How much does it take to be cheeky?

Anubis

Hi guys,

I'm looking at some 56 plate GT Uk cars with around 15k miles on them and looking for an idea of value based on my budget.

The dealers are selling them at £16k. Lets assume, all is fine with the cars - would it be unreasonable to offer £13.5k or would I be expecting a "laugh in my face" response. I know on personal trades, many of them are people's pride and joy and would likely get different responses depending on the individuals desire to sell, however with a trader it is just stock that can't be sold. Where would you draw the line at being cheeky?

I always have the moto of "if you don't ask you don't get..." ;)

You are the person with the money so you hold the cards.

You can offer as low as you like and can always come up.

I bought my boss a Maybach 62 last July and ended up paying £ 50,000 less than the asking price and I got my Z for 6,300 euros less than the asking price.

Remember if you don't ask you won't know and you can always go up in price but never down

well im happy with the price

i could go even further and say that in 6months the car will be 13k, in 12months it'll be 12k etc, if i thought like that though i'd never own a 350z

It'll beworth a lot less than £12k in 12 months......... :blush:

My car was on at £19k a year ago. It is definitely not a seller's market. Took them a year to sell it - I finally took it off their hands at £12k dead on with 2 yrs extended mfr warranty, full service mot etc, very good condition, 55 plate, just over 30k miles, full service history. My car is only one year older than the one you are looking at and offer what ever you feel is reasonable. They will always laugh in your face even if you offer only £1000 less. Offer 13k and settle at 13.5-14k - that to me is not unreasonable at all. If it is a main dealer they are likely to want to shift it. No harm in asking at all. But as said above definitely start low. Its a buyer's market.

But that £7k difference is not your haggling skills, its a combination of horrendous depreciation, a shite economy, an extortionate starting price and market price adjustment etc etc

I was just highlighting how much of a buyer's market it currently is. I'm useless at haggling :)

My car was on at £19k a year ago. It is definitely not a seller's market. Took them a year to sell it - I finally took it off their hands at £12k dead on with 2 yrs extended mfr warranty, full service mot etc, very good condition, 55 plate, just over 30k miles, full service history. My car is only one year older than the one you are looking at and offer what ever you feel is reasonable. They will always laugh in your face even if you offer only £1000 less. Offer 13k and settle at 13.5-14k - that to me is not unreasonable at all. If it is a main dealer they are likely to want to shift it. No harm in asking at all. But as said above definitely start low. Its a buyer's market.

But that £7k difference is not your haggling skills, its a combination of horrendous depreciation, a shite economy, an extortionate starting price and market price adjustment etc etc

I was just highlighting how much of a buyer's market it currently is. I'm useless at haggling :)

Of course, just that the OP was asking about haggling margins etc....I'd be mightily impressed if anyone bartered a £19k car down to £12k......he be a top boy.........or a ****ing fit woman..... :lol:

Of course, just that the OP was asking about haggling margins etc....I'd be mightily impressed if anyone bartered a £19k car down to £12k......he be a top boy.........or a ****ing fit woman..... :lol:

:lol:

what are the chances of getting an extended warranty and new rear tyres even though i have put a deposit down on the car? I told the dealer i'd want to pick the car up at the start of April could i suggest picking it up end of March to increase of my chances of getting the extras do you think?

Also one of the other dealers is still phoning me offering all sorts even though he knows i've put a deposit down on this GT blue one, could i use the knowledge of this too?

Or i am i too late to negotiate these extras now :(

Hmmm...tough decision. TBH, I wouldn't be too impressed if someone put a deposit down on my car and then started wanting extra stuff afterwards (it feels threatening rather than negotiating). However, like I said, if you don't ask you don't get. If the chap says no, try and do a "sub-deal" and say you will pay 50% of the cost for those changes to ease the burden.

Ignore the other bloke trying to sell you the other car. There is always going to be a "better" offer on the table as time goes on. You're obviously happy with the zed you put a deposit down for so stick to it (why run the risk with another one - where does it end?!). Otherwise in 6 months time you could be telling yourself its another 2-3k less than now and if you had only waited, bla bla bla - thats not the point of a sports car - you get it to have fun in it and never see a car as an investment! B)

what are the chances of getting an extended warranty and new rear tyres even though i have put a deposit down on the car? I told the dealer i'd want to pick the car up at the start of April could i suggest picking it up end of March to increase of my chances of getting the extras do you think?

Also one of the other dealers is still phoning me offering all sorts even though he knows i've put a deposit down on this GT blue one, could i use the knowledge of this too?

Or i am i too late to negotiate these extras now :(

i'd think you were taking the p1$$ and tell you where to go. if you've negotiated a price once, thats it, if you didn't get it right first time you'll know better for next. sorry if that sounds harsh, but i've sold cars privatly and that winds me up. :blush: