In Car PC

350Znismo

Thanks for the welcome.

I went for the 700TSV XENARC/GAIN LCD Monitor which is actually unbranded as I bought it from a digital-car.co.uk forum member.

Looks good and has auto on feature.

Just got to get the whole thing integrated now.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the best way of routing power into the car from the battery. I want a clean, always live source.

Been thinking about installing a car PC, want to go down teh DC-DC route rather than an inverter DC-AC. Looking at the opus power supplies.

Also looking at a touch screen. What size is teh cubby hole? And can you use teh std cubby, or has eveyone opted for the Satnav Version.

Cant decide whether to go for a windows PC, Linux or even a Mac. Possibly the new intel Macs, and have all 3 running on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my hands on MS Autoroute for the PC , it comes with a USB GPS aerial. Installation of the software is easy and when running it gets the position straight away instead of TomTom's ToGo 5 minute warm up. The maps are I believe more upto date too. My road is actually on the MS maps and I've been living here over 5 years. The downside of the package is its too complex , its full of all the bells and whistles you expect from a MS product. TTTG is much easier to use even with a small screen.

I have not tried Autoroute in the car which I'll give a go sometime soon ( install it on the laptop) and pop out into the country for the day.

More news later , this is Seedy signing off for the news at 10 , good night :)

Hi guys,

So if you don't want to take out your Bose unit, you are a bit screwed for installing a Car PC (assuming you want MP3) cos there is nowhere to connect it to the audio system, right?

Sorry for the newbie question, it's just that I'm a newbie :)

-Stu

Hi guys,

So if you don't want to take out your Bose unit, you are a bit screwed for installing a Car PC (assuming you want MP3) cos there is nowhere to connect it to the audio system, right?

-Stu

Not exactly, as the two can work side by side but if you are playing mp3's then why go back to cd's.

Have a look at this

http://www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk/acatalog/P ... ICX1R.html

Fitted it a Zed

http://www.350z-uk.com/gallery/displayi ... at=0&pos=4

The car is a UK car and they changed the head unit only, running through the Bose amps and speakers.

This gives you sat nav, dvd, mp3, mp4, Ipod, all for £980. if i had my time again that is the way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Ive been there and done that. with my last car. Its a bit of fun having a PC in your car, but id at no point do away with a standard PC headunit. The radios are just NOT up to it yet for computers. Only crappy FM USB tuners, and tv/fm pci cards.

Also, its a PC, so despite how much time you spend perfecting it, it will crash from time to time and its mucho hasselo.

I went for and all in car pc installation in my last car without a headunit and it soudned great and looked cool, but ended up pissing me off with its crashing, freezing and lack of decent radio.

Remember, alot of the car pc software is based around the good old USA, so most of the decent GPS software isnt compatible with the front ends like Media engine, frodo etc amd we dont have satilette radio over here which would be great for an all in solution.

Its cool, but only as an auxillary unit. . . . . . they just aint stable enough and 'solidstate' enough, like the built in navs which provide greater reliability and less issues.

Its a labour of love. . . . .

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys,

-Stu

Not exactly, as the two can work side by side but if you are playing mp3's then why go back to cd's.

Have a look at this

http://www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk/acatalog/P ... ICX1R.html

Fitted it a Zed

http://www.350z-uk.com/gallery/displayi ... at=0&pos=4

The car is a UK car and they changed the head unit only, running through the Bose amps and speakers.

This gives you sat nav, dvd, mp3, mp4, Ipod, all for £980. if i had my time again that is the way to go.

I can't see a PC in either of these links :huh: :confused: