After years of saying "i'll do it", i've done it!

kObi

Yep, after years of saying i'll do my bike test i've finally made a start and have my CBT this saturday coming! pretty damn excited! just with this good weather kicking in and the amount of bikes that fly by, i just couldn't resist anymore. So fingers crossed i'll have my full bike license by the end of may.

Any of you folks got any motorbikes? if so get some pics up!

Stewart at Perth MCs supplied mine.

He was a pleasure to deal with.

You looking at the 09? It's big bucks £8k I think. If you aren't a snob, buy last years model - looks the same as mine (but you won't get orange) and you'll get it for a good price. My neighbour (not Ducatti neighbour) liked mine so bought a blue 08 ninja new for £5.5k. 0% finance.

The benefit of buying a new bike when you pass is the run in period. You have to take it easy so it gets you used to riding (with an excuse for not thrashing out your comfort zone) and building up slowly.

Starter bike. Well I'm still a beginner so can't say really, it does the job for me. It depends what you want though. If you want a really sporty bike then it's a good starter. If you are commuting then I'd look at something more upright perhaps.

As for speed.... well it's plenty quick for a beginner. Hold your breath quick...... but it's all about twisting the right wrist.

So many people say - I'd kill myself in 5 mins..... maybe they would but I doubt it.

no no thats exactly what my mates saying get an 08 one. think his friend knows the guy too so maybe a wee discount too. wouldnt hold my breath though. but 5.5k is an amazing price! what about insurance, cost alot for you?

no no thats exactly what my mates saying get an 08 one. think his friend knows the guy too so maybe a wee discount too. wouldnt hold my breath though. but 5.5k is an amazing price! what about insurance, cost alot for you?

I never got any discount but they delivered it for free to Aberdeen a week before I passed my test.

I bought it at 25. 0 no claims, new license and it was under 500..... think it was 490. Just renewed and it was 320 with 1 years ncb. £48 road tax too!

I don't think it's bad. That was with ebike insurance.

ah thats good then! my mate was saying he was about the same price too for that, also thats excellent they delivered it too! dunno if i'd get mine that quick, maybe june way. theres a bike that kicks about down here, awesome paintjob on it

015.jpg

Just make sure you do the CBT then go on and get your full license in time.

I did my CBT a few years ago, had a bike (only a 125) for about a year, loved it had great fun then got a car. Checked recently and my CBT has now expired!

So when I do my full license I have to do my CBT again. :thumbdown:

Just make sure you do the CBT then go on and get your full license in time.

I did my CBT a few years ago, had a bike (only a 125) for about a year, loved it had great fun then got a car. Checked recently and my CBT has now expired!

So when I do my full license I have to do my CBT again. :thumbdown:

CBT is valid for 2 years I believe before needing redone.

I'm a biker,

had a fantastic run yesterday,

Glasgow to arrochar, to inverary, to tyndrum, to callendar, to dukes pass then home.

Haven't had that good a run in a while,

think i overtook about 20bikes overall (a few twice after we had pulled in)

had an idiot who went round corners at 10mph then on the straight opened it up, vfr800 is fast on the straight.

so had to overtake him on a nice wee bend (i was in the correct position to see round the whole bend for on coming traffic)

I have learnt that i hate open country roads that are good in a car, and prefer the more technical twisty parts.

had a new biker on the same bike as me (he illigally unrestricted it) and he thought "same bike, same power, i'll keep up no problems" When i pulled in at the end of Dukes pass, i waited 20mins for him to arrive ha :lol::lol:

Anyway, just remeber what ever bike you get, it will only go as fast as you let it!

Adam (will get photos up later as all the ones i have are out of date)

a turbo r1 can go at 10mph if you let it,

it doesnt automatically go to 200mph (i don't think anyway)

just doing some touch ups to bar ends and bolts today then hopefully a clean later on!

Adam

True True, although theres some bikes I'd be terrified to have anything to do with!

Ever see this concept from a few years ago? (The most ridiculous thing Ive ever seen)

: http://www.diseno-art.com/encyclopedia/ ... ahawk.html

Dodge Viper engine in a Bike = Instant Death at 300mph :scare:

Used to have bikes, sv650, gsxr600, z750, 954 blade, did a few trackdays and the ring and rode them everyday, about 13k a year. Had a big crash on the blade in 2007, came off at about 95 after hitting catseyes on a straight bit of road and bike went into a massive tank slapper and threw me off, was on the wrong side of the road for about 100 yards and was very lucky as was uninjured except for broken ribs and collar bone. Missus won't even comprehend me having another one (can't blame her). Anyhoo, they are mint, the most fun you will have, but be careful they can be a handful, treat everyone as a total bike hating lunatic, don't cut corners and get on a track asap.

Ouch sorry to hear that tim, thankfully your ok! Thanks for the tips though! never even thought about what would happen if i went over the catseyes. My boss was telling me about counter steering? im sure its easier than how he described it lol.

Adam get thos pics up! haha. thats what im lookin forward doing, just jumping on the bike and going somewhere for a long drive.

Ouch sorry to hear that tim, thankfully your ok! Thanks for the tips though! never even thought about what would happen if i went over the catseyes. My boss was telling me about counter steering? im sure its easier than how he described it lol.

Adam get thos pics up! haha. thats what im lookin forward doing, just jumping on the bike and going somewhere for a long drive.

Advanced riding class is the key.

I need to do one. I've been out with very experienced (and patient) riders to teach me stuff but I'll be doing advanced road training with a guy up here that used to teach all the police riders etc. When he's not doing that he's an 'expert witness' that rubbishes speed cameras and pulls apart traffic cops in court. All in all a decent guy and handy to know! :lol:

I agree with stew, Advanced riding is helpful.

I have done the Bike safe event with the police and done the IAM training, just not done the test yet (due to having a major argument with the iam advisor person)

it has also made my car driving a lot better cause you look at the lines and corners in a more technical way, which helps you get the best speed round them.

Adam

I've got a bike.....Kwacks are most definitely the way forward if you're a thrill seeker. (Nice zx above by the way, love the colour :throb:)

Image233.jpg

Absolutely awesome. :yahoo:

Best thing i've ever done to be honest. Need to be a tad careful with the throttle application though! I would highly recommend anyone that is interested in fast cars to do their test - bikes will certainly show you that cars are not REALLY that fast at all. £5k will get you going quicker than a Ferrari with 10 times the thrills.....provided you don't crash, of course :blackeye: (touches wood) and you will find it a LOT easier to get a :ban: (touches wood again!) but other than those 2 little (ok, major) things that could go wrong you will certainly not regret it. :thumbs:

Chris