Anyone else had rear brake pads wear out premature

Dave_McC

Took my Z in for its first MoT today - it's about to run out of warranty as well and I recently noticed a rubbing noise from nearside rear so asked for that to be checked at the same time. Car has done only 32k miles.

When I went to collect it, was told it had failed the MoT due to the rear brakes - the nearside inner rear pad had worn through to the metal and wrecked the disk. Service guy suggested the sliding caliper had probably stuck.

I've said I'll be looking for a contribution from Nissan as this shouldn't happen at such a low mileage on a car serviced by the same dealer at the right intervals. Response was they won't know cause til they strip down tomorrow - they didn't have rear disks in stock so had to order them in - but if it's dirt / muck which has caused the caliper to stick then warranty won't pay.

Has anyone else had this problem - and any luck claiming under warranty?

Thanks

Dave

Had a sticking caliper on an old bmw once... used to eat rear pads every 3 months! But the pads were only 12quid for a pair so it was cheaper to replace them then replace the caliper.

As for you - i dont know the answer to your problem, but if warranty wont fix it AND you've almost run out of warranty, wouldn't it be substantially cheaper to not get the parts from Nissan and get them fitted elsewhere??

Service guy suggested the sliding caliper had probably stuck.

I've said I'll be looking for a contribution from Nissan as this shouldn't happen at such a low mileage on a car serviced by the same dealer at the right intervals. Response was they won't know cause til they strip down tomorrow - they didn't have rear disks in stock so had to order them in - but if it's dirt / muck which has caused the caliper to stick then warranty won't pay.

If it's a UK spec car (and I presume it is since you're talking warranties) your service guy doesn't know what he's talking about as the calipers are opposed piston i.e. non sliding.

Having said that 32K is fair mileage for the rears and one side (inner/outer) will always wear more than the other. Also, as wear on the rears can't be checked without removing the wheels I can imagine it might be missed at service time by a less diligent garage.

Given that both pads and discs are service items I wouldn't imagine you'd have any luck claiming on the warranty. Assuming the caliper itself isn't damaged you could try for some goodwill from the garage if it's the same one that's been servicing the car?

Think I'm stuffed on taking it elsewhere - because it failed the MoT the garage have said I can't drive the car away - given the noise the brakes were making when I took it in I'm not overly surprised at that.

The outer rear pad still seemed to have quite a bit of meat on it when I looked last weekend - so the pads would seem to have worn very unevenly, which seems odd if it's not a sliding caliper - unless the inner piston was sticking.

They've said the front pads are also pretty low - are going to check tomorrow whether they'll last til next service (4k miles off) - but from other threads I've just searched I think I'll do them myself with aftermarket pads.

Dave

Exactly as Tim has said:

The inner pad on the rear always wears down faster than the outside one and can not be viewed until the wheel is removed.

At the mileage stated, this is not premature wearing, just normal wear and tear but should have been reported at time of service.

The Dealer brake components are very expensive, but the car drove into the garage so it can drive out which would give you a bit of breathing space to source alternative parts and perhaps I can help you there as I have all the parts for the front and rear that you require at a fraction of Nissan prices.

Do not let them bully you into them fixing your car as the the choice is yours.

Just tell them to reasemble the car and return it to the condition that it was in when you brought it in.

Let me know if I can help. :thumbs:

Alex.

I changed my rare pads today having noticed the noise few days ago. As the noise started to appear (passenger side rear wheel) I had a look at the pads and the outer ones had lots of meat on them so I presumed the inner ones are completely worn. I have to say that from the beginning of this I didnt push the Zed hard and always used engine braking to off load the discs and pads to prevent what happened to you.

my local garage quoted £20 (F1 autocentre/good bunch of lads)for fitting and I did get my hands dirty as well which was good. the inner pads were down to the metal as well on both sides.

I also have to agree with alex that the dealer is trying to bully you to get the parts sourced by them. I had a similar experience with nissan basildon when my wipers stopped working and the car failed the MOT. they told me I cant drive the car, my response was f*** off and get the car off the ramp then I drove off straight away only to find it was a fuse issue which I sorted my self.

take your car out of that garage and get the parts sourced by one of the traders off here and do it you self or get some one to do it for you.