In Car PC

350Znismo

I am currently in the process of fitting a Windows Media Computer in my Roadster.

I was faced with the Dilemma of a satellite navigation and DVD system that we all know doesn’t work in our imports.

So what to do, pay £1000 to convert to a VDO system that is only a Sat System, or as I have decided change it to a full PC system.

Measurements 8 x 2.5 x 10 inch.

This could easily fit under the passenger seat, or as I will fit under the glove box behind the seat.

Here is the PC bare bones

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the pc in the car case, with slide cd rom (same as car cd players)

Spec on the mother board is MII-series motherboard, the MII-1200, which is powered by an x86-compatible C3 chip clocked at 1.2GHz.

The MII-1200 features an incredible variety of on-board PC I/O, including CardBus PCMCIA and CompactFlash slots, to support a wide variety of third-party WiFi, GPRS, and other peripherals. The board also offers two USB 2.0 ports, as well as FireWire, for the addition of removable hard drives, CD writers, and other storage devices.

And the front

One especially nice feature of the MII-series boards is the inclusion of Via's VT1616 audio chip, set up in a way that isolates it from onboard pre-amplifier circuitry to signifantly lower the ambient noise floor. The chip supports playback at better-than-CD audio quality, too.

The MII-1200 even offers an RCA port that can be set up as a digital audio out, or S-video out, depending on the desired application.

The PC also features a special 90-watt power supply designed for 12- and 24-volt automotive applications the M1-ATX board; this replaces the power board that comes with the case.

The old power board was discarded and the M1-ATX plugged in instead.

The M1-ATX power includes a relay to power on your amplifier when the car engine starts

The M1-ATX DC-DC ATX supply can deal with power oscillations during engine cranking, and can interface with ignition relay signals provided by most automotive electrical systems to initiate radio antenna extension. Depending on how its BIOS is configured, the PC can be configured to boot or resume when the car is started, and to shutdown or suspend when the engine is stopped.

Should you choose to suspend the PC during engine-off intervals, the power supply has circuitry to shut it down all the way, in order to protect it against the possibility of the car's battery discharging deeply. Additional circuitry prevents amplifier "thumps" when the PC is powered up or down,

The pc is now complete and loaded with Windows XP media, but it needed an interface to emulate the requirements for DVD, Sat Navigation, Music, and for future interface with data logging of my engine.

The interface I chose was the G-NET system, this was relevantly cheap (downloadable)

And runs in front of windows and shuts windows down at the click of a button.

I am currently using the same programming software as G-NET to write my own interface, using 350Z logo’s (still in Beta)

This picture shows the engine bay mount PC that GE-NET sell on their site

http://www.gnetcanada.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would prefer my monitor in the glove compartment, but definately would like to know how to source the parts uve used.

cheers

metal

er no glovebox in the 350Z just a few cubbies holes behind the seats unless you mean the little cubby hole above the stereo :headhurt:

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would play about with a mini pc , might eventually get it into the car :). I bought most of the parts at http://www.linitx.com

It really simple and not that expensive for the PC you need a few parts. Now if you dont need a cd/dvd drive in it the cost comes down but you need to connect it one to install an OS such as windows or linux.

All prices are pre VAT.

1. Case: Cubid 3677 £48.00

2. Hard drive: Seagate 40GB Momentus 4200 2MB Cache £43.20

3. MotherBoard:VIA EPIA MII 12000 Nehemiah Mainboard £112.20

4. DVD/CDRW: Panasonic CW-8124-B £46.00

After VAT and delivery the above came to £301.98 ( you could knock £50 off if you dont need the DVD/CDRW in it)

The following I had at home and did not need but heres the prices

1. windows XP home: £58.72

2. 512MB of memory: £33.78

With this configuration I can run it as a normal PC and use my keyboard/ mouse and monitor, so building it is quite easy.

As the computer is not meant to be the all powerful, i am not too bothered about the speed of the Hard drive.

As I have a wireless router at home I bought a NetGear WG11 Wireless PC Card which took no time to set up £23.45 inc vat.

I have looked at the dashboard and most of them are lacking in comon sense , so when I have time ( and most importantly I feel like it ) I will knock up something more to my taste.

I did notice that microsoft have autoroute with GPS antenna on special offer for £100 on the pcworld website.

The downside with this system is it's size, it not what i would call the most compact thing in the world. It could fit very easy in to the storage area behind the passengers seat, or if need be a custom container could be built to store in one of the little boxes behind the seats ( between the speakers).

Removing the centre console is not too difficult and people have mentioned which touch screen can fit in there. Running the wires to the PC whether its under or behind the passengers seat is not a problem as it seems most of them have extension leads.

The only part I have not looked at is the wring from the PC into the car's electrical system

• 1 month later...

Looks good :p

I'm also installing a carputer in my roadster but I'm loathe to take out the Bose stereo multi changer, does anyone know how to get an AUX in to this unit as the Nissan Sat Nav units must be integrated into the head unit but I cant find out how. :wacko:

Also where are you mounting your pc box as so far the only place I can find that has any space is the glove box behind the passenger seat but this has no ventilation.

I was looking under the seats but with the heated seat harnesses there is no room.

Took the dash out yesterday and the 7" Touchscreen will fit nicely with only a small bit of modification.

Using Centrafuse as my integration screen found this to be simplest and most reliable. www.centrafuse.com