Custom subwoofer enclosure under rear strut bar

ms8qt

I've just had a new headunit (Alpine CDA-105Ri), proper iPod interface (Harmon Kardon Drive & Play 2), and component fronts (Genesis AudioPhile 16.03) installed which is a MASSIVE improvement but the next stage is a 4 channel amp to power the fronts properly and a sub.

Has anyone used the following custom subwoofer enclosure that fits under the rear strut bar/brace? If so, did you order it on eBay US (how much was the p&p?) or is there another way of getting it from a UK source?

Nissan 350z Custom Subwoofer Sub Box Enclosure 1x10"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250315936350

or

Nissan 350z Custom Subwoofer Sub Box Enclosure 2x10"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260307040731

I am also wondering whether the specs (see below), specifically depth and the .81 cu. ft volume are enough for a 2 x 10" install (JL Audio or Genesis subs). If not, is it really adequate for a single 10" sub?

Mounting depth - 6 7/8 in. (based on 6" magnet)

Mounting diameter - 9 1/8 in.

Total volume - .81 cu. ft.

Volume per chamber - .81 cu. ft.

Chambers - 1 (mono)

Width - 38 in.

Height - 11 1/8 in.

Bottom depth - 11 1/2 in.

Top Depth - 6 1/2 in.

Oh, and any recommendation on JL Audio vs Genesis 10" subs? My component fronts are Genesis and sound fantastic but I know JL are liked by people on here. Same question applies for the amp! :)

MANY thanks!

Mark.

Can't tell you anything about the dimensions yet, as I don't have a Z yet... :bang:

However, I do have experience with building good SQ audio systems that are still powerful enough to make your face itch... :headhurt:

Your answer will be supplied in the tech specs of whatever sub you go for. They always (in my experience) specify a required volume for best performance at a particular frequency...

Good luck with the build!

Cheers,

Doug :dance:

Right, I've just found the Genesis Audiophile 25.01 10" Subwoofer which would not only match my Genesis component fronts but their specifications state that they are designed to work in a sealed enclosure with 0.7 cu. ft. volume. OK, so the custom strut bar enclosure I'm looking to get is 0.81 cu. ft. but surely that small difference won't matter.....?

http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_product.php?partno=GENA2501

Now I need to look at what 4 channel amp to buy (to power both the Genesis fronts and this sub). Any recommendations chaps (without me spending stupid money)?

Cheers,

Mark.

I've just posted in this thread about this box and the postage fees:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23085&p=336536#p336536

I've yet to put the sub in mine (waiting for my Dual Mono amp to come back from having a service at Genesis) but I've installed the box and it's a great fit and doesn't move around whilst driving. That may change when there's a heavy sub in there but I'm sure it won't be too difficult to resolve if it does.

Personally I'd go for a single 10" sub. Partly because the box is pretty small (although CDT do some 10" SQ subs that only need 0.4 cuft) and also because you really aren't going to need more than that in two seater like the Z. That's if you want sound quality anyway. If you just want volume then go for the 2 x 12 box! :lol:

Genesis and JL gear are both great and you can't really go wrong with either. Seen as you already have the Genesis comps I'd be tempted to go for one of their subs and also this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genesis-Series-3- ... 1|294%3A50

This is a £650 amp new ( http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/genesis ... -6402.html )!

It's just been serviced by Genesis too which consists of a full test (and repair if necessary), a full repolish, new birth certificate and a brand new box and manual. Genesis have amazing customer service and will be happy to confirm that when the work was done if you email them the serial number of the amp ( http://www.genesiscaraudio.net/ ). Just get the seller to tell you the number and mail it to Genesis before you bid.

Here's the spec for that amp (ST60)

http://www.genesiscaraudio.net/amps/spec.html

Buying second hand makes a LOT of sense with car audio. You can pick up all sorts of equipment in mint condition for a fraction of what it costs new.

Thanks for the lengthy reply :)

I've gone ahead and ordered a 1x10" strut bar sub box from the US eBay seller 'zenclosures', mainly because communication with them has been excellent to-date. Like you, I was quoted $99 for delivery to the UK which is fair enough. However, I noticed that the eBay listing had the "Make Offer" option enabled so I asked him what he would accept and managed to get the enclosure for $85 instead of $100! He also said that he would offer that price to anyone else on this forum :) So, with import tax, etc I think the total cost will be around £150...result!

In terms of an amp, there was a Genesis Series 3 Four Channel amp (like the one selling at the moment) on eBay a few days ago and I managed to negotiate a deal with the seller whereby he would end the listing (there were no bids at the time) early for an all-in delivered price of £300. I received the amplifier this morning and the seller had also thrown in some nice cabling too.

Will be ordering the Genesis Audiophile 10" sub and Alpine Imprint processor (PXA-H100) from incarexpress.co.uk later today and plan to have everything fitted in a couple of weeks, once the sub box has arrived from the US.

Mark.

I too was looking at getting that sub box. But i may just make my own as i am a competent carpenter. In regards to the size, you can easily decrease the internal volume by adding some extra mdf glued inside, which will deaden it even more at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

Receive the enclosure today from 'zenclosures' on eBay US and after a £25.20 customs charge the total cost (delivered) was £144...a bargain for such a great custom fitment.

Will be getting the rest of the install done in a week so will post photos after :)

Mark.

Well I thought 2 weeks for it to arrive was average but I've not had much experience waiting for things to be shipped from the US.

In terms of fitment, it couldn't be better. You have to slot it in at a slight angle and it needs a bit of a push (not too hard though) to put it firmly in place. Once fitted it looks great and I can't wait to get the amp/sub installed on Monday.

I would STRONGLY recommend the seller as the communication was great and, as you'll read above, if you ask you can also get a slight discount on the marked price :) Exchange rate will obviously affect the overall cost but I thought £144 all-in was fantastic for such a great product...and it means I have just as much space left for my golf clubs!!!

The only small issue is that very few 10" subs are designed to work in this small volume enclosure. I'm going for the Genesis Audiophile 25.01 (£200) as it is designed for this size enclosure and will also match my front components. An engineer at JL Audio e-mailed me to say that the 10W3v3 is the only sub that would work in that box.

Mark.