How long to fit a 5/16" plenum spacer

matth76

Hi

I'm getting a garage to fit a 5/16" Motordyne plenum spacer to my car. I would do it myself but have heard horror stories on here where diy jobs have gone wrong due to the bolts being too tight (and I do not have anything more than a spanner - no special tools). Anyway what is the longest time it would take for a spacer to be fitted (I know the strut bar needs removing first and then the cover) - an hour, two hours?

Does anyone know the cheapest price to get a 5/16" Motordyne plenum spacer - I believe they are $200 but then there's the shipping?

Thanks for any info.

Call Envy, they have them in stock so no tax costs. Where are you based? If its in the south then get to envy and am sure they will help you with fitting. Also helps in finding out about the car and what does what and where when you fit it yourself!

Fitting should be between an hour and 2 hours. We did one at a car show last year, no special tools, spanners only.... The only think you may need is a torque wrench but you can do the "tighten with a gloved hand" approach...

Thanks guys and thanks 3Fiddyz about Envy. I'm getting it fitted by GTart who are just up my road. However if I can get the part myself from someone in the UK already that will save a bit of money. Just found Envy's website. Thanks for the help.

I emailed Motordyne direct a couple of weeks ago and they were very quick to reply and helpful. They said there is a gain of around 10-15 hp (at the wheels) which must be approx 15-20 bhp at the fly and no ecu reset is required for the 5/16". To all those that have fitted this spacer - do the gains seem realistic and is it immediately noticable the first time you drive the car or does it take quite a few miles for the ecu to adjust?

Does this improve torque aswell?

How much to they sell for? As there are no prices on Envy's website?

Thanks.

I found this http://www.z-store.co.uk/index.cfm?fuse ... rentCat=28 on their website. £220 total price inc vat. Not sure how much shipping is. I think there is an equal 10-12 lbs/ft torque increase at the wheels but again these are the "advertised" claims. I'd be interested to know how the car behaves on the road from people who have had this modification and how noticable it is after having had it fitted as 10-15 wheel hp should be quite noticable.

I too would be very interested in peoples opinions on how this mod improves the car.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but i read everywhere that the ecu adapts to modifications so that you cannot get any more power without piggybacking or changing the ecu totally. Why is this mod any different??? :wacko:

Don't think the increases in power are peak power mate, but I could definately feel more midrange pull as soon as it was fitted. I had mine fitted at ESR and it look around an hour IIRC, but they did them day in day out. No more than 2 hours max.

I had 7 more horses after fitting this, it went up from 273 to 280bhp. Used a different company for the second rolling road session so this isn't conclusive. I'm very sceptical about the accuracy of dyno's anyway, no 2 will ever give the same results. In fact my first rolling road gave a torque figure of 252 lbft and this one was down to 240 lbft. Maybe the Fujitsbo exhaust and HKS sports cats have caused the reduction in torque, who knows :wacko: Not worried though, can't feel the difference, and the sound more than makes up for it. :thumbs::teeth:

Thanks guys and thanks 3Fiddyz about Envy. I'm getting it fitted by GTart who are just up my road. However if I can get the part myself from someone in the UK already that will save a bit of money. Just found Envy's website. Thanks for the help.

On buying, PM Chilli Red on here... there now looking after Envy or call Sarah on 07765406665

Careful Gary will take about 10 hours to fit it and probably blow your engine in the process.....

On buying, PM Chilli Red on here... there now looking after Envy or call Sarah on 07765406665

Careful Gary will take about 10 hours to fit it and probably blow your engine in the process.....

That was a joke BTW! Gary is a top bloke and knows what hes doing under the hood of a jap car :thumbs: shouldnt take him too long!!

I would say a trained mechanic can do it in about an hr. When I got mine done at ESR, they had mine done in the time it took for a quick trip around their new premesis and a cup of tea. Sersiouly, they were that quick!

For power, I dont think it will make any more top end. It just frees up more mid range torque. Its noticeable, but not how most expect. If you hoof it off the line, you will notice no difference as top end power will be near as damnit the same. Mid range cruising and in gear acceleration will be noticeable though. At least it was for me. Dont know for sure as I didnt have it dyno'd before or any time soon after.

Possibly one of the most talked about things on here, heaps of posts on the plenum spacer. There is an idiot proof video on you tube aswell, its really not worth handing over your hard earned cash to a garage to do, its very straight forward, specially with the guides/video.

Possibly one of the most talked about things on here, heaps of posts on the plenum spacer. There is an idiot proof video on you tube aswell, its really not worth handing over your hard earned cash to a garage to do, its very straight forward, specially with the guides/video.

From my understanding of the plenum spacer, it doesnt get cancelled out by the ECU. It opens the plenum chamber allowing more air in the otherwise cramped front two chambers, providing more torque and better response in the mid rev range, therefore you may not gain those magical horses but there is an improvement.

The ECU cancelling isnt a myth, pretty much comes up here daily, just not enough people have dyno'd before and after, on the same dyno, under same conditions etc etc to prove it on paper.

Right then....who's going to volunteer?? ;)

For what? :blush:

The plenum spacer as ab350z is not cancelled out as such as its doing something that has no effect on the variables that the ECU controls. It simple redistributes air more evenly to the front two cylinders as stock they are slightly starved. This means you get a better AFR in those cylinders and as such you get a bit more power/torque.

From what I have read on the internet (via pretty reliable sources), the engine will try and keep the performance of the car within a specified limit. It runs as if no mods are there, so if it gets more flow (intake exahust etc), it will try to tune it out and get you back to stock.

Taken from the Technosquare website:

Current Nissan ECUs come with VERY sophisticated engine control functions, such as a constant O2 sensor feed back system and torque management by an electronic throttle control system. In another words, the ECU has complete control of the engine, not you. When it comes to performance modification and driving, these systems will get in your way, as the factory ECU is set to work best with the stock configuration of the vehicle and ordinary drivers.

When you start modifying your Nissan, you will find it very difficult to gain output by just adding performance parts. In some cases, you even lose some power and torque. Since the ECU is unable to automatically detect the modifications you made to your engine, it will still try to work within the parameters set for stock condition.

Even if you push the gas pedal to floor, it doesn't mean your throttle is opening 100%.

Nissan sets the throttle characteristic for various particulars, such as torque management for drivability, or Venturi effect for faster induction and more. This is fine for the average Joe content to run his car stock, but a lot of enthusiastic drivers find it very annoying.

Are they normally quite hard to fit and are leaks possible unless done absolutely spot on? I've heard cases of the bolts coming loose. How does the car feel on the road - has anyone reported slight sluggishness low down the rev range after fitting one?

Hi all,

Sorry to butt in the thread half way through, but I'm quite interested in knowing more about plenum spacers. Does anyone know why Nissan didn't simply design the engine to distribute air evenly to the front cylinders in the first place? Is there any effect on mpg with a plenum spacer fitted?

Sorry if I should have started my own thread with these questions.

Cheers,

Sleechy