Traction control problem with new alloys

jo28sx

yeah thanks, my car looked so basic and quite crap with the standard wheels on, i actually just bought those wheels cause iwas struggling to sell it as i was wanting a porsche but its totally changed the whole car so thinking about keeping it now :teeth:

You're 2% undersized on the front and 5% undersized on the back. Switch to the stock 225/45/18F and 245/45/18R and it should sort itself out nicely.

+1 ...and go slap the person who recommended those tyre sizes for you too...

+1, or shoot him with bulletmagnets gun :lol::p

To be fair, they have said on their advert exactly what tyres the wheels come with, so whilst it's a crap set of sizes and unsuitable for the car it's not like Jo didn't know what was coming (although obviously wasn't aware of the potential issues). Not picking holes, just looking at it from the other side.

Not entirely sure if there's any recourse here via distance selling regs and/or SOGA: You might have to just suck it up and consider it a lesson learnt. Would be a good idea to edit your first post with the company name, the eBay link, the sizes and everything else you can think of to aid in searches for others who may fall into the same troubles as you.

To be fair, they have said on their advert exactly what tyres the wheels come with, so whilst it's a crap set of sizes and unsuitable for the car it's not like Jo didn't know what was coming (although obviously wasn't aware of the potential issues). Not picking holes, just looking at it from the other side.

Not entirely sure if there's any recourse here via distance selling regs and/or SOGA: You might have to just suck it up and consider it a lesson learnt. Would be a good idea to edit your first post with the company name, the eBay link, the sizes and everything else you can think of to aid in searches for others who may fall into the same troubles as you.

+1 - logically, from a legal standpoint, any of the usual things you'd throw at them dont really stand as they said the sizes and delivered exactly that. They were correct that the fitment is right for the Zed, its just the tyre sizes that are wrong. And if the tyre sizes were right for the Zed, they wouldnt be right for the other cars they list I would guess. I think the only thing you can do is haggle them down as much as possible and see how much you can get the tyres discounted. Mention that you are on here (most active Z owners site in the UK) and that if they arent careful they will get lots of bad press and loose potential customers.

:thumbdown:

+1

I have a couple of ebay stores and if I had sold these I wouldn't be looking offer a refund or pay for different tyres. They have said that the WHEELS fit the zed, which they do. They have listed the dimensions of the TYRES also. Maybe the seller needs to add a disclaimer saying that the tyres specs may not be 100% ideal for all the cars listed within ther ad?

Maybe the seller needs to add a disclaimer saying that the tyres specs may not be 100% ideal for all the cars listed within ther ad?

+1, but hey i suppose as said they did list the tyres that were coming with it

Just to add my two pennies worth...

From my point of view, yes the wheel sizes are correct, but when people say that the the tyre dimensions are clearly visible I have to disagree.

Say a Nissan garage fitted the wrong set of tyres and told you what size they fitted, would you complain?

Of course you would, because you know what the correct size should be.

But, if you were unaware of the correct tyre size and the traction control issue had caused you to have an accident, what then? Who is to blame?

You for not knowing the correct tyre size, especially when you went up in wheel size?

I don't think so.

You are buying from a trader that is supposed to know what they are doing, after all they claim themselves that they have been in business for about 10 years,

it's fair to say you would trust their knowledge.

Personally, I would approach them saying that they got it wrong and it's not the first time.

Ask them if THEY are willing to take responsibility for someone, should they have an accident because of wrongly sized tyres.

Tyres are the only thing between the car and the road, so you want to know for sure you have the right stuff and be able to drive with confidence.

As a consumer I think you should complain (politely) and ask them to put it right.

Mention that trading standards may well take an interest, since this is not an isolated case.

Just to add my two pennies worth...

From my point of view, yes the wheel sizes are correct, but when people say that the the tyre dimensions are clearly visible I have to disagree.

Say a Nissan garage fitted the wrong set of tyres and told you what size they fitted, would you complain?

Of course you would, because you know what the correct size should be.

But, if you were unaware of the correct tyre size and the traction control issue had caused you to have an accident, what then? Who is to blame?

You for not knowing the correct tyre size, especially when you went up in wheel size?

I don't think so.

You are buying from a trader that is supposed to know what they are doing, after all they claim themselves that they have been in business for about 10 years,

it's fair to say you would trust their knowledge.

Personally, I would approach them saying that they got it wrong and it's not the first time.

Ask them if THEY are willing to take responsibility for someone, should they have an accident because of wrongly sized tyres.

Tyres are the only thing between the car and the road, so you want to know for sure you have the right stuff and be able to drive with confidence.

As a consumer I think you should complain (politely) and ask them to put it right.

Mention that trading standards may well take an interest, since this is not an isolated case.

Hence why I said I think they need a disclaimer to say that the tyre specs may not be ideal for all of the cars listed within the ad. There is no way that the tyres provided will be suitable for every car they list.

While I agree about Nissan, BM, what you have to remember is they would know it was going on a Zed. So they would know what the application was going to be. Did the seller know what car these were going on? If they did, then that is bad of them, but they seem to beleive that they are the right sizes. The seller, although not the best, has advertised exactly what they were selling. Thats the problem with eBay, while although cheaper than other places, you dont get the confidence of the sale and you have to know exactly what you are after.

I would though, approach them and try and guilt trip them into it. As you say, mention that it could be dangerous and may cause an accident as it is outside of spec. Might be able to get them to meet in the middle.

The eBay listing advertises the following:

18" INOVIT SPARKLE ALLOY WHEELS NISSAN 350Z + TYRES

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D2

It clearly states a specific vehicle, so as a buyer you would think that the tyre sizes would be correct.

They don't help themselves by saying they have 10 years experience in the business, because then they should know better.

It also puts doubts in your mind whether they have been doing stuff wrong for 10 years.

In the end I'd like to help both parties involved.

I'd like to see the OP get the right tyres for his wheels and I want to help DP Motorsport from future errors and embarrasment.

I don't want them to go down, but just make sure nobody else has to face the same problem.

I'm sure DP Motorsport rather not have this kind of hassle.

The eBay listing advertises the following:

18" INOVIT SPARKLE ALLOY WHEELS NISSAN 350Z + TYRES

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... %26otn%3D2

Oops :blush:

I never looked at the title before, just saw the list of cars the wheels fit. In which case, then yes they are in the wrong as they are the wrong tyres for the car. They even say that "SOME CARS LISTED ABOVE MAY TAKE A SLIGHT TYRE SIZE" (change?) so they know that other cars would need different tyres. In which case I would say they are completely wrong, listing it with the incorrect tyres, and a potential buyer as you say, would not know any better as they are listed for the specific car. Legally, the items recieved were those that were listed, but I would say they are not fit for purpose. Dont know if that means they have to fix it or what though. Best bet is still to push them and say they are getting very bad press on here and will damage their business, especially as I will tell my mates in MLR not to use them etc. Word passes around the car club world very quickly. ;)