customs charges on imported mods.

elecious

ordered the front and rear spats along with the white front reflectors from the american z-store.com site

total price was around $90 but they have emailed me with shipping costs of another $55, so total $145 (around £90)

the problem, they say i may get charged even more from the british customs when the items are delivered, has anyone else ordered from the american z-store.com who can give me an idea of what i may be charged when they are delivered?

Just want to see if its really worth it or not

I have and yes I was hit with customs charges.

Can't remember how how it was though. Think it's a max of 15% for some reason.

I thought it was Vat +10%, I normally seem to pay about 20-25% of the marked price :(

do a google, says something about the value of your order. They seem to charge for a few things and its all worked out on value, weight etc. I'm thinking of doing the same, but its frustrating not knowing the actual cost :(

If you ask the seller to state on the packge slip that the contents are valued at no higher than $50, then you shouldn't need to pay import duty.

My brother has bought many items off ebay from the states and has done this several times, has yet to pay import duty.

Hope this helps

If you ask the seller to state on the packge slip that the contents are valued at no higher than $50, then you shouldn't need to pay import duty.

My brother has bought many items off ebay from the states and has done this several times, has yet to pay import duty.

Hope this helps

Something to remember if you do try to go down this route though is that the postal insurance will only be up to this value if the package is lost or damaged.

the problem, they say i may get charged even more from the british customs when the items are delivered, has anyone else ordered from the z-store.com who can give me an idea of what i may be charged when they are delivered?

Just for clarity guys..... if you buy from www.z-store.co.uk all our prices quoted will be fully inclusive of import duty and Tax. This can be a pit fall when you buy direct from the US or Japan or any other country direct. Elecious is refering to a US site and not us. :)

Folks

Ask the supplier to mark down the actual price ( keeping it realistic though ! ).

You pay Customs Duty on the value of the item + the carriage costs.

VAT is paid on the value of the item + carriage costs + Duty

eg Item valued at £100 , carriage costs £25

Typical Duty Rate of approx 4%

Duty is calculated at 4% of £125 = £5 Duty

VAT is calculated at 15% of £125 + £5 = £19.50 VAT

Total cost of item = £100 + £25 + £5 + £19.50 = £ 149.50 :thumbs:

the problem, they say i may get charged even more from the british customs when the items are delivered, has anyone else ordered from the z-store.com who can give me an idea of what i may be charged when they are delivered?

Just for clarity guys..... if you buy from http://www.z-store.co.uk all our prices quoted will be fully inclusive of import duty and Tax. This can be a pit fall when you buy direct from the US or Japan or any other country direct. Elecious is refering to a US site and not us. :)

updated OP to emphasize that its the US site so people dont get confused :thumbs:

Hope this helps

Something to remember if you do try to go down this route though is that the postal insurance will only be up to this value if the package is lost or damaged.

Be careful with this one, if you take the p*ss too much and they happen to notice the contents, both you and the US supplier will be in trouble!

Im not 100% sure what penalties are enforcable by customs, but id be guessing there would be a fine of some type as there is with all other taxes!

Hope this helps

The other thing to consider is that if its gets lost or stolen you'll only be covered for the declared amount. So if you send a $3000 set of wheels from the US and claim they are only worth $300 and they go missing, then your in deep doo doo.

Gaz

Isnt there a way that the seller can mark it as a gift? You dont pay any imprt duty on a gift and you can still mark the correct value for insurance.

Of course there is the risk that it will get questioned but even if it does what are they going to do? If you both say its a gift then its a gift!

You still pay tax on items marked as gifts if they are over a certain value :dry:

I've just paid parcelforce £24 (£8 of that was the parcel force handling fee) in charges for an item that only cost £125 :rant:

• 2 weeks later...