Engine bay tidy UPDATE HOME POLISHED PLENUM

scottsoulby

hi guys, thought i would join the gang and spruce up the engine bay..

its not finished as yet, need to finish off the spraying, to get it shiney but will have to wait when its fully dry, also i need a shiney induction kit but that will have to wait, and ill be having a go at polishing the plenum at some point so ill let you know how that goes on

firstly i had it spray cleaned at my local detaling place and it only cost 15 quid, a little more needs to be done when i get some engine cleaner but it took the worst off

ive used the volkswagon brilliant orange, and ive tried using a blue flip, come out quite good in the sun light, not so good on the pics, and will be better once ive given it a light sanding

so.. the pics:

dirty engine bay

unclean1.jpg

after the spray clean

clean2.jpg

after the spraying

orangebay.jpg

in the different lights

coverflip.jpg

coverflip2.jpg

brakecoverflip.jpg

Scott

today i got my dremmel out.....

took about 25 mins to get the plenum off which turned out to be easier than i thought,

firstly it looked like this...

plenum1.jpg

i used a dremmel (electric as the cordless kept running out off puff) and a wire wool type attachment

after 2 hours i got this far...

plenum2.jpg

after 3 hours...

plenum3.jpg

after 4 hours...

plenum4.jpg

then i ended up getting sandpaper off to try get a smooth finish, using different grades

plenum5.jpg

followed by autosol and refitting the plenum

plenum6.jpg

its not come out as good as i wanted, not got quite the shine i wanted, need a little more time on it yet, maybe a task for tommorrow if i can be bothered, it took far to long and if i was in this position again..... id take it to a polishers, far easier :D

Looks good mate.

Years ago I polished the cover on 106 GTI using one of these;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6-BUFFING-POLISHI ... 240%3A1318

I attached it to a regular hand drill and I got a mirror finish :thumbs:

You need to apply a really light touch if you're using a high rpm drill. It's worth a go for 7 quid...

In fact 'click' I've just bought one :lol:

i'd be careful using a steel wire wool on an aluminium plenum, i was always taught in engineering never to use steel on aluminium. as the steel can leave flecks in the aluminium which can cause corrosion. and that its better to use an extremely course brilo pad.

i'd be careful using a steel wire wool on an aluminium plenum, i was always taught in engineering never to use steel on aluminium. as the steel can leave flecks in the aluminium which can cause corrosion. and that its better to use an extremely course brilo pad.

I thought brillo pads were made of steel wool?

I thought brillo pads were made of steel wool?

i don't think it is, for some strnage reason i think its an aluminium wool. but i'm not sure. i just got told by my dad who trained as an aerospace engineer with the fleet air arms. and there training was never to use steel brushes on aluminium and to use brilo pads.

it has a special term as the steel reacts with the aluminium and the oxygen and i think the reaction creates a new chemical that then eats through the aluminium.

to be honest if your then rubbing the ally down with loads of grades of wet and dry and then autosol i'm guessing any steel residue would be almost non existant. you should be fine.