ECU adjusting out the power

paddy0d

Just wondered if anybody can explain why on the 350z if you get some kind of engine breathing upgrade, like an exhuast or induction system improvements the ECU seems to back out the power?

Does it have a max value on the MAF and it keeps backing it down until it's achieved?

Thanks

The whole ECU thing has many topics on it. Not sure if it's even been explained properly.

Try searching on here and on My350Z and 350z-tech.....

That way you should get the answer. No promises though!

From the many many things I have read, it basically has a window of parameters it can handle. Be it airflow or whatever. Its supposidly designed to aim for a certain range at any given time. So add some breathing mods, and it will allow the extra flow to be used upto the ceiling of its parameters. Once there you wont get any more power without remapping the ECU or getting a piggyback ECU.

According to the tuners and experts in the States and Adam at Z1 (who knows his stuff) say exhausts (primarily true duals) do have dyno proven gains of up to 15 whp and equal torque increase at the wheels without any ecu tune and that it's a myth going round forums that no modifications make any difference (apart from a plenum spacer) without an ecu tune. Adam will be able to confirm more I'm sure. I'm after an exhaust primarily for the noise though - any power increase is a bonus.

true duals or singles with Y pipes produce nearly exactly the same gains as one another

the stock ecu does not cancel out gains unless fuel trims are out of spec. Yes the stock MAF does have a limit to it, but you won't achieve that with merely and intake and exhaust on most cars

As with any modern car, the stock ecu is just restrictive - there is power to be had, and tuning helps to unleash it. There is a limited gain to be reasonably expected without tuning - tuning is what ties in all your mods together to optimize them