brake pad confusion - help please!!

zedwagon

i have a jdm with brembos and need to change the front pads

i was going to get the EBC redstuff but after reading the "warning" earlier have been put off

i don't want to spend a fortune, but am finding my brakes at the moment to be rubbish and on the wales run earlier in the year it was a bit scary as to how rubbish they were

which are the best to go for without spending a fortune? (no track use)

or does anyone have a comprehensive list of pads and prices and where its best to get them from ?

and ... is it ok to change the front to better ones and leave rear as they are?

any guidance appreciated!

Red stuff will be fine!

I ran them on mine, in fact I have a set of rears kicking about the garage I can fire down to you if you decide to do both.

As discussed (briefly) check the discs out for condition and it might be worth changing the fluid too.

It'll be like a new car!

Edited to say

And give it a clean and get the calipers waxed while you're at it! :lol::lol::lol:

i have just received my ebc redstuff pads, will give a review once fitted.

I wouldnt take too much notice of that WARNING post, plenty of people have them on here and rate them, i am sure there are better fast road pads out there but i think for the money they are a good upgrade over oem.

The pads in that post had blatantly been mistreated! And it was from an MG ZR forum...need i say more :lol:

Redstuff will be fine if you stay away from hardcore track sessions. I think you will only destroy them if they get majorly overheated.

TBH I dont think my DS2500 get enough rough treatment for me to get the best out of them as they never get hot enough normal driving so the pad material wears off the disc. Redstuff would probably be better if you do mainly road driving.

CS, is it worth it for a car that wouldn't be tracked etc? Im guessing there is a reason you went for Reds rather than Yellows.

Stew, in all fairness, the Yellows are labeled as a track pad, this is true, it’s also suitable for fast road and heavy braking too, so for day to day driving they do work, however, in my opinion the Redstuff pads are more grounded for day to day use… :thumbs:

Red stuff will be fine!

I ran them on mine, in fact I have a set of rears kicking about the garage I can fire down to you if you decide to do both.

As discussed (briefly) check the discs out for condition and it might be worth changing the fluid too.

It'll be like a new car!

Edited to say

And give it a clean and get the calipers waxed while you're at it! :lol::lol::lol:

hi stew

thanks for that

it may get a wash sometime soon - you never know!! ;)

p.s. nearly called you stewie - too much of that hilariously funny programme!! :lol:;)

any other advances of red or yellow...?

I'm not saying to steer clear of the redstuff pads, but from my own experience i'd never use them again. Fitted them to my type R and i bedded the pads to the disc's, (which i also changed to EBC) as recommended. I never felt confident while braking, the fade was terrible. :scare: Eventually i replaced with genuine honda parts,and when i took the pads and disc's off, they were worn and cracked really badly.

I bought the car brand new and replaced the brakes after 30,000 miles with the Ebc brakes. Another 8,000 miles later i was replacing them back to oem. My confidence was back and even took the car to the "ring"!! after putting another 10,000 miles on the brakes. Needless to say the brakes performed brilliantly, with no fade.

As i said thats my own personal experience and i'm sure those problems don't happen to every one.

On my 350z i've replaced the front discs with DBA4000's and replaced front and rear pads with ferodo DS2500's. Overall a very good combination, and will be more than confident taking it to the ring. Done about 2,500 miles so far and they still look like new. Happy days :thumbs:

I'd avoid anything from EBC myself, ive only ever heard bad things, pads disintigrating and the discs warping/cracking.

The ferodo pads are meant to be good, i also rate the Dixcel ones i have and mintex make some great pads too. Spend a bit more, its your safety at stake aswell!

TBH I dont think my DS2500 get enough rough treatment for me to get the best out of them as they never get hot enough normal driving so the pad material wears off the disc. Redstuff would probably be better if you do mainly road driving.

I'm agreeing with you atm Chris, i have the Carbon Ceramic type Dixcel pads, and in this cold icy/wet weather they dont perform all that well. Never hit them hard enough to get any heat in them / pad on the discs.

On the plus side tho, even with all this slow braking, no squeal or anything which is a plus.

thanks for all the replies :)

what a minefield and this is just brake pads!! :blush:

still deciding...

DS2500 are a safe bet. Lots of happy users. Only Sarnie moans about them squealing, but I dont think he broke them in properly. I didnt at first and mine sqealed but they are fine now :thumbs:

Dixcel are meant to be good and we have a couple of users with them (Adrian and Stew IIRC), but not as much feedback yet as something like the established DS2500.

has anyone used/got any comments on the Ferodo DS Performance pads??

sounds like they may be a happy medium

thanks again

I’ve sold a set to a none-forum member, who is happy with their performance, they’re also hugely popular with the TT owners, in fact it’s their preferred pad… :thumbs:

Quick info on the Ferodo DS Performance pads, basically you don’t need to maintain and build up high temperature to obtain maximum braking performance, which is what you need with the DS2500 pads in order for them to perform to their full potential.

The DS2500 is labelled as a racing/track pad, where it will utilise its full potential due the braking heat involved, however it is also suitable for road use too.

That’s why I always say that the DS performance pads are a happy-medium pads, better than OEM and easier to use for day to day drivng compared to the DS2500 pads... :thumbs:

Quick info on the Ferodo DS Performance pads, basically you don’t need to maintain and build up high temperature to obtain maximum braking performance, which is what you need with the DS2500 pads in order for them to perform to their full potential.

The DS2500 is labelled as a racing/track pad, where it will utilise its full potential due the braking heat involved, however it is also suitable for road use too.

That’s why I always say that the DS performance pads are a happy-medium pads, better than OEM and easier to use for day to day drivng compared to the DS2500 pads... :thumbs:

Sounds like what I'll go with next :thumbs: