paint protection

dr bru

Ok I know there have been a few posts about this in the past; i just wanted to see if I can get a definative answer.

So I have a Kuro Black 350z which is in pretty much brand new condition, is it worth me investing in the plastic protection film as I do a fair bit of driving, some of which is on the motorway?

Cheers

Having seen the front end of mine after only 5000 miles, not a great deal of it on the motorways either - I would say yes, without a doubt.

Im hoping to get the chips done on mine and the front end protected afterward.

How are you going to get your chips done exactly? Full respray or what? I have a Kuro and there are so many stone chips it look more like grey!!!

Ok I know there have been a few posts about this in the past; i just wanted to see if I can get a definative answer.

So I have a Kuro Black 350z which is in pretty much brand new condition, is it worth me investing in the plastic protection film as I do a fair bit of driving, some of which is on the motorway?

Cheers

ASAP too mate, to prevent having to touch them up later on....

imo one of the best mods to the Z.... and you cna get discount from Paintshield thanks to this site! :yahoo:

only 2 in the UK! Paintshield and Armourfend.

With Paintshield being cheaper than Armourfend in the first place, AND the fact that you get the discount being a member of this site AND the great customer service that Tom & Co provide, my choice would be easy enough ;)

recommendation: get it done at their HQ even if they are a bit far from you, it's all in the installation! B)

www.paintshield.co.uk

If the installation is good, and it would be top notch if done at their HQ, this stuff is all but invisible.

You can see the edges if you look closely, but a very fine line of an edge of film is far better than a smattering of stone chips over the front end.

Val (TheMinel) has had a full front end installation (the whole bonnet rather than just the front half) and due to the nature of the lines on the front of the Z, the film joins in the bottom of the creases in the bonnet - making the joins even less obvious.

Ive not seen it in the flesh yet, but knowing how particular Val is about his car, if he says its a good job, its good!

I wish mine had been done from new, but I bought the car 5 months old, and too late - along with a bodykit, the tidying up of the stonechips and aplication of paintshield is on my list of things to do.

maybe this is a question for Val...

when installed does the paint look perfectly smooth under the film or do you get a slight patina?

I want to get my new paint finish protected from the off but I'm worried that it'll just look like film on my lovely new paint job...

Maybe Permagard treatment would be another option???

What do you think?

Guest prescience

I'm sure Val will chip in but AFAIK its all the same 3m film and yes by observing reflections you can certainly tell that there is more diffusion (de-sharpening) on the filmed area. However, it might also be true that for a full bonnet job, since there is less contrast than having a part bonnet, the effect would be less noticeable.

If the installation is good, and it would be top notch if done at their HQ, this stuff is all but invisible.

You can see the edges if you look closely, but a very fine line of an edge of film is far better than a smattering of stone chips over the front end.

Val (TheMinel) has had a full front end installation (the whole bonnet rather than just the front half) and due to the nature of the lines on the front of the Z, the film joins in the bottom of the creases in the bonnet - making the joins even less obvious.

Ive not seen it in the flesh yet, but knowing how particular Val is about his car, if he says its a good job, its good!

I wish mine had been done from new, but I bought the car 5 months old, and too late - along with a bodykit, the tidying up of the stonechips and aplication of paintshield is on my list of things to do.

How do people tidy up stone chips? Are we talking a full respray???

I am currently talking to Nissan Customer Service as one of their selling features is that they test all paint by firing diamonds from a gun, point blank at 100mph, and if the paint chips, they do not use it.

So, you would think that stone chips would be no problem then?

I have been told by Nissan to take my car to a dealer for a paint inspection and they have given me a reference number.

I'll let you know the outcome...

Neil

maybe this is a question for Val...

when installed does the paint look perfectly smooth under the film or do you get a slight patina?

I want to get my new paint finish protected from the off but I'm worried that it'll just look like film on my lovely new paint job...

Maybe Permagard treatment would be another option???

What do you think?

surface looks smooth under the film as it's cleaned very thoroughly before installation, plus if you have alooked after your bodywork before the install, (ie clay treatment a couple of times a year, waxed it regularly etc) it will already be in great condition :)

the patina is sometimes due to little moisture bubbles under the film but they disappear after about 3 weeks (and if the installer is good, this is a very very very minimal area anyway)

I am currently talking to Nissan Customer Service as one of their selling features is that they test all paint by firing diamonds from a gun, point blank at 100mph, and if the paint chips, they do not use it.

I have been told by Nissan to take my car to a dealer for a paint inspection and they have given me a reference number.

Neil

I will ceratinly be interested in the outcome of those discussions - in my opinion the chances of the Z's paint standing up to that is about zero. :(

A full "glass out" respray with thicker, harder paint under warranty would be nice.

B) have had 2 new cars treated to film so far,1 x customer and my new esibu black , realy good job, only had front bumper done. work was done in our storage unit, tom has people in reading most days at porshe so able to visit us aswell. would highley recomend tom and the boys at paint sheild. catch him on here. B)

Neil

let us know how u get on as the front of my Z after just over 10k miles in 18months is shocking :surrender: ( maybe it's coz of the way i drive ;) )