Help - In France!

Andrew

Hi folks, i am currently in France and a problem has hit. When i am driving slowly say 20-30 mph there is quite a 'loud' noise - the best i can describe is a 'wearing/light grinding' sound. When i accelerate it goes.

When i brake it gets louder (or seems to). My gut feeling is that the brakes need replaced. If so, how come the sound is there at low speeds when i am not pressing the brake? Would you expect that?

On one or two occasions the sound hasn't been there at all.

The car doesn't seem to be mechanically affected in terms of accelerating/braking/handling but it sure doesn't sound great at low speed to me.

Anyone experiened this/any ideas?

Thanks Andrew

[crossposted from the other site]

What year car have you got? This sounds to me suspiciously like the uneven tyre wear "cupping"/"featherering" problem (not actually either of those in reality as far as I understand what cupping and feathering really is, but that's the closest proper name, and what it's referred to as in most websites.) Anyway, :(

A description of one guys experience:

"How do you know if you have this problem? In my case, I noticed very loud road noise at low speeds, somewhere between 20 and 30 mph. This noise started some time ago but it gradual got worse to the point that I decided it was time to investigate. By this time, I had 5000 miles on the vehicle. The road noise sounds like a grinding roar and is predominant at low speeds. By the time you reach 50 mph, it is inaudible. There was no pull to one side or the other. There was no thumping, just a cyclic roar. At first I thought it was a wheel bearing going out. As I inspected the tire, I ran my hand over the tread and felt the abnormal tire wear as described above."

See e.g. here:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread. ... adid=15758

http://www.nissantireproblems.com/resources.html

http://www.lasercannon.com/Newz/feathering.htm

Some other sites/people have also mentioned that it appears worse when braking, which also fits with your description. Anyway, there are technical service bulletins about this problem, so you should be able to get it sorted under warranty... with a bit of luck... The good news is it, as you say, does not affect the handling or safety of the car, however, the noise and tyre wear is just damn annoying. (Or so people say...)

Hope this helps (and hope I'm wrong and that your problem is rather more trivial!) :(

Could you be low on brake pads, dont know about the Zed but my Audi has noise strips to make you change the pads with a saftey limit, but you can still drive,

exactly what I was thinking guys.....

the tyre feathering noise is notthing to do with "grinding noise" it's more of a rumbling noise at low speeds.

In fact, I have pics of what could cause your noise, ie wear indicator on the brembo brake pads.... the top pad is the oem brembo pad. can you see the metal part sticking out on the bottom left corner? that's the wear indicator, which makes a grinding noise when you come to end of your pads's life :D

Yep does sound like our pads... if you say it's stopped making the noise then you've probably snapped the wear indicator off that Val's on about...

Tell us your mileage, high miles pads, low miles something completely different imo...

defo agree that its pads and not tyres. Tyre feathering / cupping problem sounds like a bad bearing problem, it's more of a whiring sound where its frequency increases with speed. Its actully alot more audiable from inside to than outside. Wind down the window to see if you can hear the noise outside. If you can it will be the brakes.

Thanks a lot folks for all this advice. Much appreciated. Sorry for the delay in responding. The car is a 2003 model. I do have the Bridgestone Potenza KZs right enough. I have examined the front tyres. I'm still not an expert on the 'feathering' phenomena but from what i can see it does look like the edge at least has a very slight 'ragged' look to them even though the tread depths appear ok.

I checked all the tyre pressures and they appeared to all be below the 2.4 bar printed on the inside of the door. When i pumped them up a bit, the problem seemed to reduce ever so slightly.

From what you guys are saying this is probably it but it could be brakes. That's fine - i am much more reassured thanks. I had just never heard a noise like that on any car (!) before.

Thanks a lot guys, i'll keep you posted.

I might as well ask - what tyres will put the feathering problem to bed? Michelins? / anything other than the KZs? Or is it more an alignment problem?

Thanks

Andrew

to feel for cupping you run your hand along the circumfernce of the tyre. You should be able to fell the thread go up and down (like a tractor tyre). It's the up and down parts in the blocks of the tread that causes the noise.

to feel for cupping you run your hand along the circumfernce of the tyre. You should be able to fell the thread go up and down (like a tractor tyre). It's the up and down parts in the blocks of the tread that causes the noise.

Cupping LOL, what a lovely term :D:D:D