Double DIN head unit

jim

I am getting really fed up with the after-market double din HU in my car - it came with the car from Japan - everything is in Japanese, the SatNav doesn't work, neither does the DVD, it has a redundant Mini-Disk player in the rear cubby and the radio reception is poor.

I would like to replace it with a reasonably good quality unit that will give me good reception, can take an input for my iPod and play CDs. A touch screen would be desirable but not essential, as would bluetooth for the phone.

My main issue is this - how difficult is it to replace the head unit? I am afraid I have been a bit daunted by some of the threads on here which show huge amounts of wiring and no clear instructions as to what goes where. Is it a DIY job for somebody with reasonable technical skills but no detailed knowledge of ICE?

Alternatively, how much would you expect professional installers to charge for that type of job?

Finally, any suggestions for a suitable replacement unit would be most welcome.

Just my thoughts:

Went to my local car audio shop, asked about work on my Zed and if I would retain any steering wheel control with my Bose system.

They said I would almost certainly loose them.

Then I see srobiens thread about the install of a Pioneer AVIC-F900BT, which is very detailed and very useful (and retains the steering whell controls and works with the Bose system) http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

So basically I'd say, if you got a Bose system in your car, you can't go wrong with that guide, just get the appropriate steering wheel control cable for the brand HU you intend to buy.

ooops...my bad.

Well I'm sure if existing wiring is ok and the factory connectors were not replaced, I'm sure you can get the right leads to connect up any HU you wish.

There are plenty on here that have aftermarket HU's and surely they have more good advice than I can offer.

As for the pricing on labour for fitting, just ring round local audio shops, asking never cost anything.

Just my thoughts:

Went to my local car audio shop, asked about work on my Zed and if I would retain any steering wheel control with my Bose system.

They said I would almost certainly loose them..

Sounds like someone to not take your car then :)

As others have said - retaining the steering controls and BOSE system is not too hard.

if your looking for a good screen with iPod function the Alpine W502 with the BT400 bluetooh unit guves you an awesome setup.

Spend a bit more and go for the Kenwood 8220BT which also gives you the SatNav in there. Not as good an audio/iPod setup as the Alpine but you would get Navigation

I have a Kenwood DNX-7200, is fully touch screen, built in Garmin Navigation, DVD/media player, and bluetooth phone control with seperate bluetooth control box. It also has usb cable on back which you can easily use with the Kenwood Ipod cable for both audio and video. I had the DNX-5220 before but it was stolen when my car was in the garage having its kit fitted (long story). Both are very good headunits and because you already have a aftermarket headunit should be very easy to install. The center console comes out very easy and then theres 4 screws holding the headunit in. They are quite pricey headunits, with the bluetooth you will be looking at around £619 for the 5220 and £669 for the 7200. If you go down that route try www.justkenwood.co.uk. If you need any more info PM me.

Just my thoughts:

They said I would almost certainly loose them..

Sounds like someone to not take your car then :)

As others have said - retaining the steering controls and BOSE system is not too hard.

if your looking for a good screen with iPod function the Alpine W502 with the BT400 bluetooh unit guves you an awesome setup.

Spend a bit more and go for the Kenwood 8220BT which also gives you the SatNav in there. Not as good an audio/iPod setup as the Alpine but you would get Navigation

Thanks for the suggestions, but wasn't looking to spend that much on it.

I have a Kenwood DNX-7200, is fully touch screen, built in Garmin Navigation, DVD/media player, and bluetooth phone control with seperate bluetooth control box. It also has usb cable on back which you can easily use with the Kenwood Ipod cable for both audio and video. I had the DNX-5220 before but it was stolen when my car was in the garage having its kit fitted (long story). Both are very good headunits and because you already have a aftermarket headunit should be very easy to install. The center console comes out very easy and then theres 4 screws holding the headunit in. They are quite pricey headunits, with the bluetooth you will be looking at around £619 for the 5220 and £669 for the 7200. If you go down that route try www.justkenwood.co.uk. If you need any more info PM me.

That's very helpful - thanks. I think I could give it a go myself.

As you say, though, these are quite pricey units and I was hoping to keep the cost below £500 if possible.

I think I could give it a go myself.

Definatley a good sunday DIY job :) how hard depends on one thing really and that is how is the stereo you have no been installed. If its been installed using proper ISO connectors its a simple case of unplug old HU plug in new one. If on the other hand its had the standard loom cut to fit the headunit you may need a little guidance on what wire is what but theres plenty ppl on here who can point you in the right direction.

