DBA slotted disks... you thought were the sh*t :)

Removed

not me, that's for sure :) I guess people should be quite careful on what they recommend and make bold statements that are not really supported by any hard evidence. I say go with what you think is best for your car and especially considering what use you actually make of it in the first place, but no need to preach inaccurate information :)

I'm sure you'll do, soner or later. ;)

I can't help but think all those supercar manufacturers with drilled disks have equipped their superfast machines with disks that would crack if used on a track.

So, drilled or slotted? or drIlled AND slotted? I just say any of these 3 types can end up cracked, and there's no evidence that one type more than another one is more prone to cracking under extreme conditions. Now the fact that specific manufacturers do or do not recommend their disks for a specific application doesn't allow for saying that ALL those types, from other manufacturers need to abide by those rules ;)

Ok my penworth....

If I am looking for a strong item that has ventilation then I would look for specific characteristics.

Round windows on a boats hull, round windows on the space shuttle and round windows on deep sea pressure vessels. This indicates to me round holes have to be "stronger" in the stress bits than square or slots.

Surely following this then the drilled disks would be far stronger than the slotted disks, although sure the increase in leading edges from having slots in the face would improve the breaking forces surely for strength and reliable ventilation the holes would be better.

OK flame me I am immortal anyway.......

• 7 months later...

OK my opinion and query

Rounds ALWAYS distibute the stress applied to that hole evenly. Sharp corners are always stress concentrators, so a groove probably is rounded at the bottom but where it meets the top surface will have a corner.

I guess in principle even drilled holes should have radius edges to prevent stress concentrations in the top surface, but that is more expensive and maybe the cheaper disks will not consider this.

Also bare this in mind, drill and slot means you actually reduce the effective friction surface, so yes, you are going to allow gas to escape and prevent overheating, but at the same time by having less effective surfaces (because of all the holes and slots etc), aren't you going to require more energy (i.e heat) to have the similar braking effect. ?

Then there is the issue of heat cycling and distortion, and judder, due to extra heat input, lower amount of metal, etc...but all this gets into areas where I am a complete novice and would not even dream to comment...

captain sensible says keep as much friction surface as you can...

Ive seen this pic before quite a while back...if memory serves me right i believe the crack was down to the slot being incorrectly cut. I believe it was that the slot should not go near to the edge of the disk and as you can see from the picture it deos on two accounts - the small slot goes to the top outer edge of the disc and the larger slot goes into the inner red bit.

TheMinel - where did you get the picture from?

Might be worth putting into perspective that this is only 1 disc that has cracked. How many others do we know that have gone???? component failure can happen in any brand/type of disc, this one just happens to be a DBA. Unless it was something that was common place, I wouldnt let it put me off buying them.

My AP discs are slotted, no problems with cracking.

Loads of people with DBA's with no problems.;)