Winter sports break

ab350z

Probably a few skiers/boarders on here, was wondering if anyone can recommend a cheap and cheerful winter sports destination, couple hours flight from these shores with guaranteed snow. Getting fed up with the lottery of the Scottish resorts, was up this weekend and it was complete crap!

If you are thinking cheap then you will have to avoid most of the main euro resorts.

This year there are not many last minute deals to be had - we got a weeks catered holiday for <£200 but this year your looking around the £300 mark.

That combined with the crap euro means that lift tickets are silly money i.e. our Alpe D'Huez ticket for next week is over £180

The conditions in europe do look good though - haven't had much snow in the last week but there is plenty on the slopes. looks like there might be some coming at the start of the week

Bulgaria is quite cheep and cheerfull so i have heard. Would defo recommend Italy as Adam suggests though, but not the cheepest. Went boarding to Andorra last season, was really cheep, went to Arinsal, snow was crappy (was late season) but Pal and Arcalis (two mountains next to it) had really great powder. Really quite cheep too, well somethings wern't too cheep, like medical expenses - wish i didnt break my arm now!!! lol - hence a no no to Arinsal itself, AKA the ice mountain of death!!

was at soldeu in andorra last year,

fantastic place, nice snow was there over new year.

but la thuile beat that with this years 2 constant days of snow, only wouldn't recommend vallee blanche to a boarder, to many flat icy bits.

hold on this summerises last weeks holiday.

n504973641_1936373_6206.jpg

me on the left (up to my waist) and my mate on the right (he stood in my board track so didn't sink too much!

Nice one Adam :thumbs: la thuile - oh yes top place indeed :thumbs: my first skiing trip and ski lessons!

It was -32 when I went the sort of temperature you dont know your nose is running constantly ! :lol:

Best bit is popping over the top to France .. value for money eh - 2 countries!! :lol::headhurt:

i had to walk back up out the gully lol,

then ended up on more off piste (followed a mate who was ski'ing)

ended up below the piste so had to once again walk up a steeper hill, in that depth of snow.

soar legs till the end of the week (including the vallee blanche run on tired legs)

will post up a good video tho

when i was doing the walk (back up the powder hill) i hated it,

the most tiring soarest 30mins of my life (well it felt like it at the time)

but then thinking back the 10minutes on the powder before having to walk was perfect,

it was dream like, and i'd do that 30minute walk all over again (well i sorta did with vallee blanche)

and Vallee blanche was horrible whilst doing it, flat sections, icy sections, flat and icy sections and then a big walk up a hill (not in powder tho ) was hell, trying to push along on powder with one foot but sinking each time. but i love knowing i can say "i snowboarded valllee blanche" and the bits of powder we hit were brilliant but still wouldn't recommend it.

Adam

Tignes in France is good - always lots of snow late in the season as its very high. Have been a few times on late season deals, never been dissapointed. Although I did get a lot more Euros to the Pound!

+1 I love it in Tignes:

Miscellaneous154.jpg

Went to Morillon in France last year and that was ace too :thumbs: