumper off the side (poss snapping brackets although this should be fixable) and slightly damaged the already broken bit further (again fixable) although I'm slightly worried it may have rippled the bumper where it joins the wing.

Then went to inspect this speed hump, it blatently hasn't been looked after, was bumpy, uneven and shows evidence that the down ramp has in fact been removed in the past culminating in a rather large sheer drop.

Went to seek the manager of Sainsburys, complained, filled out a form andf took pics with him - He was in fact very kind and helpful. They are calling me back tomorrow because he isn't 100% sure if it's owned by Sainsburys (in which case he says they will pay) or by the council high ways.

Fingers crossed this will be sorted quickly and I don't have to pay etc. Getting bodyshop to look tomorrow. Just gutted now, taken the shine off the car and I'm wondering if I actually want to keep it having to worry about it like this :thumbdown::wacko:

GUTTED.

What a nightmare. Maybe a change of bodykit may be needed :thumbdown:

Quick legal note just in case you ever need it.

Any speed restriction or calming measure installed should be constructed in such a manner that driving over the measure at the legal posted limit will cause no damge to the vehicle and/or occupants.

If you drive over a 30 limit speed hump at 30 miles per hour, any damage incurred by doing so is considered the fault of the person or persons responsible for the inatallation.

Hope all goes well!

Thanks mate. I really think whoever owns it should be liable here, it deff. isn't in a satisfactory condition - There is clear evidence the downramp has been removed at some point, the top of it (bricks) is totally uneven etc.

Once I'm in contact with the owner I'll ask for proof of when it has been checked/maintained, and failing that instructing my solicitor to proceed with action.

I will take some pics and post here, things like this are a disgrace :thumbdown:

Have bodyshop coming today to look at car, praying it doesn't need a new bumper and can be repaired in which case *shouldn't* be too expensive. Fingers crossed.

Thanks mate. I really think whoever owns it should be liable here, it deff. isn't in a satisfactory condition - There is clear evidence the downramp has been removed at some point, the top of it (bricks) is totally uneven etc.

Once I'm in contact with the owner I'll ask for proof of when it has been checked/maintained, and failing that instructing my solicitor to proceed with action.

I will take some pics and post here, things like this are a disgrace :thumbdown:

Have bodyshop coming today to look at car, praying it doesn't need a new bumper and can be repaired in which case *shouldn't* be too expensive. Fingers crossed.

So sorry Nick... Your having no luck with this kit... I've been in that situation before, this might sound stupid, where you drive over a hump and then have to reverse to get back over it :scare: Good luck with the claim. Hopefully Chesterfields words of wisdom will pull off :thumbs:

Nick,

Just to follow up Chesterfields posts about legal requirements.....

I've just done a quick google and found these sites...... there are design specifications about humps etc in this lot. You can probably use it to prove poor installation and maintenance....

DoT Traffic Management Specifications:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_control/documents/contentservertemplate/dft_index.hcst?n=9300&l=3

Bromley Council legal basis (but will apply everywhere):

http://www.bromleytransport.org.uk/Legal_basis_of_traffic_calming.htm

Hope some of this helps mate,

following on.... this is an interesting statement:

Hump Dimensions and Location

"Speed humps must be at right angles to the carriageway, be at least 900mm long, be less than 100 mm high and more than 25mm high and not have a vertical face exceeding 6 mm. Note that most speed humps in the UK are now constructed at 75 mm height due to grounding on higher ones, and there are other guidelines on their use and such measures as leading and trailing slopes which are given later, but these do not necessarily have the force of law. Road humps may be constructed under Zebra, Pelican and Puffin crossings, if centrally located under them. However they cannot be placed near bridge supports, or near tunnels or culverts beneath the road."

Thanks a lot for the links/help everyone will give them a good read over :)

GOOD news, bodyshop think bumpers fine, and have quoted me £130 to fix it so it's booked in for next week. Will see what the retail park has to say r.e compensation - Fancy booking a holiday to New York soon so any contribution from them will be gratefully received ;)