I think I could give it a go myself.

Definatley a good sunday DIY job :) how hard depends on one thing really and that is how is the stereo you have no been installed. If its been installed using proper ISO connectors its a simple case of unplug old HU plug in new one. If on the other hand its had the standard loom cut to fit the headunit you may need a little guidance on what wire is what but theres plenty ppl on here who can point you in the right direction.

Thanks again for this advice. I'll keep on looking for an affordable HU and then see how it goes. As you say, there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here if I get stuck.

I have a Pioneer FH-P 80 BT which i haven't actually fitted yet, i have all the bits needed to but dont feel confident doing it myself so i am in the same position as you trying to find someone local to do it for me! Its been sat in the house for 3 weeks now :blush:

This is a much cheaper unit, all i wanted was an ipod connection because i was fed up of the skipping bose. The only problem with this is it illuminates blue rather than orange but it does look very B)

I have a Pioneer FH-P 80 BT which i haven't actually fitted yet, i have all the bits needed to but dont feel confident doing it myself so i am in the same position as you trying to find someone local to do it for me! Its been sat in the house for 3 weeks now :blush:

This is a much cheaper unit, all i wanted was an ipod connection because i was fed up of the skipping bose. The only problem with this is it illuminates blue rather than orange but it does look very B)

As you say, that is much more affordable but I see what you mean about the blue screen colour.

That's the head unit i have in mine! It's a very good head unit considering the price. I got mine on offer from car audio direct just over a month ago and it was the cheapest i could find it.

Thanks for the positive reply. Do you have the bluetooth adaptor, and if so, how well does it work?

Also, do you use an iPod with it?

Found this:

http://www.hd-radio-home.com/Review-of- ... VX810.html

Seems a pretty thorough review.

I am looking for images of the actual user interface on this but can't. Seems a good deal though. I love Alpine stuff but their menu system is so poorly designed and horrible to look at with double DINs that I was really put off.

I thought JVC died a while ago. lol.

While i agree the Alpine graphics are starting to look a bit dated and don't match up to the competition at the moment I would still go for an Alpine, especially of the likes of the JVC due to the difference in audio quality.

All comes down to how much you want a pretty unit against the best sounding unit.

Ive gotta agree with you on that one Rob, ive always been a fan of Alpine. Ive got the W505 sitting around waiting to be fitted atm, just waiting for the BT to arrive, altho i had planned to do all this several months ago!

Jim, where have you looked at for the alpine? I didn't pay a huge amount for mine altho it was an ebay purchase. I think it was £400 brand new. You could also try the W202 which is a slightly cheaper version of the W502 graphics just dont look as good, but it still does Ipod and pretty much anything else you could want. Alpines are always a bit pricey tho when compared to some most of the other makes.

I need help!

I've got a pioneer double dine head unit, all the looms, adaptors and fascia panel to fit but i need someone to do it as i am not confident myself despite all the guides available online.

If anyone is near manchester that can do this then name your price and i'll sort you cash for it!

Please! :teeth:

Ive gotta agree with you on that one Rob, ive always been a fan of Alpine. Ive got the W505 sitting around waiting to be fitted atm, just waiting for the BT to arrive, altho i had planned to do all this several months ago!

Jim, where have you looked at for the alpine? I didn't pay a huge amount for mine altho it was an ebay purchase. I think it was £400 brand new. You could also try the W202 which is a slightly cheaper version of the W502 graphics just dont look as good, but it still does Ipod and pretty much anything else you could want. Alpines are always a bit pricey tho when compared to some most of the other makes.

I have been looking online at sites like car audio direct mainly. The W202 is still a bit more than I want to spend at roughly £570 at the cheapest suppliers.

I spoke to the guys in Skidz (my local car audio dealers) today and they recommended the Kenwood DDX5024 - it meets my needs as I'm not bothered aboout SatNav as I have a good portable unit which mounts in the cubby quite neatly. However, they wanted around £550 for it and I can get it online for £470 or thereabouts. Skidz would fit any unit for around £25, so I may go down that route once I decide on the right HU.

I'm still tempted by the JVC unit - it looks good, seems to do most of what I need and is a good price.

I spoke to the guys in Skidz (my local car audio dealers) today and they recommended the Kenwood DDX5024

If that price includes the BT adapter and the iPod cable then its a good price. As for the unit ive never heard of that model but from the pictures ive seen it looks like the DNX-5220 which i used to own. the 5220 as i said above was a very nice headunit and you probably wont go wrong with the price you have been quoted.