Funny grinding noise

ANDYB350Z

Hi fellas

I not so long ago burnt out my clutch coming down the M58 just outside of liverpool, after been towed home and a painful 2 week delivery wait i had a stage 3 clutch and flyhweel kit sent from the US.

However since having it fitted, when acceletrating, under 1500 rpm i have a horrible grinding / shuddeering noise coming from the car, not sure if its a gearbox or clutch issue, a mechanic thinks its the prop shaft but im not too convinced !

anyone ever had and similar issues or ideas what it could be, i really have no idea where to start ?

I added a stage 3 clutch and flywheel

I found this post (below) on another forum and its identical to mine

hi guys,

i've searched on the forum and noticed that changing the clutch + flywheel will make the car more noisy, but i'm not convinced that the sound coming from my car is "normal". It's a carbon twin plate by exedy (whole clutch set with lighweight flywheel + cover). Steel braided clutch hose, and a new throwout bearing (genuine nissan).

Anyway, here are the symptoms:

1. Rattling at idle - sounds like gearbox chatter (with clutch pedal NOT depressed)

2. Noise that sounds like metal plates rubbing and spinning against each other (with clutch pedal depressed)

3. Shuddering (?normal) but rattling when it shudders (?gearbox)

4. Loud rattling at low rpms in all gears until around 2100rpm where it just dissappears. Seems worst in 5th gear. Seriously seriously loud, vibrates throught the cabin. Worse with more throttle, esp between 2000-2100 rpm. This is my main concern.

5. Rattling also occurs at high rpms with spirited driving - like 6000+

Other history

When i had the stock clutch, there was also some rattling, but more subtle, not reproducible all the time. The stock clutch also shuddered quiet badly, compared to other 350zs that i had driven. That is why i changed the clutch, but instead, the rattling is now darn loud and always there. Shuddering unchanged.

MY gut impression is that the gearbox is faulty... ?loose bearing or something? Took it to nissan several times and they keep thinking it's the aftermarket clutch. I've booked the car to go in a couple of weeks, but they said if they find that it's the clutch that's caused the problem, i will have to pay for all the labour and parts (which of course is what i'm trying to avoid).

Does anyone have any idea what the diagnosis is? And whay i should do? Thanks in advance.

If you have swopped out your OEM dual mass fly for a single mass alumium lightened fly then this may well be your problem but impossible to diagnose without personally driving the car.

If the fly has not been fitted properly then vibrations through the cabin will result.

Also in some instances the vibrations may occur if the clutch kit and fly are out of balance or if there is excessive flywheel run-out which is evidence of improper fit.

Aluminium expands at twice the rate of steel so precission installation is imperative.

The alumium fly has to go on tighter at ambient temperatures for a proper tight fit at running temperatures.

The alumium flywheel to crankshaft fit may vary from interference to slip.

Replacing OEM dual mass flywheels with single mass will also result in added gearbox noise from the idler gears.

The above are just a few examples of issues once clutch and flywheels are upgraded and is not exhaustive.

Also stage 3 clutches also do tend to thrash and chatter quite a bit.

Any experienced competent 350Z technician should be capable of accurately diagnosing your issues with a short test drive, without having to strip out your transmission and clutch.

Alex.

Took it to nissan yesterday, i assumed they would be able to tell me, they charged me 65+vat to look at it, the technician basically didnt stipr the car and assumed it was a bearing in the gearbox and quoted me 775 to strip and replace it, but eventhen he admited he could not guarentee this was the problem !

CRAP !

I dont know anyone else to ask !!!! any 350z genius reccomendation ?