Bodyshop Cowboys!!!

get12

Hi all,

I just had me Zed in the paintshop for them to respray the nose and replace the rear bumper-it is now a week later and the first chance I have had to wax the car since getting it back-and I have been spending most of the day 'snagging' the front end!! It looks like they stripped the paint from behind the headlight washers, but when it came to respraying them they did not bother respraying behind them again!

What is even more disturbing is that I keep on finding patches on the car that are as rough as hell-like a fine mist of paint remover has tarnished it-I dont know how or what they use so this is only a guess. The thing is it is really noticeable as the surface appears 'misty' and rough to the touch-and this is on the main metal body of the car! I feel so angry that I needed to share this with you guys-I cant wait 'till Tuesday-when I can go into the garage and have this out with them-i'm hoping that they sort it out -any advice from anyone???

G

Hi G

Sorry you’re having such a tough time. It’s the way things are these days. Most (not all) skilled guys and those posing as skilled seem to just want to lash off the work and get their money. Was it a main dealer repair or a smaller concern?

Who ever it was, my advice would be to keep your cool, point out the substandard workmanship and be persistent in demanding a professional finish. If you’ve already paid and they refuse to make good their shoddy workmanship; then name and shame and get an independent assessment carried out by say the AA and take them to the small claims court.

Hope it goes well

Hi Dicky,

It was an insurance job carried out by a local paint shop and not a dealer. The 'funny' thing is, is that the front end respray was 'thrown' in as a sweetner for getting the other work - replacement of rear bumper and knocking out a dent/scrape on the rear wheel arch. So, I cant go running to the insurance company to complain about the front end! Mind, the rear bumper has not been fitted to my liking either-there is a big gap on both sides where the breaks sit in the bumper. Also, when they spray painted the bumper, they did not bother doing the rear parking sensors-which are now a slightly lighter shade than the bumper! Your right though-keep your cool and work things out!!

G

Like Val says it cold be over spray that need buffing off, most small shops like that are moving cars with no check on quality, but most will sort it out.

...they even got the sills by the footplate (on each side) which is what i dont understand, as that does not explain the 'overspray'! I will just ahve to wait 'till tuesday and have it out with them then!!

G

I went to see the garage this morning. I tried to keep calm when pointing out the 5-6 areas of the paint job I was not happy with, and the guy just walked away from me saying that he was prepared to listen to me about the nose but when I started pointing out the other areas of the car that had been affected by the crap work he was not going to have any of it :angry::angry::angry::angry:

Have a listen to this, as mentioned before, the nose respray was an 'extra' thrown in on an insurance job that involved replacing the rear bumper. This guy said that because it was a deal they did not take off the front bumper to re-spray (which is where half the problems stem from)-I retorted by saying that a)why did you not tell me that you were not going to do it professionally, and B) because it was a 'deal' that was thrown in to get the work, does that mean they should mess it up??!! :angry::angry: This is the point when he walked away!!

Luckily, the engineers that the insurance company used have not paid him yet, and even though they can not do anything about the bodged up front end, they can speak to him about the gap that has appeared on both sides of the car where the rear bumper meets the brake lights, and the scratch that was there when I picked the car up!!!

So, Andy of Car Services of Birch Road, Eastbourne, you have been named and shamed.

G

Sounds like a guy that takes real pride in the perception of his company and the quality of its work.

They didnt take the front bumper off to respray it?!? WTF? Its not as if its a lot of effort.

Id be on the blower to the insurance company making sure he did not get paid full stop. In fact, Id be getting quotes from another bodyshop for the cost of repairing the "damage" caused, and insisting that your insurance company bill the first garage for it.

Sounds like a guy that takes real pride in the perception of his company and the quality of its work.

They didnt take the front bumper off to respray it?!? WTF? Its not as if its a lot of effort.

Id be on the blower to the insurance company making sure he did not get paid full stop. In fact, Id be getting quotes from another bodyshop for the cost of repairing the "damage" caused, and insisting that your insurance company bill the first garage for it.

No can do mate-ive already spoken to the engineers at the insurance company with the view to stopping payment but they would only entertain that if the reason for my complaint stems from work authorised by the insurance company i.e. the rear bumper and bodywork - which makes sense.

I am also shagged in that as the front end respray was an 'agreement' between myself and the bodyshop, and as such none of the additional work appears on the invoice and as such (advice from Consumer Direct), it would be hard to prove as there is no written contract - perhaps a verbal one but no-one to witness it. A long shot would be to threaten with Sales of Goods and Services Act 1982 but they would not recommend me spending money in the Small Claims Court as there is no contract supporting work carried out.

:angry::angry::angry:

G

As you have an issue with the rear, and the gap that has appeared, cant you use this as "leverage" to force the fixing of the rest of the work?

What I mean is, you could cause the delay of payment for the authorised work until they sort out the front end. Once they sort out the front end, as well as the rear, then you will inform your insurance company you are happy and the brakes can come off the payment.

In a nutshell use your "obvious dissatisfaction" ;) over the rear, as leverage to have the front fixed.

As you have an issue with the rear, and the gap that has appeared, cant you use this as "leverage" to force the fixing of the rest of the work?

What I mean is, you could cause the delay of payment for the authorised work until they sort out the front end. Once they sort out the front end, as well as the rear, then you will inform your insurance company you are happy and the brakes can come off the payment.

In a nutshell use your "obvious dissatisfaction" ;) over the rear, as leverage to have the front fixed.

Yeah I know what your saying-the thought had crossed my mind as well, but I have lost all confidence in the guy and his work-god knows what they would do to the car if I caused hassle-p*ss in the petrol tank etc!!!

I think I am going to cut me losses and run-by what the engineer was saying this morning, it is relatively easy to adjust the rear bumper (what do you think?)-might even do it myself??!!

G

for the "rougher" parts it might be it just needs buffing mate, with a proper tool and some G3 then G10, you should be ok then :) hopefully

Can you tell me a bit more about what you mean by G3 and G10, where to get it and how much. Elbow grease will have to do instead of a buffing tool!!!