Aerial Help W London Please

drbrunel

Long story but for some reason my aerial snapped off whilst i was driving with the end of the bolt stuck in the base of the aerial unit. I basically need a new base so that I can screw the new aerial in but NIssan are asking £100 in labour because they have to take the pannelling off from the inside to replace the base of the aerial.

Seems a bit much for me. Anyone done this before and is it something difficult to do?

Cheers

thats exactly the problem. Do you mean drilling into it and then re-threading it?

I know there is a tool you can get which allows you to drill a small whole then you screw this thing in and remove the original piece that was stuck in. Have no idea what the tool is called though

Already have a new aerial good to go. Nissan wants the £100 just for the labour!

lol! im in west hampstead London

Do you think its literally a matter of drilling into it to sort it out then. Im guessing that will be with a hand drill whill will be difficult to keep straight and knowing my luck it will slip and ill scratch the paintwork to @*!#!! :scare:

i think the too lyour refering too is a stud extractor.

easiest methd is to drill out the original, the whole has to be smaller than the original thread. and then use a tap to retap a new thread (lclean out the old thread) ready to screw the new ariel back in.

if your worried about paint work just mask up a load of towels around where your working to give you a protective boundary.

Can you get a pic of it? Sounds like its just a stub of the screw stuck in there? There are a few ways to remove it, will be easier to describe if we have pics. A stud extractor will work, or another basic method is to drill a hole in it, and bang a slighly larger hex key into it. When that jams you should be able to undo it with the allen key. Will likely kill the allen key but hey cheaper than Nissan! Another option is to use a dremel and cut a slit in the top then use a flat blade screw driver to undo it :thumbs:

You guys all inspired me to give it a go!

So...with the use of a chissel and a screw driver (dont ask!) I managed to get the stud out of the hole without damaging the thread. New aerial is in!

Yet another reason for using this forum and being a member

Thanks again for everyones help!

Glad ya got it all sorted bud :thumbs:

+1 where theres a will theres a way :thumbs:

Had Nissan seen it when they said you need a new base? Or did you describe it over the phone? Any compentant mechanic should have been able to get it out. Hope they werent just after more money :rant:

Good question. I showed him the unit and when I actually asked him can I drill it out he actually laughed at me which pi**ed me seriously off!

Now I laugh at him cos the £100 that he wanted will now be spent on something slightly more rewarding for myself!

Thanks again