Reminder - Motorcyclists

ab350z

I know the road safety lot are re-running the 'look, look and look again' ad for checking for bikers, but I've just witnessed the very harsh reality of not checking. A young lad in a silver Polo just took a biker out on Aberdeen's Market Street. Car was turning into the bikers lane of traffic into a side road and obviously hadn't seen the biker. Bike was in a very bad way and the rider wasn't moving. Just be careful folks!

You have to be really on the ball to spot bikes all the time, you'd think that angry hornet noise would give them away but it doesn't. Most bikers come to injury due to someone else's error. It's good to be reminded every now and then.

It was a black 03 R6.

The info was taken from my local bike forum. The OP over there passed when an ambulance was in attendance.

I ride a BRIGHT orange bike with headlights on all the time (automatic) and people still pull out on you etc.

I understand that it's difficult to see bikes sometimes however please take that extra look. I'm too young to die!

It was a black 03 R6.

The info was taken from my local bike forum. The OP over there passed when an ambulance was in attendance.

I ride a BRIGHT orange bike with headlights on all the time (automatic) and people still pull out on you etc.

I understand that it's difficult to see bikes sometimes however please take that extra look. I'm too young to die!

Any news on the biker Stew? Didnt look good when I drove by, no ambulance there at the time, just the fast response car.

Evening Express

A BIKER was seriously injured this afternoon after a road crash in Aberdeen.

The man was thrown around five feet in the air when he crashed with a car on a busy Aberdeen street.

Police and paramedics were scrambled to the scene as onlookers gathered and tried to help.

The crash happened on Aberdeen’s Market Street near its junction with Hadden Street at 2pm.

Witness Baz Maitland said the Yamaha bike was heading towards nearby Union Street when it was in a crash with a silver Volkswagen Polo.

The 42-year-old said: “He flew right up on to the bonnet and came down again. He flew about four or five feet in the air.

“I’m a biker myself, it’s not good to see a biker go down.â€

Mr Maitland, of Aberdeen’s Manor area, said a member of the public helped the biker until emergency services arrived.

The man, thought to be in his 30s, was lying in the middle of the road across from Wilson’s Bar.

The injured man was taken to Aberdeen Royal Infirmary.

This is exactly the reason why my mate organised a red cross first responders course for motorcyclists. I'm doing it. It's the same couse as the TT first responders do. Don't want to use it but it might just save one of my mates.

This is exactly the reason why my mate organised a red cross first responders course for motorcyclists. I'm doing it. It's the same couse as the TT first responders do. Don't want to use it but it might just save one of my mates.

Thats an excellent idea. You never know when it will be needed and when it does it means your not one of the mindless morons on the scene just standing and staring at the victim :thumbs: You kind of go into autopilot and before you know it the ambulance is there.

With regard to loud and bright bikes, what you have to remember is that the sound is dampned a lot by cars sound insulation and the light is only coming from a very small point, so it is hard to see. I know when I'm out on my R6 it is difficult to see me, so road position is ever more important. The kind of crap they dont teach you in the bike test. You really have to keep yourself safe and drive for every other muppet on the road and assume they will all pull out on you or cut you up. :headhurt: