sub-woofer?

jeffr

have you got an aftermarket HU in the car? As I dont think the stock one has a sub out..... You will also need an amp to power the sub, and the power cable will need to run from the battery, through the firewall and into the amp...

The compartment will have the bracket to receive, but it may need a MDF ring making up to make the sub fit nice and tight...

TBH I think the non bose car is better/easier to upgrade if you are looking to add subs etc as there are no digital amps. Just get yourself a decent Head Unit and run an amp etc as 3FIDDY says.

+1 on the MDF as the plastic is pretty flimsy. The bose car has metal under the panel to mount the sub but im pretty sure the non bose doesnt.

TBH I think the non bose car is better/easier to upgrade if you are looking to add subs etc as there are no digital amps. Just get yourself a decent Head Unit and run an amp etc as 3FIDDY says.

+1 on the MDF as the plastic is pretty flimsy. The bose car has metal under the panel to mount the sub but im pretty sure the non bose doesnt.

Non bose on a UK car does ;)

Non bose on a UK car does ;)

I stand corrected :bangin:

Only other issue is the space behind the seat isn't actually big enough to mount most half decent subs or anywhere near well enough sealed....

Its certainly a very tight squeeze but it is just about do-able... :teeth:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Very nice i may have to do the same

Looks like your still using the factory rear speakers :surrender:

rear speakers? insanity! :lol: No i never have rears in my cars, if i go to a concert i face the stage, same with my car stereo systems :teeth:

Like I said, decent sub (so discount any free air sub!) and the space is only just about OK for one or two. But generally, it's a lot of effort and the sound isn't all that rewarding. :)

Like I said, decent sub (so discount any free air sub!) and the space is only just about OK for one or two. But generally, it's a lot of effort and the sound isn't all that rewarding. :)

I'd also be worried about the effect it would have on my interior. I'd be expecting some serious rattles after a while, although an MDF baffle would help somewhat. I have wondered if the reason the Bose sub is so feeble is that Nissan didn't want a load of angry owners complaining their interiors were rattling apart after 6 months.

Personally I'm going for one like this:

http://www.zenclosures.com/Nissan_350Z_ ... p/z110.htm

The great thing is it serves the function of hiding the contents of the boot too. :)

They also do them in 12", dual 10" and dual 12". Lots of guys in the US have them and seem to be very happy and Mike seems to have a good reputation for customer service. He trades on ebay too if you want the extra buyer protection that offers. He also sells 350z MDF speaker rings which is handy if you're upgrading the front speakers as well.

Ok, so I'm not going to win any install/sound awards but this is how I've installed my Sub

IMG_0071.jpg

It wedges perfectly under the rear strut brace and is hidden from view so is perfect for me.

Reduces the boot capacity but I don't do any shopping in my Zed so makes no difference.

They even quote - 'it can now fit a JL Audio 10W3v3' but it ain't quite big enough volume wise ideally. Still, it'd sound a lot better than the BOSE and about 90% of other subs out there. :)

As for rattles, that's part of the ICE dilemma and why really the whole interior should come out and then put back together with sound proofing / padding where needs be. And / or get a sub so loud you can't hear the rattles!!! :band::teeth:

Only other issue is the space behind the seat isn't actually big enough to mount most half decent subs or anywhere near well enough sealed....

Its certainly a very tight squeeze but it is just about do-able... :teeth:

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Hi KTA,

just wondered what size sub you have there, hard to tell from the pics, is it a 10"? I like the idea of keeping it all stealth B)

There is actually quite a lot of space back there - a good 2+ ft3 which is enough for many 10" subs. The big problem as you say to is its not sealed - its NO where near sealed there are lots and lots of holes all over it. Its possible to seal it up but its hard work.

There is actually quite a lot of space back there - a good 2+ ft3 which is enough for many 10" subs. The big problem as you say to is its not sealed - its NO where near sealed there are lots and lots of holes all over it. Its possible to seal it up but its hard work.

The issue is the rear of the sub taking up volume, something often forgotten when building sub boxes. Therefore, that bit more space is needed :) In order to get a good sealed box in there you also lose some of the nooks and crannys. It can be done, but for the effort, you could get better sound mounting elsewhere IMO.