06 MY answers and questions

broady

I picked up my 06 MY Gun Metal GT last week and am delighted with it. I have decided to post as an introduction (maybe the wrong place) but also to provide some info on the 06 MY car (with pics) and ask some questions.

Observations so far -

Speed sensitive power steering makes a big difference at low speeds and when stationary, a bit too light for my liking but firms up nicely when on the move.

Interior is much improved, see pics, it's brighter and more storage space.

Radio - Exactly the same as old model (see pic), no MP3 support as was advertised on some motoring sites, but I don't think Nissan ever claimed it would.

Bluetooth - As posted already - not at the moment, the cradle is the same as before (see pic). Dealer didn't have a clue until they checked their system - a module is under development which will be retro fitted when ready (no date given) which I presume will fit in the current cradle, was sort of hoping we would get a new radio head unit with MP3 and bluetooth support combined, but looks unlikely.

Fuel economy - first tank was shocking (18mpg) but this isn't helped by varying speeds constantly to help running in. Second tank looking much better (25 mpg+) even on 95 octane.

It may seem strange I don't mention performance, hell we all know what that's like so seems rather pointless to repeat what has been said many times before!

Questions - Will be asking dealer next week.

Why are there Blue paint splodges on each wheel (see pic)?

Does the rear wiper fold upwards so you can easily clean underneath it?

Currently considering accessories - parking sensors, stubby aerial, mats front and back, tonneau cover and paintshield. Any comments appreciated.

nice one mate! :)

:welcome:

I can answer the questions for you i think:

the rear wiper doesn't fold upwards unfortunately

blue dots: i think they are some quality marks when the wheels were checked upon production, think they used to be grey on older models :wacko: (or maybe those grey ones were related to when the wheels were painted at the factory) the blue dot would annoy me too tbh :)

Hi Broady,

The wiper only lifts a wee bit but it's enough to wash under it. I think Theminel is right about the blue dots - quality control.

Why are you feeding the poor thing 95ron fuel? (If you're in Ireland, I apologise)

As far as accessories - IMO parking sensors look pi55 poor. I'm sure that there are some discreet ones out there, ask around. We have a member on here who's tonneau covers are generally considered to be the best available - better than Nissan ones and cheaper also. Do a search.

You can probably source stubby aerial and mats cheapest from E-bay.

Hope that helps. :)

P.S. Paintshield is one of those individual things - I reckon I can get the front end resprayed cheaper than the cost of paintshield so it's a no-brainer for me. Others would not have a car without it. each to his own. :)

Great pics, thanks :)

Radio has the same functionality but is slightly revised in order to be a flush fit for the revised centre console around the radio - especially at the bottom. Hopes are that it'll be more reliable than the original european spec unit.

As David has said, don't use 95RON unless you *really* have to.

Must feel good to take delivery - will be doing the same in 10 days!

I wouldn't go for parking sensors unless you get them dealer fitted/paint matched. 4 x black blobs look cr*p I agree.

X-Pel paint protection is worth the money IMO. Even if you can get a front end re-spray for £300 it is gonna look cr*p between resprays.

Best thing for (no) chip marks it to avoid Azure Blue as the base coat shows through really badly.

l33roy - when did you order your car. I ordered mine on 25th April with expected delivery 15th June, went on holiday on 2nd May and got a call from dealer that the car was ready. They registered it on 30 April but I couldn't pick it up till after holiday. Got it on 23rd May and they also have a gun metal demo. Have only seen one other 06 MY, in silver, so maybe the Ebisu's are taking their time.

Anyway all comments/suggestions appreciated.

Glad I didn't break off the wiper trying to lift the wiper off!

Would certainly go for dealer fitted sensors, I assumed they would be paint matched and at £275 seemed reasonable cost.

Blue marks make sense for alignment purposes. To be honest only noticed red marks when looking at the blue splodge pics, both shall be removed.

95 Octane fuel - don't have a lot of choice where I live, usually use Sainsbury's Super unleaded (97), only 2p more per litre but they had run out. Out of interest Nissan website states:

"Question:The brochure indicates the 350Z uses 98octane fuel, however in other countries this has been banned or phased out. Is this something that may be planned for the UK? Is it possible to use 95 octane?

Answer:Yes, the brochure recommends using 98 octane and all the performance figures quoted are achieved using 98 octane. As far as we are aware, there are no plans to phase out 98 octane unleaded fuel in the UK. The 350Z will run without any problems on 95 octane unleaded. There will be some loss of performance as a result (about 15PS) but no long term effects on the engine."

My previous car (Leon Cupra) stated performance figures were obtained on 98 so you could expect a bit less power on 95. I could tell that power delivery in the Leon was smoother and held on a bit longer, but with the 350 still being run in I have no way of comparing, but will have fun doing it when I can.

Ordered mine in Jan. Reason for the delay is due to the optional Alezan trim - I thought about dropping this in favour of standard charcoal, but I think Alezan looks great in a black car (brightens up the interior a lot). I think the GM being a popular colour also gets priority in production volume, as well as SatNav (have you got this in yours?)

www.petrolprices.com - find your cheapest SUL retailer! ;)

No Sat Nav - but the dealer demo had it. I agree the Alezan brightens up the car, but the old keeping black clean (when I agree the car looks amazing) put me off.

If you had gone into my local dealer in January and asked to order an 06 model they would have looked at you blank, I knew more about the car than they did! Hope (like mine) yours turns up earlier than expected, it will be all the better after the wait.

Two things:

Dont forget Tesco do 99 Ron at some stations. Check here for details:

http://www.greenergy.com/products/99_oc ... tions.html

RPA Sensors. I've spent hours on this one. There are several different types fitted - seems to vary by dealer. The most common one looks like a disc within a larger disc but with a recess between them. This recess should NOT be painted. The kit comes with small masking rings to stop the paintshop doing it but most just throw them away. If those recesses are sprayed the paint can lift very easily, particularly when washed with a power washer. I'd always washed mine by hand but the local service dealer did a wash for me at the end of service and suddenly I had flakey paint!

Have fun!

I take it this thread is discussing the inclusion of reverse parking sensors as part of the spec for a new car. Can they be fitted as an after market option? I have a JDM - does that cause any issues?

Jim

Took delivery of a GM couple of weeks ago, and driving like Miss Daisy I averaged 27.9mpg on Optimax, nearly passed out yesterday filling it up for the first time... £70.. Had an S2000 before and the tank was tiny, oh well definitely worth it.

Quick question for all I guess, the 2 ridges that run up the bonnet both have what looks like a huge scratch up them, but after a bit of work I managed to remove a bit of it, does anybody know if the car comes with some sort of protective stickers on when its delivered to the stealer? Just wanted to be sure before I accuse the stealer....

Thanks all.

Had same problem with what looked like scratches, it is glue residue, but looks like they missed taken some stickers off my car (see pic) on both sides before rear wheel arches. Haven't taken them off as I want to prove a point to them, PDIs aren't that they should be!

yeah I can confirm, they are supposed to be there :)

Thanks for confirmation that they should be there, however if you look closely near the bottom there is already an air bubble and am concerned it will come off.

Dealer won't get off lightly!